Who's Eating Clean? Wanna Connect

Options
I was at my heaviest 3 years ago and lost that first 15lbs but stayed in a weight loss slump until this year. I sort of started a cleaner eating program back in Jan 2012 and then last month found Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet books and made more of a transition to clean eating. I LOVE it!! I get to eat great food and drop weight. I also started lifting weights a few weeks ago based on Reno's Workout book. (Still doing cardio 2 - 3 times a week too)

I'm down 17lbs since Jan when I started cutting out processed foods, sugar and white flour.

Who else is eating clean and loves it? Would love to connect with more clean eaters to gather tips, motivation and support.

Feel free to friend me!

Replies

• healthymission92
    Options
    I do! I'm more 80% atm but always looking to improve.
  • amandask66
    amandask66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat clean! Feel free to add me.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have begun a cleaner eating lifestyle as well. Feel free to add me! Also, which book of hers have you read? I am looking to download one to my kindle. :)
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I started with the Eat Clean Diet Recharged. That's a real good one to start with. Since then I've bought the Eat Clean Diet Workout book and the Eat Clean with Kids and Family. I have 3 small boys and need to find good meals that are clean and they'll eat. Really good ideas and recipes.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm working on it. I eat clean about 60% of the time, I think.

It's tough with teenagers and a hubby who resists stuff thats not junk...but Im working on it.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I guess I made a New Year's resolution to try to eat clean most of the time. I never heard of this Eating Clean and these books before I joined MFP about a week ago. I just try to avoid anything processed and eat lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, meat and eggs as much as possible. There are occasions I can't control this, like when I travel.

I had a glance at the Eat Clean website for was surprised to see pasta and breads there, so now I'm not really sure what eating clean means. I would love for someone to define it for me. I'm not sure that I want to buy a book just to find out.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I guess I made a New Year's resolution to try to eat clean most of the time. I never heard of this Eating Clean and these books before I joined MFP about a week ago. I just try to avoid anything processed and eat lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, meat and eggs as much as possible. There are occasions I can't control this, like when I travel.

I had a glance at the Eat Clean website for was surprised to see pasta and breads there, so now I'm not really sure what eating clean means. I would love for someone to define it for me. I'm not sure that I want to buy a book just to find out.

I wouldn't worry too much about being extremely "clean" (eating, I mean). I always try my best but things aren't always easy to get. Somtimes I feel I should just go with the flow and enjoy instead of being hard core on everything. :)

I try to eliminate processed food anywhere I can without being too hard on myself. I buy organic strawberries (yeah, this is must). I eat organic eggs and chicken meat. Organic turkey is not always to find at local market. I eat lots of vegetables but not much fruit other than berries and bananas. I bake beans from raw. The only think I can't make is the roasted turkey breast. :( I have to stick with the costco oven roasted turkey breast.

I can't take too much dairy except for a bit feta cheese and a slice of swiss in my whole wheat sandwich. I do buy organic yogurt from trader joes (love the store). I don't use white sugar but take stevia and natural honey.

I do drink coffee. Old habits die hard. :brokenheart:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I avoid processed food, added sugar and have cut grains completely ... Can I join? :)

Be warned, I drink dirty though ... Red, red wine ...
  • Mellie289
    Options

I wouldn't worry too much about being extremely "clean" (eating, I mean). I always try my best but things aren't always easy to get. Somtimes I feel I should just go with the flow and enjoy instead of being hard core on everything. :)

I try to eliminate processed food anywhere I can without being too hard on myself. I buy organic strawberries (yeah, this is must). I eat organic eggs and chicken meat. Organic turkey is not always to find at local market. I eat lots of vegetables but not much fruit other than berries and bananas. I bake beans from raw. The only think I can't make is the roasted turkey breast. :( I have to stick with the costco oven roasted turkey breast.

I can't take too much dairy except for a bit feta cheese and a slice of swiss in my whole wheat sandwich. I do buy organic yogurt from trader joes (love the store). I don't use white sugar but take stevia and natural honey.

I'm presuming the Eating Clean plan means eating organic then? That's too expensive for me to do for everything, so I try to follow that rule of buying organic for the dirty dozen, but not for the clean fifteen -- so I can see that is a must for strawberries. :smile:

Oh, is coffee a no-no too? I guess I'm not clean eating then! LOL!
  • albayin
    Options

I'm presuming the Eating Clean plan means eating organic then? That's too expensive for me to do for everything, so I try to follow that rule of buying organic for the dirty dozen, but not for the clean fifteen -- so I can see that is a must for strawberries. :smile:

Oh, is coffee a no-no too? I guess I'm not clean eating then! LOL!

Oh dear, just like you, I don't know if there's a clear rule or explanation on "clean eating". If we want to persue it all the way...oh well...I wonder what the point would be staying alive since we can't enjoy anything pretty much. :) But I think organic is a big deal all in all, especially in crops and dairy products, I assume?
  • jdmey
    jdmey Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been working on eating cleaner for the past 3 months. My daughter loaned me her copy of The Omnivore's Dilemma and after reading that, it convinced me that I wanted to eliminate as many processed foods from my diet as possible. I still have a ways to go, but I'm finding that I have more energy and feel more upbeat as I go along.
  • Mellie289
    Options
    Okay, my good friend Google just helped me out:

"In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it."

A person that eats clean generally practices the following:

Eliminates refined sugar
    Cooks healthy meals
    Packs healthy meals
    Makes healthy choices when dining out
    Drinks a lot of water
    Eats 5-6 small meals per day
    Eliminates alcoholic beverages (or significantly limits it)
    Always eats breakfast"
    http://eatingcleanworks.com/what-is-eating-clean.html

That's me for the most part except for the 5-6 small meals per day. I have tried that before and it's not a manageable lifestyle for me. I eat when I'm hungry and that's usually only 4 times a day. I'm losing weight and not hungry all the time, and I feel really good, so I'm not changing that to fit somebody's diet program.
  • albayin
    Options
    Okay, my good friend Google just helped me out:

"In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it."

A person that eats clean generally practices the following:

Eliminates refined sugar
    Cooks healthy meals
    Packs healthy meals
    Makes healthy choices when dining out
    Drinks a lot of water
    Eats 5-6 small meals per day
    Eliminates alcoholic beverages (or significantly limits it)
    Always eats breakfast"
    http://eatingcleanworks.com/what-is-eating-clean.html

That's me for the most part except for the 5-6 small meals per day. I have tried that before and it's not a manageable lifestyle for me. I eat when I'm hungry and that's usually only 4 times a day. I'm losing weight and not hungry all the time, and I feel really good, so I'm not changing that to fit somebody's diet program.

I am not trying to discourage you but ...what about GMOs...they are every where and they are ....virtually man made. LOL Not to mention those hormone and antibiotic fed animals...

As for eating 5-6 times...now I start questioning the credibility of the site you quoted. :) I am not questioning whether it's good or not but rather...how would that be part of "eating clean"? *scratching my head*
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do my best to eat clean, and I'd say I succeed 85% of the time. Feel free to friend me!
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    In the past week, I am attempting to eat "clean" or at least cleaner. I find my appetite is very satisfied and often have an issue eating all of my calories. I am not or have ever been a huge snack eater, so I find cucumbers to be my fav. I have been given advice to eat more almonds, peanut butter, or nutrition bars, so I am hoping to find more clean foods to help up my calorie intake. CLEAN ON!
  • albayin
    Options
    In the past week, I am attempting to eat "clean" or at least cleaner. I find my appetite is very satisfied and often have an issue eating all of my calories. I am not or have ever been a huge snack eater, so I find cucumbers to be my fav. I have been given advice to eat more almonds, peanut butter, or nutrition bars, so I am hoping to find more clean foods to help up my calorie intake. CLEAN ON!

Personally I wouldn't quality "nutrition bars" as part of "clean eating". But that's just IMHO. :)
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know the nutrition bars and breakfast bars are too high in processed sugar to even be considered clean, but some were even suggesting I have a milkshake and McD's cheeseburgers (gross) to fill my calorie quota as well as calling it bulls*&^ that I am not hungry and cannot finish my calories for the day, but exercising everyday substantially affects my appetite. Besides having hypothyroidism, my lack of exercise activity was a big part of my weight issue, but that all changed 6/09/12.
  • Mellie289
    Options

I am not trying to discourage you but ...what about GMOs...they are every where and they are ....virtually man made. LOL Not to mention those hormone and antibiotic fed animals...

As for eating 5-6 times...now I start questioning the credibility of the site you quoted. :) I am not questioning whether it's good or not but rather...how would that be part of "eating clean"? *scratching my head*
    I'm not afraid of GMOs. I'm a scientist and have a very thorough understanding of how they are made. In fact, I think they complement the desire for more organically grown foods... meaning less pesticides that we know of truly harmful to the environment and health.

Yeah, the eating 5-6 times seems peripheral to eating clean.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Jack Lalanne defined clean eating.
    If man makes it, don't eat it.
    Whole foods only.
    I am a work in progress.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Michis ladder? Thats my attempt at clean eating..... 5 tiers of food the top 2 are where I try to stay at. for the most part..My clean eating probably doesn't cut it for the hard core cleanies:)