Need help with BMR, TDEE, and calorie count for MFP

Options
Currently, my MFP calorie level is 2050. According to FitFrog.com, my BMR IS 2750 and my TDEE is 3800. After I do all the math it seems like in theory I should lose nearly 3.5lbs/wk. That would be great, but I know it isn't a sustainable plan for a number of reasons. If all I have said is, in fact, correct do I need to take in more calories? Or sit back and enjoy the ride? Something else? Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    What's your height current weight and goal weight?
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the top secret calculations. It is what I'm using right now...we'll see what happens!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It really is up to you and what you think will work best for you. Your TDEE minus 20% is 3080.
  • monkeynumber100
    monkeynumber100 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thx for the link, Steph!!! You rock!
  • monkeynumber100
    Options
    What's your height current weight and goal weight?

6' 0"...330...230. Go Cap'n go!
  • wdwithers
    wdwithers Posts: 36
    Options
    I know what BMR and calorie count is, but what is TDEE
  • monkeynumber100
    Options
    I know what BMR and calorie count is, but what is TDEE

Total Daily Energy Expenditure....basically what you actually burn each day including exercise (on average).
  • Buddhatara
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs before I had my kids (when I gained it all back *facepalm*) and didn't do any fancy calculations. Basically, regardless of what my calorie expenditure was, if I just added a zero to my current weight and used that as a maximum calorie intake, I'd lose weight. It was a real bummer once I got down to 150 lbs but that was what I needed to do to maintain. Add an hour of moderate exercise to that and it worked for me. :smile:
  • monkeynumber100
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs before I had my kids (when I gained it all back *facepalm*) and didn't do any fancy calculations. Basically, regardless of what my calorie expenditure was, if I just added a zero to my current weight and used that as a maximum calorie intake, I'd lose weight. It was a real bummer once I got down to 150 lbs but that was what I needed to do to maintain. Add an hour of moderate exercise to that and it worked for me. :smile:

Tara...that is genius!!! So simple.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Remember your TDEE includes exercise, but MFP's numbers do not. That is why, if you read the actually directions for how to use MFP, you find you are supposed to eat the calories you burn exercising. If you do, you will find you get quite close to a more moderate calorie deficit. If you don't, you end up with a huge deficit.
  • monkeynumber100
    Options
    Makes total sense. MFP just built in the deficit based on my BMR and my goal. Thank you sir!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Harris Benedict Equation puts your BMR at 2757.

Add a sedentary level multiplier of x1.2 for your TDEE = 3308

Knock 20% off that, in fact, for individuals over 300lb it's quite acceptable to do even more, let's say 25%
    = 2481 (just round it to 2500) daily calorie allowance on days when you don't exercise

That's a deficit of 827 cals per day, so on paper it should bag you a gentle 1.6lb a week loss (it won't work that smooth in real life though, obviously, you might lose 2lbs one week and none the next for example).

On days where you exercise, you'll want to eat back at least some of the extra cals you earn through exercise. Best way to get these accurately is to use a good quality heart rate monitor like a polar FT7. I never recommend you eat back all the exercise cals because it's way too common to overestimate them and end up cancelling out your hard work by eating too much.

Final word - all the above numbers are, as always just generic guesstimates based on your current stats. Your metabolism will differ in subtle ways from everyone else. The only use for that 2500 cal daily allowance number is as a ballpark starting point. From there, weigh in once a month and see where you are headed. If you're losing at a satisfactory pace, cool; if you're not, knock another 250 cals off your allowance and try it again. Rinse and repeat until you find your own correct numbers.