How Can Fruit be "Free" on Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast lowers your metabolism!

FALSE!
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When they changed to the new system and noted fruits as free, they decreased the points as well. So used to you would get 26 points on the same plan now you only get like 23 or 22. That how they compensated.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I did WW a couple of years ago, completely online, so before the free fruit points plus system - i did lose a good amount on it, as did my mum. When i did it vegetables were free but fruit was not, and i remember they did inform you that it's because of the high sugar content.

Another diet i tried a few years back (sigh, yes another diet) was the GI diet, which focuses on the Glycemic Index - basically the amount and TYPE of sugar in different foods. Fruit does have quite a lot of sugar but it is fructose - rather than glucose which you find in biscuits, regular sugar that you'd put in your coffee etc, which is absorbed and used differently by your body. I *think* (maybe don't quote me on this!) but glucose is absorbed more readily by your body and is more easily converted into fat. Fructose, however, is used differently and is not as easily converted. So basically, if a biscuit and a strawberry have the same amount of calories - go for the strawberry because even if the AMOUNT of sugar is the same, it is a different form (i think a more complex form of carbohydrate)....
  • higgins09cait
    Options

FALSE!

My apologies, I will correct myself here. When you sleep your metabolism runs slower. In order to get it going again, you need to eat. This is why breakfast is so important. If you wait until lunch time to eat anything, your metabolism doesnt get going until then, and your body wont burn as many calories, which then leads to less fat loss. 5-6 small meals a days keeps your metabolism running fast.
  • rml_16
    Options
    When they changed to the new system and noted fruits as free, they decreased the points as well. So used to you would get 26 points on the same plan now you only get like 23 or 22. That how they compensated.

That's not true, either. Initially, they increased the minimum points to 29 and then this past year decreased it to 26 and said you no longer have to eat all the dailies. They also increased the weeklies from 35 to 49 and changed the AP formula, so as you used to get 1 AP per 100 calories burned, now it's more like 1/70 or 1/80.

However, they changed the points formula so that higher carb foods are more points than they used to be.

The minimum daily points before this new formula was 18.
  • rml_16
    Options

FALSE!

My apologies, I will correct myself here. When you sleep your metabolism runs slower. In order to get it going again, you need to eat. This is why breakfast is so important. If you wait until lunch time to eat anything, your metabolism doesnt get going until then, and your body wont burn as many calories, which then leads to less fat loss. 5-6 small meals a days keeps your metabolism running fast.

None of that is scientifically based or true.
  • JulieHearts
    JulieHearts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree... having much more success on MFP with my friends support and motivation, and its free!
  • tronapage
    tronapage Posts: 23
    Options
    I guess they don't count carbs...or sugar.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Fruit is only free on Weight Watchers because you have to PAY for Weight Watchers. lol
  • aathom11
    aathom11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The old plan worked better for me. That how I lost 110 pound with it. Not crazy about the new plan.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I was on the PointsPlus system and lost a significant amount of weight with the free fruit. However, i didnt eat 17 apples a day... I kept it to berries and stone fruits which i think helped. I did my research and made sure i wasnt going overboard. I doubt I was the typical user though.

That's because it would be nearly impossible to eat 17 apples in a day. Which is why fresh, whole natural fruit is free (not juice, dried fruit, or processed fruit). Because it will fill you up and provide good nutrition (unlike a cookie or other junk for similar calories/sugar), while the fullness naturally prevents you from over-indulging or binging on it.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    crazy beans... I is good for you, and has lots of water but it is def not calorie free... vegans would shrivel up and die if it were lol
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I believe part of WW's reasoning about fruit is based on the Glycemic Index. Fruit usually has a lower glycemic index number (as compared to refined sugars). That means that it takes longer for your body to "burn" the energy it gets from fruits (and many other foods with a low GI#) thereby keeping your blood sugar levels stable over time. Why does this matter? Spikes in blood sugar cause your body to not feel full and consequently can result in overeating. Fruit is not calorie or sugar/carb "free" it's just a healthier kind of calories, sugar/carbs, that makes you feel fuller.

Hope this makes sense.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

FALSE!

It's true for me. When I was fat, I skipped breakfast because if I ate it, I'd be starving by 10am and I'd want to eat more. Now I've learned that the reason I'm starving by 10am is because my metabolism has kicked into gear and used up my stored energy. To help cope with that, I eat a (huge) bowl of whole grain oatmeal (1/2 cup uncooked) with 1/2 to 1 cup of mashed fruit and 1 T of milled flax seed in it for breakfast everyday. It keeps me full until lunch time with no problem. If I do get hungry before lunch, and that's rare now, I'll have a healthy snack like a small handful of nuts or half a protein bar.
    I still dont LIKE eating breakfast because I do not wake up hungry ( unless I've had a 'super' exercise calorie deficit the day before) but I eat it anyway.
    So far it's worked for me, I'm down 41lbs since I started eating breakfast back in January. :)
  • rml_16
    Options

FALSE!

It's true for me. When I was fat, I skipped breakfast because if I ate it, I'd be starving by 10am and I'd want to eat more. Now I've learned that the reason I'm starving by 10am is because my metabolism has kicked into gear and used up my stored energy. To help cope with that, I eat a (huge) bowl of whole grain oatmeal (1/2 cup uncooked) with 1/2 to 1 cup of mashed fruit and 1 T of milled flax seed in it for breakfast everyday. It keeps me full until lunch time with no problem. If I do get hungry before lunch, and that's rare now, I'll have a healthy snack like a small handful of nuts or half a protein bar.
    I still dont LIKE eating breakfast because I do not wake up hungry ( unless I've had a 'super' exercise calorie deficit the day before) but I eat it anyway.
    So far it's worked for me, I'm down 41lbs since I started eating breakfast back in January. :)

So you're doing everything else exactly the same. You aren't eating fewer calories or exercising more? You just added in breakfast and changed absolutely nothing else? Because if that's the case, then you just solved the obesity problem.
  • higgins09cait
    Options

FALSE!

Congrats! Keep up the good work! :) When you're educated and motivated, you'll be continuosly successful!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs. on a WW plan where ALL produce was free, so was lean protein, many whole grains, eggs and other foods. I ate avocados nearly daily. This was called the Core plan and it was around 2004/05.

People on the Flex plan, also available at that time, had to count everything, and would often say, "I wouldn't lose on Core! Free oatmeal? Free bananas? I would binge!" But you don't. Really, the 'free' food loses its specialness and just becomes 'food' to you, and you eat like I imagine normal, healthy people eat. No counting, no obsessing, just eating the vast majority of your food from a pool of healthy foods, and keeping off-plan treats to a bare minimum. And listening to your body and eating when you're hungry and not eating when you're not.

That said, I tried the new plan for 8 weeks and lost 2 lbs. Most people average around 1800ish calories a day on it. That's too much for me to lose. I would need to limit my points to less than 29.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I was on WW and lost weight, but it was only in the first few weeks when I was eating better. At one of the meetings I met a woman who told me that she lost 45 pounds.. I was thrilled until she told me it took her a year to do it. I thought 45 pounds in a year isn't good enough for me. That is too long. I also noticed all the women including the leader was a mound of flab. Yes they were losing but not exercising so they were turning into flubb.. Very unappealing to me.

Also I noticed exercise isn't mentioned at all, except in passing. I think WW is more for people who can't or won't execise and just want the number on the scale to be lower.. People who want true fitness won't settle for WW....
  • lindsaymo34
    Options
    A 100 calorie banana is more nutritious then a 100-calorie Keebler pack, or the like. That's the point of the 0 Points+ so people will learn to choose healthier foods. Yes, they are both 100 calories some would argue, but one is complete chemicals and processed while the other is not. In the long run, theoretically, because of the fiber in fruits/veggies you should consume less calories overall. Previously, a banana used to be 2-3 points while a 100-Calorie pack was also 2-3 points. Nutrionally, these are not equal. I lost nearly 80 pounds on Weight Watchers in 2 years. I hit my goal weight in May 2009. Three years later, I am within 10 pounds of my goal weight. I'd say I've been able to maintain it quite well. Weight Watchers is not a diet, but a lifestyle change. I now use MFP to maintain my weight because I was given the tools and resources to choose healthy foods. Also, no food is off-limites to me, everything in moderation. For me, if I hadn't done WW first before MFP, I wouldn't eat as healthfully as I do now. So many people on here that have Public Diaries eat like utter crap. Sure, you're under 1500 calories a day, but where are the whole grains, produce, dairy, lean protein, etc?
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have you ever met someone who got fat eating too much fruit?

YES!
    Saw it in the mirror. As soon as I went to one serving of fruit a day I started losing weight again went back to more fruit and gained.

At first this program will work for people. It will work because they will go from eating a 280 cal candy bar to a low calorie fruit. But as soon as they get closer to the goal weight they will need to adjust. They will also need to learn what fruits are best for weight loss as some are higher on the Glycemic Index than others.

I have a hard time believing that the amount of fruit was the only factor in your weight loss. Maybe it was your overall calorie intake.
    Yup.
    Frut is a carbs and will not help you lose weight if you fill up on Carbs all day. Its not always about how much you eat its more about what you eat.