is it just me??

Options
Or do any of you find it difficult to get in enough protein each day? Even with protein powder!

and I'm getting REALLY tired of chicken.

I need some new ideas....

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Try tuna, salmon (most fish in general), liver, eggs,, greek yogurt, etc.

Try making your carbohydrate sources relatively protein rich as well; cracked wheat, sprouted wheat bread, chia seeds, flax, quinoa, brown/black rice, black beans, lentils (most legumes). List really goes on.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with it - it was a real eye-opener when I started logging my foods. I have protein powder but don't use it on a regular basis. I get my protein from eggs, cheese, tuna, chicken, greek yogurt, various fish, shrimp, beef, pork...yesterday I managed 103g of protein & no powder used. Diary is open if you want to browse through it. And I haven't had the best eating habits lately, with summer, travel, heat, etc. :tongue: That's my disclaimer. LOL
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I love black beans and I haven't been eating Tuna (why- I don't know? I think I forgot about it- so thanks for the reminder! lol)... but I'm not really familiar with chia seeds, flax, quinoa, or cracked wheat- as far as recipes, where to find them. etc.

For the most part, I'm a shellfish fan, not a FISH fish fan... although the less-fishy types I can do (Tilapia, Mahi, Grouper, Orange Roughy).

Love greek yogurt, but it has a lot of sugar per serving... so I keep that limited. I'm not diabetic, but I def. have a stomach sensitivity that goes along with processed sugars....
  • kitigonkukoo
    Options
    I used to have a problem with it - it was a real eye-opener when I started logging my foods. I have protein powder but don't use it on a regular basis. I get my protein from eggs, cheese, tuna, chicken, greek yogurt, various fish, shrimp, beef, pork...yesterday I managed 103g of protein & no powder used. Diary is open if you want to browse through it. And I haven't had the best eating habits lately, with summer, travel, heat, etc. :tongue: That's my disclaimer. LOL

Thanks- your diary has given me a couple ideas! Your ratios look similar to mine... do you have my challenge of finding high protein foods that doesn't have a high fat content as well? I completely understand why one goes with the other for the most part... but doesn't make things any easier! LOL
  • alyssatuininga
    alyssatuininga Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I a a pescetarian (vegetarian but I eat seafood) so I get my protein from Greek yogurt (you can find plain and just add berries yourself to sweeten), beans, nuts, eggs, fish, whole grains, cheese and soy, I am aim for 120 grams of protein a day and hit it most days without the use of protein bars or powders and without going over my fat goals.

Chia is a small seed (almost like sesame seeds) you can add them to baked goods, yogurt, salad dressing etc.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I go over almost everyday. Try adding some nuts or like someone suggested black beans.. I have a great way to prepare black beans if you can handle a little bit more sodium.....
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Egg whites!
    Fish! (Tuna? Crab/Imitation Crab? Salmon is popular and fantastic for you)
    Chicken!
    Edamame!
    Beef!
    Nuts! (watch calories)

Watch the sodium, but jerky is great for the protein, drink more water with it.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I love black beans and I haven't been eating Tuna (why- I don't know? I think I forgot about it- so thanks for the reminder! lol)... but I'm not really familiar with chia seeds, flax, quinoa, or cracked wheat- as far as recipes, where to find them. etc.

For the most part, I'm a shellfish fan, not a FISH fish fan... although the less-fishy types I can do (Tilapia, Mahi, Grouper, Orange Roughy).

Love greek yogurt, but it has a lot of sugar per serving... so I keep that limited. I'm not diabetic, but I def. have a stomach sensitivity that goes along with processed sugars....

There are some that are unsweetened. Kroger has one, as does Aldi.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try cottage cheese. Lately I've been eating Knudsen 2% lowfat On the Go brand. I get 12g of protein per the 4oz. serving and they're easy for me to bring to work or take on the go if I keep it with an ice pack.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Just an FYI on the greek yogurt. If you're eating plain greek yogurt, it doesn't have any processed sugar in it. You can add fresh fruits to it to give it some sweetness.

I use quinoa in place of rice in a lot of dishes. It has a nice nutty flavor.
  • Hadassk
    Hadassk Posts: 63
    Options
    Peanut butter...I can't get enough!! :)
  • rpoupard99
    rpoupard99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you try Quinoa, which I really recommend...it's just as easy as rice to make...just make sure you rinse it really well before you cook it. One cup of quinoa to two cups of liquid...just like rice. One thing though...before I was dieting I would put butter on it and the flavor was fine but now that I'm limiting the butter I ALWAYS use some liquid other than water. Chicken broth is great or veggie broth if you are vegetarian. I "fancy" it up sometimes by sauteing some onions and garlic before I add the quinoa and water and then add any shredded green like spinach, fresh herbs or kale.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What's your daily goal? Many people find they easily go over the MFP default settings, so I'm guessing you've reset yours.

It would help if you opened your diary to the "public" setting so we can see what you're eating.

I aim for 100g per day. I'll have eggs for breakfast, bean or fish stew for lunch, and chicken or fish with veg in the evening. And I'll sneak protein into snacks - cheese, humous, roast broad beans/ chickpeas/ wasabi peas etc. Crab sticks, mini salamis ect.
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Or do any of you find it difficult to get in enough protein each day? Even with protein powder!

and I'm getting REALLY tired of chicken.

I need some new ideas....

How much are you going for? I hit over 80 grams everyday no problem without protein shakes, but I'm low carb so that might be it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    salmon
  • kitigonkukoo
    Options
    salmon

I know this is an awesome source of so many nutrients... but no matter how it's prepared, I have to just about choke down even the first 2 bites.... I just really don't like salmon, but I wish I did!!!
  • kitigonkukoo
    Options
    35% is where I have it set.

depending on whether or not it's a workout day- it ranges from 100g-190g.