Need Help For College Next Year and Eating Right!!

Options
Hi Everyone! I recently just started using myfitnesspal! I am going to be going into college next year and would like to get some support from others that are going to try and not gain anymore weight "freshman 15"! haha. I would love any new friends to help motivate eachother that are in college too

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I just graduated... quick tips:
    1. If you're required to get a meal plan, try shopping at a market if your school has one that accepts meal plans. It's more expensive than a regular grocery store, but it's better than eating at the cafeteria.

2. buy groceries and make your own food. If you go out to eat, buy what you can make yourself at home (a steak is a steak wherever you go).

3. Actually use the rec center! Lots of people at my school don't use our rec center for whatever reason, even though its a multi-million dollar facility. They'll probably offer classes and stuff.

4. Don't be afraid to say no to food. If you ate dinner, and people want to get pizza at midnight (it will happen) you can say no if you don't have the calories!

good luck!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you are living on campus and have to eat in a dinning hall it will be hard. I gained like 20 extra pounds will in college because of all the unhealthy food. Ask your campus for nutritional information of the food and plan carefully
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Same as me! Starting college this fall, superrr scared of the freshman 15, wanna eat right and workout in college!!
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    dining halls are hard, but most have a salad bar and cereal, also an omelet station, so those things can be really healthy if you choose to make them that way. and like stated earlier, USE THE REC CENTER!! I went to a small school so it was almost always empty when i wanted to go.
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was so afraid of gaining wait my freshman year that I lost 10-15 lbs. I just made decent choices and did a lot of walking around campus. I lived on campus and ate in the cafeteria with no problems. College cafeteria's know that there are people trying to make healthy choices so they offer those, you just have to have the willpower to choose Subway over Pizza Hut, salad bar instead of spaghetti.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I gained the "freshman 30" while I was in school. Lost it all plus some the summer after freshman year. My biggest changes were:

Eliminate pop/soda
    Eliminate tons of beer
    Don't go out to eat after the bars close
    Cut way down on pizza, burgers, candy, fast food, take out, etc.
    Exercise every day, even if I only had 15 or 20 minutes, I was doing something active everyday
    Walk to class instead of taking the shuttle
    My University offered exercise classes; I took a Phy Ed class every semester, like dance, aerobics, etc.
    I made better choices, fruits, vegetables, salads, cereals, lean meat
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    simple tips (that I failed at miserably so no judgment if you do too) for surviving residence at college

1) French fries are available at every meal but should really be avoided;
    2) ditto for pop and juice, both are pretty much empty calories;
    3) you don't have to have ice cream and dessert every day just because it's available;
    4) Waffles are a sometimes food;
    5) and the most important one: ALCOHOL = Weight Gain! I'm not saying don't drink, just remember that beyond all the silly things that you may do when you are drunk, like go for 1000 calorie recovery meals, each drink can be high in calories, particularly if it's a sugary "girly" drink.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just saw this link on pinterest.

I gained way too many pounds in college - that is why I am here -- HA!

So best of luck to you on your journey and I hope this helps.

http://www.theleangreenbean.com/how-to-eat-healthy-in-college/#comment-13199
  • BresFitnessPal
    Options
    There is three different meal plans. 10 meals a week. 10 meals a week plus 150 dollars semester and 15 meals plus 175 dollars. should i get a smaller meal plan to make my own food in the dorm? or is that a bad idea? Thank you for all the great tips!! They will be very handy for next year!!!!!! :)
  • parisiantwyst
    Options
    Just be aware of what your body NEEDS to eat versus what looks appealing at the dining hall. Sure, Pizza is going to look better than mushy veggies any day of the week, but is 300 calories for a slice of pizza what you really need?
    Keep it up and go to the gym as well- remember, if you work it off, you should maintain. If you don't? You know the rest!

Feel free to add me!
  • bjc101
    bjc101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There is a good chance your school will have a dietetics program and a dietician who would be glad to work with you in developing a plan. Also, as another person wrote, go to the gym or fitness center. Never again in your life will you have access to the great opportunities for fitness and working out as is available at today's colleges. Set your goals on being healthy, eating healthy and making smart lifestyle choices. You've already taken the first steps by saying you don't want to be one of those who packs on the weight in school, so don't do it. Be the person who others look at and hate because you look so darn good!
  • Brittni__duh
    Brittni__duh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Another thing that will be helpful is planning ahead. If you know you have 5 hours of class back to back, pick up a snack in an on-campus market or the dining hall (if they allow it). Grab a piece of fruit and throw it in your backpack so you're not tempted to get chips or a candy bar from the vending machine in between classes. That was my biggest problem. Our vending machines on campus could be used with our student ID instead of cash. I bought way too many sodas and fruit snacks when I was too busy to get a full meal.
  • seejulesrun
    seejulesrun Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did for myself and my eating in college (and I'm still in college) is buy myself a mini freezer. I didn't even know they existed until checking out Walmart.com. Even with my required meal plan, I feel like I don't want to eat any of the crap they serve on campus AND I have some weird food allergies. Being able to stock up on bulk veggies and make meals/freeze leftovers has been such a savior when it comes to getting healthy. I work in Residence Life, and while I can't speak on behalf of all colleges out there - if your college lets you have a mini fridge, they will most likely allow a mini freezer. :)

On top of the freezer thing, look into getting some microwave steaming bowls. I have a set of these in different sizes:

http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-1101-Small-Microwave-Steamer/dp/B005D6XXPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342065098&sr=8-1&keywords=sistema+steam

They help you reheat leftovers OR steam chicken breasts and fish and veggies and whatever else you'd want to steam for healthy college eating. And with not having to use pots and pans and a stove, there's less clean up. So helpful in a college setting. :)