need motivation! help!

Options
So I've been at 193 for weeks now, and yesterday I ate McD's for one meal, and this morning I'm at 195? Why? It makes me angry and lose focus. I need some motivational talk! It's your soap box my friends! Thank You!!:cry:

Replies

• katemadrigal
    Options
    I find that if I eat badly, that I should avoid the scale the day after...because that could sabotage me. I would stick to weighing in once a week (or less), and if you happen to over-induldge, take the next couple days to get ack on track, and you'll feel a lot better.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Did you eat fries? Your weight gain could be water weight. I have found when I eat take out it is loaded with salt and I retain water for a few days after. Make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water and take an extra walk. You lost it once don't give up. Rosemary :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • wallerinaprincess
    Options
    Good morning, Did you eat fries? Your weight gain could be water weight. I have found when I eat take out it is loaded with salt and I retain water for a few days after. Make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water and take an extra walk. You lost it once don't give up. Rosemary :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Oh yea, good call on the sodium from fries. I had a small, but still water weight gain I'm sure. Or atleast I hope. :grumble:
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Fries get me every time. If I don't eat the fries and then weigh next--nothing. I do eat the fries and weigh the next day I'm up like half a pound... but I don't even finish a small fry anymore..
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    So I've been at 193 for weeks now, and yesterday I ate McD's for one meal, and this morning I'm at 195? Why? It makes me angry and lose focus. I need some motivational talk! It's your soap box my friends! Thank You!!:cry:
    I can't help but remember your thread titled "Booze calories," where you wrote:

"I like to have drinks on the weekends, usually a Friday night. I get really bad hangovers, and the only thing to cure it seems to be really greasy food. I have heard a lot of people who have this problem also. And, if I have too many I tend to even have a binge before bed that night, eating whatever is in sight. I know the majority of replies will say "just don't drink", but I am more looking for other options! I usually have drinks on Friday, then eat pizza for almost every meal on Saturdays, and since I feel awful, of course I don't work out that day either. Is once a week ok for this? Anyone have similar issue? And are there less-calorie options for cheat day? Also, has anyone had significant weight loss by losing the booze altogether?"

If what you're doing isn't getting you the results you want, then I think you answered your own question: "Is once a week ok for this?"

I used to try to get results that very same way, which is why I'm being brutally honest with you. It didn't work for me either. What I've finally found that motivates me is my health, not how much I weigh. My dad died a few months ago of congestive heart failure, a complication of his diabetes. That was my wake-up call. How we treat our bodies today does make in a difference in our health and well-being down the road, whether it's sooner or later. To me, that's a pretty good reason to take good care of myself, and somehow that change of mindset has made all the difference in the world. I hope you can find something that changes your mindset too. If you do, motivation becomes a nonissue. It's not that I'm always motivated every single day. It's that I don't need to "feel like it" to do what's right anymore. I just do it.

I so wish I'd "gotten it" when I was younger. But better late than never! I wish you much success and health. :flowerforyou:

Jill
  • wallerinaprincess
    Options
    I can't help but remember your thread titled "Booze calories," where you wrote:

"I like to have drinks on the weekends, usually a Friday night. I get really bad hangovers, and the only thing to cure it seems to be really greasy food. I have heard a lot of people who have this problem also. And, if I have too many I tend to even have a binge before bed that night, eating whatever is in sight. I know the majority of replies will say "just don't drink", but I am more looking for other options! I usually have drinks on Friday, then eat pizza for almost every meal on Saturdays, and since I feel awful, of course I don't work out that day either. Is once a week ok for this? Anyone have similar issue? And are there less-calorie options for cheat day? Also, has anyone had significant weight loss by losing the booze altogether?"

If what you're doing isn't getting you the results you want, then I think you answered your own question: "Is once a week ok for this?"

I used to try to get results that very same way, which is why I'm being brutally honest with you. It didn't work for me either. What I've finally found that motivates me is my health, not how much I weigh. My dad died a few months ago of congestive heart failure, a complication of his diabetes. That was my wake-up call. How we treat our bodies today does make in a difference in our health and well-being down the road, whether it's sooner or later. To me, that's a pretty good reason to take good care of myself, and somehow that change of mindset has made all the difference in the world. I hope you can find something that changes your mindset too. If you do, motivation becomes a nonissue. It's not that I'm always motivated every single day. It's that I don't need to "feel like it" to do what's right anymore. I just do it.

I so wish I'd "gotten it" when I was younger. But better late than never! I wish you much success and health. :flowerforyou:

Jill

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

!st of all, I am so ashamed! I didn't think anyone would remember that old post! Yes, I did have one too many, and needed a cheeseburger the next day. I feel like a kid who just got busted!!! Good memory girl!

2nd of all very true about thinking of health, not the number on the scale. If only anorexics could realize this! Sorry to hear about your father, that would be an inspiration to me as well, especially since generics have a little to do with it!
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    hey I know how you feel.
    I had a girls night last weekend and said to myself you have been eating really good and exercising like crazy you deserve to have a few drinks, well the next day I got on the scale and shouldn't have I was up 3.5 pounds I got to disappointed that I didnt work out for 2 days.....then I left it and weighted myself a couple days later and I was down those 3.5 pounds plus 1 more. you have to fall off track every now and then but just get right back to it....you will lose tho 2 pounds you gained soon just try not to over think it!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I miss my dad SO much.

Anyway, I didn't mean to shame you, but if it helps, then I guess I did. :tongue: I just know it's too easy to do well most of the time but then screw up just enough to sabotage your results. Been there, done that. You have to be honest with yourself about what you really want and what it takes to get it, and then you have to do it. You can mess up and justify it all you want, but no amount of justification will undo the mess-up. Or you can just not keep track when you mess up, which is what I used to do, but guess what? Your body doesn't care that you didn't write it down. It still remembers what you did, for better or worse.

Good luck!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind, to gain 2 pounds of fat you've got to eat 7,000 calories above your maintenance calories. If MFP has set you at 1,200 or thereabouts to lose weight, your maintenance would be around 1,700. Did you eat 8,700 calories that day? Even if you had the Double Quarterpounder with cheese and small fries that's just below 1,000 cals. :noway: A lot for a meal, but not enough to gain even 1 pound.
    Most of us stumble at one time or another. Some of us stumble a lot :blushing: but as long as we keep going we'll be making progress. :flowerforyou:
  • fortiter00
    fortiter00 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends hate when I say this, but I think it works. In the army I either was told or told someone else " Suck it up and get it done" The longer you sit around feeling sorry for yourself, the longer till you actually see a change. Yes, we all screw up, but it's what you do after that, and what you learned from this to make the changes in the future, so forget about it, get back on track, and suck this one up and move forward. Good luck.