I just can't eat all my calories....

Options
I am having a devil of a time eating all of my calories lately.

Replies

• wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Go for quality and not quantity. Eat high calorie healthy foods, like avocados, almonds, peanut butter.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I will gladly take your extras.

There are many high calorie foods that are very healthy. Peanut butter, avocado, full fat dairy, etc. Google health high calorie food you will find lots of sites with good ideas.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta with olive oil, that's high inthe good stuff!! Can you eat some snacks in between meals? Like fruit or veggies?
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    That is a rediculous statement. Go get a milkshake and that will be 600 calories all by itself. Have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with extra peanut butter and fluffy homemade bread and now you are at 500 calories in just one sandwich. Its not hard at all.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    That is a rediculous statement. Go get a milkshake and that will be 600 calories all by itself. Have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with extra peanut butter and fluffy homemade bread and now you are at 500 calories in just one sandwich. Its not hard at all.
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    This absurd notion that we forget how to eat seems like a grab for attention.
    JUST EAT!
    Have a McD Cheeseburger or 2.
    Problem solved.:yawn:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Research calorie dense foods. You can consume a lot of calories in very little volume (peanut butter, avocado, milk, nuts, seeds).
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I just can't even imagine having this problem. I've seen it posted here a lot and I just don't get it - are you not active? The more you move, the more your body craves more, but heck, even when I sit at a desk all day, I fight the urge not to eat. I feel hungry a lot - I have no idea how you could have trouble eating 1200. I have trouble not eating 1200 over...
  • Jennaissance
    Jennaissance Posts: 212
    Options
    Sometimes it is hard... on days where I bike 20 miles to work and back and stop at the gym on the way home I'll find myself with 1,200+ calories left for dinner. I just can't do it.

If you get a lot of caloriess back from exercise, log the exercise you think you'll do before you do it and try to put extra calories in your breakfast and lunch - it's more motivation to actually do that exercise, too!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't start drinking milkshakes or eating fluffy peanut butter sandwiches, but how about adding some fruit, nuts, smoothies? You ate a piece of pork for lunch. Obviously that isn't enough food.
  • imlik
    imlik Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just can't even imagine having this problem. I've seen it posted here a lot and I just don't get it - are you not active? The more you move, the more your body craves more, but heck, even when I sit at a desk all day, I fight the urge not to eat. I feel hungry a lot - I have no idea how you could have trouble eating 1200. I have trouble not eating 1200 over...

Well, for example, my BMR is about 1750, and I exercise a lot. So I try to eat back some of the exercise calories, too. Since I've been buying a lot less junk food, it's weird balance of getting enough calories/so much volume of food that you just can't eat any more.

I've actually found that on my rest days, it's really easy to eat 2000 calories or more. On days I exercise, it seems like I'm just not as hungry. *shrugs*

OP, I get where you're coming from! I just posted about it myself. Grab some nuts, dark chocolate in small portions, some straight up milk, a meal replacement bar, or if you have to, go out and grab a jr hamburger from Wendy's or Burger King. And if you notice that, in general, in the beginning of the day, you eat light, try adding some higher calorie stuff into your breakfast and lunch :)
  • leserpent
    leserpent Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    This absurd notion that we forget how to eat seems like a grab for attention.
    JUST EAT!
    Have a McD Cheeseburger or 2.
    Problem solved.:yawn:

mcd's? that stuff isn't even food... gross. i'm sure you could eat 600 cals of cardboard too. wonder what that'll do for your insides...
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time since I'm trying to gain but I discovered liquids again.

Juice & Milk
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I work out to Insanity 5-6 days a week, walk, and have begun light weight training. The problem seems to be that I am not hungry.
  • findingme07
    Options
    I will try my double fiber bread with chunky peanut butter. I can't eat McD's....that's just gross not to mention totally unhealthy processed garbage.... I am not a fan of ground meat. I am keeping my carbs to 100 and eat only whole grains and double fiber.

thanks for all the suggestions.
  • findingme07
    Options
    I will reincorporate my heavy cream in my coffee.....I gave it up and miss it SO much! Thanks :drinker:
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I can empathize. Especially since I don't want to add junk food to my diet just to make my calorie range. Try drinking your calories. Vanilla almond milk is my new favorite thing. I always chug some at the end of the day just to get to my limit.
  • bigdaddynb
    Options
    I understand about not being able to eat all your calories. After my stints in the ER and then an inpatient stay for heart trouble, my cardiologist put me on Bystolic and now Lasix as well. I also take potassium as a supplement (due to the Lasix) as well as omneprazole for GERD and a low-dose heart aspirin each day. I have to sleep now with a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. All of these are recent developments. Because I need to lose a lot of weight, my gastroenterologist put me on a low calorie, low fat diet and the cardiologist added low salt, plus I have to avoid foods that trigger my GERD. There are a lot of foods I cannot eat simply because it may trigger an acid reflux attack and there are foods I cannot eat because they are so high in salt or high in fat. The medicine slows down my heart rate and makes me not want to eat too much either. I'm lucky if I can get myself to eat 1400 to 1600 calories in a day right now. I'm just now trying to get active by walking some too, doing what I can to trim down. I'm trying to lose my weight in a healthy manner, but I simply cannot push myself to eat any more. It's ironic because I used to eat way too much at meals and now people look at me and say, "How can you eat so little?"
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I work out to Insanity 5-6 days a week, walk, and have begun light weight training. The problem seems to be that I am not hungry.

I'm not convinced that hunger is a good guide about how much to eat for many of us.
    I find that I'm so much healthier and happier (and thinner!) eating a regular amount of calories each day whether I'm hungry or not.

It sounds as though the issues is about learning how to eat well when you've made a change away from eating big volume of low-nutrition food. Go for calorie dense foods like nuts, full fat dairy, oils, avocado, rice, pasta, grainy breads, red meat, salmon etc.
    Don't eat "diet" foods. It's not hard, it just takes practice and you will be doing your body a favour by giving it lots of good nutrition which is going to get you healthy and staying that way.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I call bullsh!t. :laugh:
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced that hunger is a good guide about how much to eat for many of us.
    I find that I'm so much healthier and happier (and thinner!) eating a regular amount of calories each day whether I'm hungry or not.

I have found this to be true as well. The ONLY time I plateau and feel crappy is when I go off MFP for a while and stop logging calories and only "eat when I'm hungry." Those days I will net 700 or less calories because I'm usually NOT hungry, so I don't eat. I make it a point to eat 1875 every day and I feel great on those days. I have found that planning ahead is the key - my breakfast and lunch rotate between 2 different meals. I figure out my dinner for the day that morning, and I can then bump up my snacks or add an apple to my oatmeal or sweet potato chips with my sandwich if I need to. I rarely have a deficit at the end of the day.