Running Progress Is Frustrating...?

Options
I know this is going to sound crazy, but the faster I get at running the more frustrated I seem to get. I realize I'm making a ton of progress and getting so much faster. When I started running over a year ago I used to be happy with a pace of 11 minutes or so. Now my pace is usually down in the low 9 minutes. However I still only like running 3-4 miles at a time but it goes by so much quicker that I don't feel like I really did all that much.

I don't know, I guess it's difficult to explain, and I probably sound like a whiny little baby. As my friends would say, I need a wahhh-mbulance.

It's just that I used to finish three miles and see 35 minutes or so, and now I finish three miles and see 27 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that I'm getting faster I just don't feel as fulfilled. Perhaps I need to do two a days? Or supplement? But with what? Bahhhh I hope this makes sense at least little to someone. It's hard to explain it when I don't really understand this frustrated bleh feeling myself.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What is your ultimate goal for running? Are you looking for endurance, speed, or both? Since you've improved your speed quite a bit, why not work on your endurance? Go for a longer run every week. If you're currently doing 3-4 miles, why not try 5-6 miles once a week? The trick is to slow your pace during the longer runs so you can go farther.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had my goal of running a local 15K race (9.3 miles) and completed it Sunday. Maybe that's the problem, maybe I feel like it's aimless running right now. I usually do a long run of 6-8 miles on Saturdays, but I find them much less enjoyable. I'm just in a funk...
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Maybe you need a break or to find some sort of cross training that gets you motivated again.

I take 2 spin classes a week (which I love) and those help get me motivated to run (training for a half right now). I don't know if running alone would keep me going.
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    Are you cross training? Also, is there a local running group you can join? Mix things up if you can, I got to run in the mountains last week with ladies from my running group and though they were faster than me when I got to the end of the 5.3 miles it felt fantastic to have them cheering me on! If you want to increase distance be sure to do it at 10% of your total each week. Maybe download new music you only get to listen to when you run or volunteer at a race, just trying to think of ideas, you may already be aware of all this.

Also, wow! Congrats on your times!!!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    set a new goal, then :) -- 1/2 marathon, 10 miler, going to 8 min/mile, running consistently at 9 min/mile for 5 miles 3x week (whatever, these are just suggestions)

I find I am more successful if I'm working towards something
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    In order to break the funk have you considered varying your runs a little more? and working on multiple improvements?

On a 5 day per week running schedule....

Day 1: Hills. Find a hillier route and run 3-4miles. Improves endurance and strength
    Day 2: HIIT. Sprint/Walk intervals to improve speed
    Day 3: 5k tempo run. race pace
    Day 4: Intervals or hills again.
    Day 5: LSR. long slow run. 7+ miles. improve endurance

A schedule like this might break up the repetitiveness of running 3-4 miles daily. And will work towards improving speed and endurance.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I had my goal of running a local 15K race (9.3 miles) and completed it Sunday. Maybe that's the problem, maybe I feel like it's aimless running right now.
    That's the problem - post-race letdown. It happens to everybody. If you want to continue to improve in running now is the time to pick another goal to work towards and not to lay off and lose the fitness you have gained.
  • theresmynapkin
    Options
    I think you are all hitting the mark!
    I've started a half marathon training schedule but I haven't signed up for the race yet... I'm having reservations about it and don't know if I can afford the registration fee right now (stupid college student budget). I try to crosstrain but it's hard to get to the gym/pool, and I'm really uncomfortable on bikes that aren't stationary (bad wipeout when I was younger, had anxiety about them ever since). I'm considering saving to buy a spinning bike for some crosstraining. I know I've been neglecting it. I know I also should do tempo runs, HIIT and hills, but I think I'm intimidated by them... I still feel like I'm that novice runner and unsure about all the lingo and technical stuff.

Pushing past the comfort zone, varying workouts, and setting new goals sounds like it might be just what I need!! Thanks everyone for being supportive :)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Where do you go to college? Many have gym facilities at highly reduced prices/free that you're actually paying in student fees... Might be worth checking out for diversity
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I had my goal of running a local 15K race (9.3 miles) and completed it Sunday. Maybe that's the problem, maybe I feel like it's aimless running right now.
    That's the problem - post-race letdown. It happens to everybody. If you want to continue to improve in running now is the time to pick another goal to work towards and not to lay off and lose the fitness you have gained.

BINGO!
  • LoraF83
    Options
    I think you are all hitting the mark!
    I've started a half marathon training schedule but I haven't signed up for the race yet... I'm having reservations about it and don't know if I can afford the registration fee right now (stupid college student budget). I try to crosstrain but it's hard to get to the gym/pool, and I'm really uncomfortable on bikes that aren't stationary (bad wipeout when I was younger, had anxiety about them ever since). I'm considering saving to buy a spinning bike for some crosstraining. I know I've been neglecting it. I know I also should do tempo runs, HIIT and hills, but I think I'm intimidated by them... I still feel like I'm that novice runner and unsure about all the lingo and technical stuff.

Pushing past the comfort zone, varying workouts, and setting new goals sounds like it might be just what I need!! Thanks everyone for being supportive :)

If you are considering a spinning bike - here's the one I have:

http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_14201_16002_29511_139603

It has great reviews on the ProForm website, and on Amazon. It's pretty basic, but I really like it. It adjusts easily and it wasn't hard to put together (you will need 2 people though). And it's probably one of the most affordable ones on the market.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Intervals and Hills.

Monotony over. :drinker:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I still feel like I'm that novice runner and unsure about all the lingo and technical stuff.
    The thing to do now is to buy a running book and learn all that stuff. Two that I recommend are:
    Lore of Running by Timothy Noakes, MD
    Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels, PhD
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I still feel like I'm that novice runner and unsure about all the lingo and technical stuff.
    The thing to do now is to buy a running book and learn all that stuff. Two that I recommend are:
    Lore of Running by Timothy Noakes, MD
    Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels, PhD

I'll second that. I have both.
  • dunnweb
    dunnweb Posts: 49
    Options
    Start using something like Runkeeper or Endomondo. It will show you a whole bunch of stats about your running so even if you are running less it may show you are burning more or at least the same, etc.
  • smaem
    smaem Posts: 12
    Options
    In order to break the funk have you considered varying your runs a little more? and working on multiple improvements?

On a 5 day per week running schedule....

Day 1: Hills. Find a hillier route and run 3-4miles. Improves endurance and strength
    Day 2: HIIT. Sprint/Walk intervals to improve speed
    Day 3: 5k tempo run. race pace
    Day 4: Intervals or hills again.
    Day 5: LSR. long slow run. 7+ miles. improve endurance

A schedule like this might break up the repetitiveness of running 3-4 miles daily. And will work towards improving speed and endurance.

Ditto this. Search Hal Higdon 1/2 Marathon training programs. They look similar to this. Also, don't stress if you can't easily get to a pool/gym for cross training. Just buy some light hand weights and do some light and fast lifting 3 to 4 times a week. Jackie Warner has a great "power circuit training" dvd that you can buy for about $8. It has several 15 minute strength training workouts. I do a different one each day.

Don't worry too much about running slumps. It happens to everyone, and if you stick with it, it will go away eventually. Try to get in some more races to have something to work for, and to meet other runners going through the same things!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the following:

1) set another goal
    2) join a running group
    3) learn about the benefits of different types of runs

there is no award for fastest training run!
  • theresmynapkin
    Options
    Where do you go to college? Many have gym facilities at highly reduced prices/free that you're actually paying in student fees... Might be worth checking out for diversity

I actually work on my college campus. That's why it's hard to get to the gym. I work from 8:30-4 weekdays and right now the gym is open from 8-4:30. By the time I finish work and get over there I'd have like 15-20 minutes which isn't long enough for me to get in what I'd like to get in. Same with morning, not enough time and I'd need to shower. I sometimes go on my lunch break but I keep it low intensity so I don't reek the rest of the workday.
    If you are considering a spinning bike - here's the one I have:

http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_14201_16002_29511_139603

It has great reviews on the ProForm website, and on Amazon. It's pretty basic, but I really like it. It adjusts easily and it wasn't hard to put together (you will need 2 people though). And it's probably one of the most affordable ones on the market.

Thanks! This bike looks bad@ss :p and I'll definitely consider the running books!! Also considering the New Rules of Lifting For Women, or whatever it's called.

to @csdev, I use Endomondo. I must admit even on crappy boring runs I love seeing my splits and stats at the end :p
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else...sounds like you are bored. I am still VERY MUCH a beginner, so I am not ready for it, but I have heard great things about a smartphone app called Zombies, Run. Apparently, info comes in over your headphones and you have to "outrun the zombies". Basically, it is interval training. It sounds like a lot of fun. I am still on C25K, so it will be awhile before I am ready for it, but it might be right up your alley. Other than that, I also do kickboxing (I use TurboJam/TurboFire). It is really fun too.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck in your journey!
  • theresmynapkin
    Options
    I have heard great things about a smartphone app called Zombies, Run. Apparently, info comes in over your headphones and you have to "outrun the zombies". Basically, it is interval training. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I've heard about this too! I keep forgetting to check it out though! :) thanks for the reminder!!