Replies

• Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Bacon, dried fruit..
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had a piece of salmon today that was 400 calories alone. Meat is relatively calorie dense. Dairy. Dried fruit. Beans/rice/wheat/oats but you say you aren't willing to eat starches.

Avoiding carbs entirely makes me feel like crap, and IMO eating real food is better for sustained health, but it's your choice. Do you plan to eat the way you eat now for the rest of your life?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Make your own granola maybe? You can find all kinds of recipes. I put dried dates, prunes, cherries in mine. Yams are yummy and good in calories I believe. Split peas made into a soup is a tasty lunch or dinner. You can take a look at my diary. It is by far not perfect but it may give you ideas.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Protein bars? some may have nuts but the kind I eat usually have about 200-350 calories a bar and have about 18-27 grams of protein. Sometimes they taste chalky, but honestly, I have not been eating sweets so they're sweet to me!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I had a piece of salmon today that was 400 calories alone. Meat is relatively calorie dense. Dairy. Dried fruit. Beans/rice/wheat/oats but you say you aren't willing to eat starches.

Avoiding carbs entirely makes me feel like crap, and IMO eating real food is better for sustained health, but it's your choice. Do you plan to eat the way you eat now for the rest of your life?

I never said i WOULDNT eat carbs, but i WILL forever measure them. I dont feel well when i eat too many carbs. Yes, i DO plan on eating this way the rest of my life.. after all, i want to get healthy (as stated in the first post) Im not here to drop a quick 25 and leave. I DO have real food, matter of fact, i buy NOTHING special.. nothing low fat, nothing organic.. i eat in portion control.. again.. i have a hard time EATING, which is why i asked this question. Eating is HARD for me.. i have been ill for so long, and food made me sick, so i never bothered with it more than i had to to live.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes to get the nutrition of the foods i dont eat. I use the Body by Vi, and i love it.. im just looking for some food ideas to complete my day. Thanks for all the info! =)
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Can you do eggs or oats? I eat that all the time for breakfast, 2 scrambled eggs, sometimes with cheese, and oatmeal and that usually puts me at like 300 cals right there.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Avocados
    Nuts
    Full fat milk
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    LOL at the amount of people who don't bother to read the original post or any of the responses.

SHE CANT EAT NUTS!!!! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL THIS WOMAN!? :tongue: :tongue:

Seeing as you want to limit carbs, you are going to have to increase fat intake

extra virgin olive oil
    butter
    dairy

You will only need a very small amount of these to add significant calories

Salmon can also be very calorie dense if you get the high fat content stuff, as can sirloin steak and other fatty cuts of meat
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinoa? It's used like rice, it's pretty versatile, plain it reminds me of original oatmeal, but I just had a "chicken n rice" type dinner with it.

I also like to mix up a smoothy if I'm low on calories or don't really want to eat i usually add flax seed(freshly ground) n some milk or yogurt to which ever fruits I have in the freezer adds up pretty well n isn't as taxing as another meal.

I also added olive oil for better fat.

And if you're uneasy with carb-like me snacking on good fairly lean proteins is good n if you add a little olive oil to that then u have more healthy fat with out the cholesterol of fatty meat.
  • PippaDAMR
    PippaDAMR Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a similar problem, I keep being told off for not eating enough calorie wise but I'm eating more than before I was on a diet! My sister suggested I use dressings on my salad to help up it and drink fruit juice.

Some friends suggested I eat dairy products like cheese and yoghurt and Mangos as apparently they are quite high but good fats too. And like Josie I've been making smoothies too.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested. Using healthy oils, like Olive Oil, Butter, Full Fat Milk, Avocado, Fruits, Meat other than Chicken, Fatty Fish.

You could also just slightly increase each meal by 50 calories or something? Use bigger plates giving you the impression that there isn't much on the plate. If you are having chicken, add an extra 50g or so to it, it really isn't a lot to add, but it's a great protein source. If you are making eggs, use the egg yolks, high in fat with not so much saturated fat and plenty of protein, also add some milk to it to keep them fluffy and soft.

Just adding a bit of extra food to each meal will help you get used to eating just that little bit extra. I used to eat only 1500 calories or so, I found it really easy to hit that target. I then went up to 1800 and found it hard to hit that, so I just increased each meal by a tiny bit and ate a snack in between, mainly peanut butter, but I think that little extra allowed me to eat more at meal time.

I'm now eating 2380. I try to get tons of protein in my diet, I plan out my meals and make sure I hit that protein target first then I try and move onto fat and whatever is left, is usually a little treat or a banana. I love banana's lol.

You can do it if you keep going at it. Just try and add that little bit extra to each meal and you will get used to it. You need to try now before you get to the point where you need to maintain and have to eat a hell of a lot more than 1200 calories.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested. Using healthy oils, like Olive Oil, Butter, Full Fat Milk, Avocado, Fruits, Meat other than Chicken, Fatty Fish.

You could also just slightly increase each meal by 50 calories or something? Use bigger plates giving you the impression that there isn't much on the plate. If you are having chicken, add an extra 50g or so to it, it really isn't a lot to add, but it's a great protein source. If you are making eggs, use the egg yolks, high in fat with not so much saturated fat and plenty of protein, also add some milk to it to keep them fluffy and soft.

Just adding a bit of extra food to each meal will help you get used to eating just that little bit extra. I used to eat only 1500 calories or so, I found it really easy to hit that target. I then went up to 1800 and found it hard to hit that, so I just increased each meal by a tiny bit and ate a snack in between, mainly peanut butter, but I think that little extra allowed me to eat more at meal time.

I'm now eating 2380. I try to get tons of protein in my diet, I plan out my meals and make sure I hit that protein target first then I try and move onto fat and whatever is left, is usually a little treat or a banana. I love banana's lol.

You can do it if you keep going at it. Just try and add that little bit extra to each meal and you will get used to it. You need to try now before you get to the point where you need to maintain and have to eat a hell of a lot more than 1200 calories.

I was pretty much going to say this. If I've got too many calories, I'll choose beef, lamb or salmon and I'll break out some noodles.

Another thing, I've seen people posting similar before, and when you look at their diary, it's all diet, low fat, weight watchers, rice cake, sugar free.... I'm just going to go ahead and assume you're not one of those.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I was pretty much going to say this. If I've got too many calories, I'll choose beef, lamb or salmon and I'll break out some noodles.

Another thing, I've seen people posting similar before, and when you look at their diary, it's all diet, low fat, weight watchers, rice cake, sugar free.... I'm just going to go ahead and assume you're not one of those.

There are times where I have low fat options, but it's like Margarine/Butter or Mayo. I enjoy meat, I do try to go for Lean or Extra Lean, mainly because of the saturated fat, but it still contains fat and it's what increases my calorie amount for the day. I don't eat processed diet meals like Weight Watchers, or anything like that. If there are two options of the same food, let's take an example out of my dairy. I enjoy baked beans, there are the regular kind and the low sugar and salt kind. I enjoy the low sugar and salt kind because they aren't putting something extra in it, they are just taking out a bit of the salt and a bit of the sugar.

I just don't understand some people, they choose these diet foods like you mentioned and wonder why they can't reach there goal when they most likely get there nutrition from carbs. They have quite a low protein goal and hardly get any fat, so it must be coming from carbs, but they are most likely on a low carb diet, so they are pretty much getting little to no food.

I used to go for low fat foods, and diet like meals last year and I used to think, everything that's low in fat is better for me because I'm not going to gain any weight. This year after reading many interesting posts and learning quite a lot, fat isn't bad for me, hell it's good for me, we need fat, it's just picking the right food that contain the right fat.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I quoted you but I was addressing the OP.

We're potentially off topic here, but I too fell for the diet food trap. I was only awakened by a fellow dieters angry rant about getting proper bread and having a decent f'ing sandwich that they actually find filling.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I just made a almond butter + apricot jam sandwich with gluten free bread. Most calories I've eaten in a long time, and it fit in the palm of my hand! 350 calories in total.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Houmous (made from chick peas)
    Taramasalata, etc - any Greek dips with pitta bread
    olives/cheeses

Creamy or Greek yogurts with honey
    seeds? - can u eat seeds? Pumpkin, sunflower, chia etc all have good fats.

Salmon fillets, oily fishes etc