Which meal should take in the most calories?

Options
Is there a rule on which meal should contain more calories? Or should they be divided out equally? Does it matter?

Replies

• mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great question! I'm curious about that myself....looking forward to hearing all the "expert" advice!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters all that much. Your body is very good at storing energy until you need it. However, eating multiple small meals per day has the benefits of keeping your blood sugars more level during the day and keeping you from overeating due to being famished. There is also the argument of speeding the metabolism with small meals, but I think the effects of this are pretty minor when compared to exercising.

If you are asking which of your small meals should have the most calories - this absolutely doesn't matter. I typically eat 500-1000 calories within an hour or so of bedtime and it hasn't hurt my weightloss. As long as you have calories available, eating at a certain time doesn't do anything adverse or beneficial.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Breakfast "should" have the most calories, but it rarely does :p
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This is entirely a matter of personal preference. Aside from behavioral effects, which differ from person to person but shouldn't be ignored, and medical conditions aside, total daily intake is all that matters. Partition your meals however you like.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Breakfast "should" have the most calories, but it rarely does :p
    No it shouldn't. It doesn't matter.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I try to balance it out between my 3 main meals and my 3 snacks throughout the day. But if I plan a meal ahead and know it's high in calories then I'll limit my intake on my other meals for the day :-)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Is there a rule on which meal should contain more calories? Or should they be divided out equally? Does it matter?

Entirely up to you.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This is entirely a matter of personal preference. Aside from behavioral effects, which differ from person to person but shouldn't be ignored, and medical conditions aside, total daily intake is all that matters. Partition your meals however you like.

This exactly!! I am a Type 2 Diabetic so I tend to space my calories pretty evenly between 3 main meals and 3 snacks a day. By doing this I keep my blood sugars from crashing on me, but it really is a trial and error for you to find out what works best for you.... Best of Luck....
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day and try to make all of my meals about the same size ~300 cals each.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I keep my blood sugar level through the day, I eat 5 meals and split my calories between them. I also try to make sure I have a good balance of protein, fat and carbs with every meal. It seems to be working great for me so far.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually balanced. It really doesn't matter. No, there is no "rule" about that. It's a matter of personal preference and what your goals are.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I second this!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^This. Some days, my dinner has the most. Other days, it's lunch. Sometimes, my snacks throughout the day are more calories than all my meals put together. I don't eat breakfast most of the time. None of this has had any impact on my weight loss, IMHO.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Agree with the masses! Totally up to you and what works for your body!

For me, and this is totally my personal preference, my lunch usually has the most calories and I don't eat a "real" breakfast...I'm just not hungry and it makes me not feel so good!
  • AmberBucsis
    Options
    Makes sense for it to be lunch time but it tends to be dinner for me.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I try to have lunch and dinner be pretty even, but dinner usually has the most calories.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Conventional wisdom is that it should be breakfast.......As one who has to frequently test my blood sugar I don't think a heavy supper is a great idea....

But..... it's the total that counts in the long run and people vary considerably..... so listen to your body
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I do what makes me feel good.

Most days (at least M-F):
    -Breakfast 200
    -Lunch 400
    -Dinner 600

Leftover calories are spent on snacks or added to other meals. I eat at least 1300 calories every day. It works for me. I like the routine and stability. However, when Im off work or weekends, it can get jacked around if I sleep late or eat out.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference. I like to space it out most of the time so I don't crash, but often it's either breakfast or lunch with the most. I don't like going to bed with too many calories in me. Makes me feel sick before bed AND when I wake up, so I try to get the calories in early!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have better success eating my biggest calories at noon