Curly haired girls

Options

Replies

• Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use both of Garnier Fruictisse's curl cream and curl mousse. The mousse is for the back of my hair because it doesn't curl as much as the front, and the cream keeps frizz down and promotes your natural curls. :)
    I also use sulfate-free cleansing conditioner, I forget the brand but its a bronze bottle and you can get it at a drugstore.
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love love love all the products in the DEVACurl line....it's not cheap but I haven't found anything else that leaves my curls as soft and smooth as these products. The No-poo shampoo doesn't lather...wierd but the lather isn't necessary to get the hair clean and it actually dries it out.

I love my curls....I just wish my curls were uniform! One side of the head is curlier than the other!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My Fave Products:

It's a Ten Leave In Conditioner
    Goldwell Dynamic Loop Curl Spray (creates PERFECT frizz free loopy curls)
    Aveda Air Control Hair Spray
    Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious Conditioner
    Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost (smells AMAZING and doesnt leave your hair crunchy)
    Oidad Botanical Boost (leaves your hair frizz free and super soft)
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So many great responses here, gonna hafta try a bunch of them!!
    I don't have the patience to straighten my hair either, even though I'm not a fan of my hair, lol. I don't brush it, just use my fingers to comb thru after the shower, and then I put on aloe vera gel. after that's squished in I use Tresemme curl creme. There isn't any hold to it so my hair isn't crunchy and doesn't have the greasey/wet look. I used to use Big Sexy Hair Blow it up gel, and that worked about the same, but it was also about $15 more a can, and I have too much hair to spend that kind of money anymore, haha!
  • bananapopsicle1
    bananapopsicle1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love "Mixed Chicks" products (mixedchicks.net) , just use the leave in conditioner on it's own, or use "Curl Keeper,a liquid gel where hair stays soft. ( curlyhairsolutions.com)
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Love all the responses and tips here! Thanks, girls, for sharing!
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Moroccan oil after shampooing, allowing it to air dry and my hair looks and feels great. I only shampoo 3 times a week. I love my hair and show off my curls whenever I can.
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    I had naturally curly red hair. The product that worked best for me was a Gillette Razor.

hahahaha. you should have kept your curly red hair!

and yeh i have curly hair, random mouse works well for me, and i curl the ends a bit more with a flat iron
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Keratin treatment has been perfect for me. Every 4 months I get it done and I wash and wear every day and I seem to get compliments on my hair every single day. It's also very useful when trying to hit the gym 6 days a week and don't have time for the blow dryer and flat iron, or are just too lazy to "do" the hair like I am!!

:drinker:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have naturally wavy hair that will curl if I pay attention to it (and if the weather isn't too dry) but loves to frizz more than anything else.
    I've had it cut short for about 6 months now, but before that the key for me was not shampooing too often. I rinse it to get the sweat out after exercising but I only use shampoo once a week or so. I use Moroccan oil or a leave in conditioner a couple of times a week too and that helps keep the frizz under control.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas! I've got naturally very curly thick hair, but mostly straighten it these days when it's not scrapped up in a messy bun for workouts lol but I go away to Corfu in just under 4 weeks and won't be straightening it in that heat. SO need ideas of what to use to make the curls looks lovely when I am there (I've straightened it for so long that I've forgotten how to style my curls lol) x
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I just have to stress how well the Rusk Mouse works!

It's been over 40% humidity every day around here, like every summer. By this time every year, I'm normally wearing my hair up in a ponytail everyday just to not deal with it.

But I started using this stuff only because the store didn't have my "normal" stuff there...and it totally works! It even maintains its hold through a couple workouts and sleeping on it a couple nights, so I only have to wash my hair every other day or so. Which you curly-haired girls KNOW is vital!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wash mine with conditioner, put in some type of mouse, let air dry and go.

If it gets crunchy feeling then I'll re-scruch or w/e.. but for the most part it's fine.

Exactly what I do. :-)

I have to laugh about the above post about 40% humidity. I'm in Florida. Try 90-100% humidity. When your mousse holds up to that (mine does), I'll be impressed. lol
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

If it gets crunchy feeling then I'll re-scruch or w/e.. but for the most part it's fine.

I have to laugh about the above post about 40% humidity. I'm in Florida. Try 90-100% humidity. When your mousse holds up to that (mine does), I'll be impressed. lol

Yeah, yeah. I know. I've been to Florida. :tongue:

But for here, this is awesome, and I'm happy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

From your photo, it doesn't look like your hair is quite as curly as mine, either. I could never get away with not washing my hair every day. Even if it still looks good when I wake up, by the end of the day it won't. But since I air dry and don't use any heat or damaging chemicals in it, it does fine with a daily wash. And when I work out, I sweat like a 400-pound man.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

From your photo, it doesn't look like your hair is quite as curly as mine, either. I could never get away with not washing my hair every day. Even if it still looks good when I wake up, by the end of the day it won't. But since I air dry and don't use any heat or damaging chemicals in it, it does fine with a daily wash. And when I work out, I sweat like a 400-pound man.

LOL! I sweat a lot too. I don't always blowdry my hair, but I do once in awhile. And I do get it dyed/highlighted every 6 weeks. So...yeah. I don't know what my point is.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Ringlet by Redken. Apply 1-2 pumps to towel dried hair and scrunch. It has the texture of a leave-in conditioner so your hair stays soft, but the hold of a gel so it doesn't get frizzy. It basically makes you look like you have naturally great curls. :-)

Also, use a good shampoo/conditioner. The cheap crap damages your hair and leaves it frizzy. Sulfate/paraben/silicone free is best. I like Nature's Rescue by Redken (especially after the gym) or "It's a 10".

I'm a fellow curly headed girl AND a hair stylist. :wink:
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Ringlet by Redken. Apply 1-2 pumps to towel dried hair and scrunch. It has the texture of a leave-in conditioner so your hair stays soft, but the hold of a gel so it doesn't get frizzy. It basically makes you look like you have naturally great curls. :-)

Also, use a good shampoo/conditioner. The cheap crap damages your hair and leaves it frizzy. Sulfate/paraben/silicone free is best. I like Nature's Rescue by Redken (especially after the gym) or "It's a 10".

I'm a fellow curly headed girl AND a hair stylist. :wink:

Maybe I'll try that one. I'll see if my hairdresser has it when I go to get my hair done next Wednesday.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use the Tressomme Curly products. I shampoo and conditioner in the shower, comb through with a wide toothed comb, and then tons of leave-in conditioner. Then I use the mousse and blow dry only till damp. Air dry the rest of the way.

I tried going no-poo, it has been 3 years, my scalp and hair is still recovering :( I got awful dandruff and I felt like I was loosing hair. Not cool. Don't think I'd ever try/recomend that ever again!!!!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I also "wash" mine with conditioner most days and shampoo only 2. I use Garnier Fructis leave in conditioner right after i get out of the shower which separates the curls and then I use their mousse. My only issue with the mousse is that it leaves my hair a little stiff which I hate, so I have to comb it out with my fingers after.