Any Agave Nectar fans?

Options
2»

Replies

• DelainaB
    DelainaB Posts: 28
    Options
    I love agave ESPECIALLY in coffee. It's perfect because it mixes in and doesn't settle so you don't get that last, sickeningly sweet, sip at the bottom! I use it in some frostings as well and it works to then them out. It's really a great all around completely natural sweet food.
  • bobcooks920
    Options
    I like it, but mostly for baking (any recipe, I just use it to substitute the other sweetener) I also like it on icecream, or pancakes.
    I especially love it on pancakes!
  • thinsoundsgood
    Options
    LOVE IT ON OATMEAL. i like plain oatmeal but when i put agave on it, it's like heaven.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like it, I bought the organic stuff a little while ago because I was curious and it's good. I like honey just as much if not more (honey has its own distinctive taste whereas agave kinda just tastes like sugar), but honey's thicker and more difficult to mix into my yogurt. I tend to switch off on them different days.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    to the OP, I would love to hear about those test results when you do get them. I use it because it says it's a low-glycemic sweetner. Organic Blue agave, ingredients=organic blue agave. 60 calories per 1 tbsp.

This is why I bought it, too! I use it in my oatmeal, coffee, tea and Greek yogurt. I like that you don't need a lot of it. Have been meaning to look into using it for baking, too.
  • Fleur933
    Fleur933 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm an agave convert! It dont get those highs and lows from the sugar i used to put in my coffee when i use it :)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    A lot of us vegans use it to replace honey. I do as well and also HATE the smell of honey, even raw honey. I get the organic agave nectar and really enjoy it. I hear it's heavily processed but not sure if there's better kinds then others. I just try to avoid HFCS.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I gave up honey when I went vegan and switched to agave. I love it. I don't use it often, mostly when I'm baking or want it as a smoothie or tea additive, but it sure is delicious.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Agave Nectar essentially is the "vegan" version of HFCS. I avoid both for several reasons. First, Agave Nectar is not natural, despite claims on bottles that its raw or organic and undergoes the same processing as HFCS. Additionally, it has a higher concentration of fructose than HFCS (70% or more compared to 55% of HFCS).

If Vegans are consuming it instead of honey, and believing it is natural and raw, they may want to really look into how Agave Nectar is actually produced.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I like it, but mostly for baking (any recipe, I just use it to substitute the other sweetener) I also like it on icecream, or pancakes.

Warning: this is not a good substitute in homemade baklava. Or pecan pie. That was a fail.

I use honey instead though-- I prefer the taste.