Running for the Non-Runner?

Options
2»

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have been using the cardio equipment at the gym regularly for 4 years.

My son just convinced me to enter a 5K with him. I have never entered a race in my life. So I just started to run outside this week. Its not that bad. Just get out there and do it. I cannot run a straight mile, there are walking periods in between. But I run, 75%/walk 25%, 2.34 miles my 4th day out. I use mailboxes as my markers. Run 5 boxes walk one. Each week I plan to extend the run and shorten the walk.

Make a game of it for yourself and just do it. I recommend it. So far, I am loving it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes, come to the dark, I mean fast, side!

Here's C25K in its simplest format:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Here are my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Pleas take note of point one:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

Good luck, and do come back and let us know how your first run goes :flowerforyou:
  • mmwien
    mmwien Posts: 7
    Options
    Another vote for C25K. There are lots of options (I use Run5K). I also use an armband and wireless Bluetooth headphones b/c the corded type gets in my way even with the armband. Good luck on your journey!
  • mberes56
    mberes56 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yes! I just got an arm band for my phone to listen to music. Best thing ever!!
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would not be a runner, if not for C25K. Now, I'm an addict - lurking outside running stores, trying to get someone to buy me a shoe... night sweats and shakes when I don't get my fix...
    just kidding!
    (kind of...)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yep! Go to a Running Speciality store. I think neutral running shoes are the best. I was initially put in a stability/motion control shoe, but those actually did some damage. My sports medicine doc suggests folks steer clear of motion control shoes and focus on more neutral shoes.

You should get some very good insights from the staff at the runniing store. Most likely they're all runners and can even give you some encouragement. One saleswoman at the store I frequent (Second Sole Akron!) planted the bug in my head to consider a half marathon. At the time I thought she was nuts. . . but I ended up doing it and I'm looking forward to another one in about 2.5 months!!
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Another C25K'er. Download the free App, it is awesome and you can load your music directly into the App. It tells you when to run and when to walk. Makes life easier for me while I'm huffing through my runs.

Note: If you have trouble getting through a week, don't feel bad repeating weeks. I had to repeat week 3 and am repeating week 4 right now. I want to run easily, not labored...so this works for me.

Ditto on good shoes. Go to a store and get fitted. For me personally, Saucony is the best. Also invest in good cushioned socks. They make as much difference to me as the shoes!

Run about 3x per week. Take rest days.
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would not be a runner, if not for C25K. Now, I'm an addict - lurking outside running stores, trying to get someone to buy me a shoe... night sweats and shakes when I don't get my fix...
    just kidding!
    (kind of...)

Hahaha! I like the Lurking outside Running Stores-- I need that Addiction!!
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    I have been using the cardio equipment at the gym regularly for 4 years.

My son just convinced me to enter a 5K with him. I have never entered a race in my life. So I just started to run outside this week. Its not that bad. Just get out there and do it. I cannot run a straight mile, there are walking periods in between. But I run, 75%/walk 25%, 2.34 miles my 4th day out. I use mailboxes as my markers. Run 5 boxes walk one. Each week I plan to extend the run and shorten the walk.

Make a game of it for yourself and just do it. I recommend it. So far, I am loving it.

Marking Mail Boxes.. I like it!!
  • SweetMegz04
    Options
    [/quote]

Couch to 5k and Hal Higdon are both great programs.
    Get a good pair of comfortable running shoes.
    Don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%.
    Strava and MapMyRun are both great Android phone apps that track your runs, pace and calories.
    Have fun and good luck!
    [/quote]

Thanks for the App Ideas!! I will add the MapMyRun today!!