I'm SICK of the excuses...

Options
... That I make for myself to not exercise! I sit here at work saying "I am going home, and going to do The Biggest Loser DVD, or Zumba for the Wii, or C25K, or the circuit workout I printed from Pinterest", and I find myself getting home, I make dinner, pick up, play with the dog, take care of some house projects, and TADA- it's 9 PM.

I use this as an excuse! I have too much to do when I get home from work, I can't wake up any earlier than I already do! Single mothers can do this, why the hell can't I?! I can eat within my calories no problem, but I should be exercising!

I am going to buy resistance bands today. I just need to do it! I'm sick of my Oprah Arms! I just hope they don't start collecting dust like my hand weights.

Does anyone else have this problem or had this problem? How did you get over it? How did you stop yourself from finding more and more things to do around the house? When do you get that housework done!?

Replies

• lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    80% of what you look like is what you eat. exercise isn't going to be a deal breaker if you dont do it everyday. try just the weekends?
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I totally had this - I found the only way to make it stop was to simply stop thinking about what I was meant to be doing and do it.....

Sounds a lot easier than it is, but I read a quote once: "when I don't feel like running I just get up. I walk to my shoes. I put my shoes on. I leave the house. I walk. Then I start running."

I'm back to procrastinating instead of working out straight away......got to knock that on the head!!
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try the gym/workouts once you leave work. This way you dont get distracted or find yourself without time and then talk yourself out of it. I tried mornings, evenings, lunch... just find something that works. Your heads in the right place. Best to you!
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Try to sit down and make out a schedule say 3 days a week then add an additional day a week. Have you thought of maybe making meals to last for 2-3 days so at least you don't have to rush home to prepare dinner. Also try the weekends get up earlier if you can and get in a quick workout, or find someone to do it with you so you have someone to answer to. There are lot of ways you just have to find out what's right for you.
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do this too. I'm making an effort to do the exercise as soon as I get home and then I make dinner and tackle my other house duties.
  • dbarrett30
    dbarrett30 Posts: 17
    Options
    Sounds like you're a busy person. That's nothing to be hard on yourself about. That said, it IS tough to work in exercise when you're busy or tired or just plain don't want to.

One thing that helps me is that I make my exercise happen in the form of an appointment in my calendar. Anything from a training appointment with a trainer or a class. I write it in my Outlook calendar or in my desktop calendar. There. You see it. It's officially a day 'to do.'

Like you, I get up super early and refuse to work out at 4 AM. NO WAY.

Question - do you only work out at home? Do you have a gym to go to or can you work out outdoors? What are your current options? I MAKE myself do my workouts right after work, often not going home first. If you work inside the home, can you leave to work out elsewhere?

Don't beat yourself up. The stress you're putting on your psyche here will only make it harder. Set some little goals (I WILL workout 3x per week and then get really specific about what you're going to do and when. Maybe even with whom. It helps.)

D.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I've definitely had this problem! Like you mentioned, single moms can do it, why can't I? I have a friend with 5 kids, two of them twins, who is a teacher (a job where you take work home with you) and she trained for a marathon. That really got me off my butt!

I signed up for something and trained for it by making exercise an "appointment". I wrote Running 6 miles on the calendar for every Saturday until the event. I also signed up for classes...paying for them in advance makes me more likely to go.

Make yourself a priority and kick the excuses to the curb!!!
  • closeyone
    closeyone Posts: 31
    Options
    I am totally with you on this. Today I was going to go to the gym, but found other things to do, and now its raining so that's an excuse not to leave the house. It is just a mental block. I do find that training with other people helps no end. It helps to motivate me and I hate cancelling on people, so if its arranged I will do it. Perhaps find a training buddy?
  • MrsRando
    MrsRando Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am doing Jilliam Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's only 20 minutes and during the week I usually end up doing this DVD at 9-9:30 at night. You just have to take it one day at a time.

When I really don't feel like exercising I just remind myself that on this day next year I will have wished I started right then. This helps me just stay in the moment and get up and do it without worrying about tomorrow. You are doing great with your diet and working in 20-30 minutes exercising every other day can be easy, you just have to remind yourself to get up at the very moment you think to do it.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Stop making the excuses!!!!!! I AM a single mother and I find plenty of time 4 days a week to get into the gym and the other days do something active. I have found that going to the gym, the physical act of having the accountability to go somewhere else to exercise makes all the difference. You are one of those people like me whose home is where they relax, not move furniture and jump around the someone on the TV. I go to the gym Monday through Thursday and take my daughter with me. She plays in child care while I squeeze every second out of the hour and a half time limit she can be in there. I clean on Friday's and spot clean on the weekends, if you are really serious about wanting to exercise, you will find every chance to turn any activity into exercise and get to the gym.
  • m0103taylor
    Options
    I have found that I have to work out before I go to work. So then I have time to spend doing housework and spending time with my family and friends. Once you get in a routine it is so much easier.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I always had excuses for not exercising or eating right! Now even if I get up a few mins late in the mornings, I still fit in 5 or 6 mins on the bag just to wake myself up and get my blood pumping. Any exercise is better than none when your getting healthy. If you switch your routine up a little when you get home, could you fit a walk with the dogs in before dinner? Good luck!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Take the dog on a walk, you and she will both be happy :-) You also have to make exercising a priority. Any picking up that needs to be done, will still be there when you get done with your workout. As a working mom of 2 kids, I find that during the week, my day, including work, cooking, cleaning, spending time with the kiddos and exercising, doesn't end until about 11pm. At that time, I kick back, watch the daily show, and then konk out!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're a busy person. That's nothing to be hard on yourself about. That said, it IS tough to work in exercise when you're busy or tired or just plain don't want to.

One thing that helps me is that I make my exercise happen in the form of an appointment in my calendar. Anything from a training appointment with a trainer or a class. I write it in my Outlook calendar or in my desktop calendar. There. You see it. It's officially a day 'to do.'

Like you, I get up super early and refuse to work out at 4 AM. NO WAY.

Question - do you only work out at home? Do you have a gym to go to or can you work out outdoors? What are your current options? I MAKE myself do my workouts right after work, often not going home first. If you work inside the home, can you leave to work out elsewhere?

Don't beat yourself up. The stress you're putting on your psyche here will only make it harder. Set some little goals (I WILL workout 3x per week and then get really specific about what you're going to do and when. Maybe even with whom. It helps.)

D.

Thank you for the kind words EVERYONE! I do only work out at home/outside running with the dog. I drive by a gym on the way home from work. I even have a membership to a gym as part of my work. The first excuse that comes into my head is "I have to go home right after work to let the dog out, she is home alone all day, it isn't fair to her". Solution- Make the man leave work on time 2 days a week! Make the man make dinner! Make the man vacuum. Oh no, he isn't going to like where this is going... LOL
  • MonSmith86
    MonSmith86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I work full time and have two small children. What I have found that helps me is I go home on my lunch break and do a 30 minute video. Currently I'm doing 30DS. This works for me because I only live about 5 minutes from where I work, so I have enough time to work out and shower. You just really have to evaluate your day and see where you can fit in some exercise, even if its 30 minutes. Once you create the habit, it won't feel like such a chore. Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am the queen of excuses, so I understand. I have to make myself.

Also, playing with the dog is cardio! :tongue:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    For me, attending a scheduled class was the way to get me moving....i couldnt do it later, because it started at a certain time. Other than that, its really a matter of scheduling it for yourself and making it a priority. Easier said than done, i get that. Life happens. It would be really easy for me to be too busy to work out too, and in fact that happened on vacation last week when i skipped a class because it wasnt convenient for me. (we had family visiting, preparing dinner, etc) I realized though that i was only cheating myself and it has to happen and i cant let my workouts be an option. Maybe try making a calendar for the week or month and hang it on your fridge. Make a schedule and stick to it! Soon, it will be habit :)
    Good luck!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started the C25k program and am shocked that I'm actually enjoying it! I've never been a runner. Having an app on your phone to guide you through it makes all the difference!! It's only 30 minutes, including warm up and cool down. Try to squeeze it in as the first thing you do when you get home, or even on your lunch hour.

I am not one of those people who can hop out of bed extra early to do that first thing in the morning, so I fit it in when I can. I also found a bootcamp that I love and go there 3-4 days per week as well. It really boils down to finding something that you enjoy, makes you feel good, gets you moving and is fun, whatever that may be! :)
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:50 am and hit the gym Monday - Friday. I love my sleep but decided my health was more important. Eventually you get in a routine and waking up that early isn't a big deal. I work two jobs so it is really the only time I have. I am the excuse queen so if I have stopped with this excuse of not having enough time you can too! :smile: