am i drinking too much??

Options

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.

If you two are arguing about or "discussing" how much you should drink or have had to drink, then yes, it's a problem.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have alcoholism on both sides of my family and for this reason, I choose not to drink on a regular basis, meaning really only on special occasions. I do not want to end up having to ask myself "am I drinking too much". It seems like you're there...

What would your quality of life/relationship be without alcohol? Is it worth the fear and anxiety that it seems to be causing you? Do you love whiskey so much that not drinking it through the week and every weekend would upset you? You're the only one who can answer these questions honestly. What a bunch of people who are only reading your posts can do is give their insight but the truth, you already know it in your head. (and not saying that the truth is "yes, you're drinking too much" or "no, you're just nervous about it becoming a habit".

I did want to add though, you shouldn't be using alcohol as a pain reliever and it does raise a red flag that this is what you turned to when you were in pain. They make real medications for such a thing. They sell ibuprofen over the counter in the Netherlands, that is a much better alternative than alcohol (and better pain reliever than paracetamol, which is what the doctors will tell you to take in the NL). You also should NOT be drinking if you are taking paracetamol or ibuprophen. Your liver cannot handle processing both.
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    Thankyou so much everyone! It helps having the opinion of an outsider think it resonates deeper from strangers, so thankyou i am going to stop
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I struggle a lot with my drinking. I know that it's counterproductive to my weight loss, but I still do it. I know it's counterproductive to basically everything when it's not done socially, but I still do it.

To me, if you are having a conversation with a love one about it, it is time to really consider what's going on. Not only are they noticing it, but they think it's not ok.

I dont go to meetings, but when I feel I am a little out of control, I check out some of the blogs out there and I remind myself to get a grip. This is a really good one: http://www.drinkingdiaries.com/

Feel free to friend me if you ever want to chat.

I too struggled a lot trying to control my drinking and for me the only thing that stopped me was complete abstinence. Having a substance control my thought process and my life was enough...plus where I allowed alcohol to take me. My last drunk was June 16, 2000 and I'm at a point that I don't miss it and don't think about it. But if I were to put a drop of booze into my body now I would re-awaken the beast. I got enough problems...and now I get to eat more! lol
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    Personally I feel having one drink a night is more then you should be having, so more then one a night is a problem. I think everyone has already said it, but I agree that you have a problem. Alcoholism isn't one of these things that just goes away, it only gets worse and the more you try to justify it to yourself the worse trouble you will be in. I suggest going to see a Doctor as soon as you can, don't make excuses just do it and tell them everything. Again, don't make excuses for yourself, be brutally honest, the moment you start lying to yourself is the moment you start destroying your life.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    i had 4 drinks last night due to my injuries
    This is what I'd be concerned with. If you're drinking to ease pain, it's going to become a problem because you'll become dependent. I didn't read your blog for the whole story, but you should find another way to deal with your pain.

I have one to two glasses of wine a night, so I'm not giving you this advice suggesting that there is anything wrong with drinking alcohol. It's the why, when, and how much that you need to look at.
  • texas68
    texas68 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you set limits on how much you will drink and continue to exceed those limits it may be a sign of a bigger problem. Medically speaking more than 1 drink a day for women can cause many health problems including various cancers. More than 5 drinks in 24 hours is alcohol abuse and can lead to alcohol dependence, especially if it happens regularly. If you are unable to limit your drinking and stick to it I hope you will seek help from a professional for the sake of your health and well being. I wish you the best of luck.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    4 drinks is not an alcoholic. anybody who says that is not known a true one.
    i do think its odd to discuss when and how much you guys should drink tho LOL it should be a free lighthearted thing.

nope, i dont think you are drinking too much going by what you described.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I love whiskey too, but I don't need to drink it every night or drink to excess on the weekends. I slowly sip my whiskey when I'm out with friends or at dinner with my husband to truly enjoy the flavor. We've never had to have a discussion about when and how much I can drink. Just like dieting, drinking takes self-control.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    i do think its odd to discuss when and how much you guys should drink tho LOL it should be a free lighthearted thing.

4 drinks once in a while is not an alcoholic. 4 drinks when you agreed to only drink one does reveal a problem. 4 drinks to take away pain is certainly a problem. You are right, drinking should be a free lighthearted thing. That's not the impression I'm getting from her post.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options

Four drinks every night IS a problem though, and since the OP has made it clear she cannot control her drinking and is using excuses to have more, I'd say it's obvious she is drinking too much. There is nothing 'light-hearted' about being an alcoholic or abusing alcohol. It's already breaking up her relationship, that is not healthy. It should be done in moderation, and putting aside the alcoholism for a moment, it's not good for people dieting either.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If the people closest to you are worried about you over it, then yes, there is a strong possibility you are drinking too much.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    if you even have to think about it or drink more than you wanted to one night, or find excuses, then yes you have a problem.
    And I think you can answer yes to these three questions.

Whiskey is what got me too as it is very pleasant and relaxes a lot.
    After a lot of trials, I had to stop drinking completely for more than a year, during which I decided on some rules, and the rules are simple, red wine only during a very good meal, not more than two glasses, and not more often than once to twice a month.

I apply this rule to a T and honestly barely dranked a complete bottle by myself over the year. I enjoy sipping a lilttle red wine with a good chef meal in a restaurant but that's about it, and I truly dont miss the ****ty hangovers that you probably barely notice (yes your body is hanged over from two to three glasses of whiskey, you just probably dont know the symptoms)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Alcoholism, but I'd say listen to yourself. If you feel like it could be the beginning of a problem or are scared you're going too far, then I'd scale back (greatly) or have none at all. Make yourself accountable. I would definitely do something about it if it is causing an argument with your beloved. Just my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't take it as medical advice.
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    I drink about 2-3 times a week, 3+ drinks each time. I've never considered myself an alcoholic, and no one has ever accused me of it. I drink when I feel like it, and I always have fun with or without it. i think people have some nerve calling you an alcoholic. If you agree with it that is up to you but i don't think that is something that other people have a right to tell you.
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi. I wanted to tell you that I completely understand how your move to the Netherlands and being unable to work put you into a funk.

Almost a year ago, I moved to Germany. I went from full-time work to...well...Hausfrau. I found it really hard on my ego to try to speak a foreign language knowing that I'm making 1000 mistakes. I'm just now starting to make friends here, so the loneliness has been rough also. I want you to know that it took more time than I ever imagined before I felt settled, but one day I found myself thinking of here as home....so it will happen. :)

It's a very positive thing that you realize your current habit can potentially become an addiction. Cut out the whiskey immediately...but if you can't please seek professional help. You should be able to find an English speaking therapist in your area via online searching.
  • kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think your really brave to come here and post, if like you said you drink because you like the taste maybe you could cut it out because if it isnt an issue for you to stop then it could really help your dieting, I mean I love the taste of a chocolate bar but I cant eat a bar of it everyday because thats the reason I ended up overweight, alcohol is really calorific and its empty calories at that, I hope you and your OH make up, alcohol isnt something worth fighting about really, alcohol at one point nearly ruined my relationship with my bf, I went through a rough time and hit the bottle hard but now I'm so glad we came through it, and I only really drink on occasiona now. Don't get me wrong I do love a drink ;)
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are you replacing a food addiction for an alcohol addiction?

Alcohol is not a pain reliever! Is there any other "pain" you're experiencing? (child hood abuse, neglect, something you lack..ie children?)

If your fahter is giving you advice and "he drinks alot more", maybe you need to look at his credibility as he may also have a problem.

The reason it bothered you when your fiancee mentioned your father's drinking was because you may know it's true and you may be following in his foot steps.

I know my words may seem harsh, but it sounds like you need to hear the truth! BUT the fact that you've even questioned this as a possible problem, shows your making the first step.

I'm not saying you're a full blown alcoholic or that you're father is, but it appears that you may need to look at this as you may be on the verge. You've probably grown up with you're dad drinking 'all the time' and have grown to believe it is the norm.

My partner stopped drinking because she found that she was starting to drink too much and she knew that her mother was a hard core alcoholic and that was not a path she was willing to go down. IT HAS BEEN VERY HARD but her determination to not be her mother makes it easier!!!!

My advice...
    Take a GOOD deep down look into your heart and at yourself to see if this is a problem. Be honest with yourself and then be open with that honesty with others, including your fiancee. It appears that he is very supportive so be thankful!

Good Luck,
    Jenn

PS. I'm a Psych Nurse.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Before I was married, I was a very heavy drinker. I was single and lived in the barracks with a bunch of other Marines. I did not drink to ease the pain, i did not drink because I felt that I had to. I drank because it was fun and gave me something to do.

With that being said, I was drinking well over a 12 pack of beer a night and closing it out with a few shots of liquor or whiskey. I would get up the next time and go to PT and run a few miles or go to work as usual.

Did it cause me any work problems? No. Any noticeable health problems? No. Did I absolutely need to? No.

However, I was an alcoholic. And what I couldn't see at the time is that it was causing problems. I have considerably cut my drinking to maybe one night a month, and maybe 6 beers or a couple of mixed drinks.

I was drinking too much, and feel that you are as well. All the calories you burn doing your zumba workouts are mainly going to be the alcohol you consume. Your lifestyle change will have more impact on your weight when you considerably slow your drinking or stop altogether.

Hope it helps.