Not Losing! In fact, gained a pound or two... Why?

Options

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Couple things.

You said it yourself that it has been 16 days right? You just dived right into actually accounting calories in, calories out, made a drastic shift in exercise etc.

16 Days, holy *kitten*.

BE PATIENT.

No you are likely not gaining muscle; IF eating at a caloric surplus as a woman and working with resistance training you have the possibility of maybe gaining 0.25-.5 lbs of muscle a week, maybe. Muscle also does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense. For beginner weight lifters this can come slightly more easily but not in any substantial amount. You do however retain a high amount of water when you exercise, you instigate hormone changes as well.

Don't measure or weigh more than once a week, and jusdt relax and be patient. Again it's been 16 days which is not a substantial amount of time. If you can keep doing what you are doing and be dedicated about it you will see the results you want.

What she said!

I have man parts.
  • EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    it sounds liek you haev agood plan for you adn your family adn the others are right, 16 days may seem liek forever to you bu tin the grandscale it's just the beginning...I have lost a total of 5 pounds since I started in Feb, son't let other peoples' number influence you in a negative way.
  • Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I changed my diary setting to public, and also set it to track sodium and sugar. I had no idea bananas had that much sugar! Makes me sorry I already had one as my mid-morning snack today. Guess I'll have to change that to 1/2 a banana the next time I want one.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're going to worry about sugars, I'd concentrate more on reducing/eliminating the ones that come from the bars and breakfast items and less about any that come from fruits and veggies. Yes fruits are high in sugar but it's natural sugar.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Also, you didn't develop muscle in that short of time -- also, muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. a pound is a pound. period. It takes up less space than fat.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Couple things.

You said it yourself that it has been 16 days right? You just dived right into actually accounting calories in, calories out, made a drastic shift in exercise etc.

16 Days, holy *kitten*.

BE PATIENT.

No you are likely not gaining muscle; IF eating at a caloric surplus as a woman and working with resistance training you have the possibility of maybe gaining 0.25-.5 lbs of muscle a week, maybe. Muscle also does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense. For beginner weight lifters this can come slightly more easily but not in any substantial amount. You do however retain a high amount of water when you exercise, you instigate hormone changes as well.

Don't measure or weigh more than once a week, and jusdt relax and be patient. Again it's been 16 days which is not a substantial amount of time. If you can keep doing what you are doing and be dedicated about it you will see the results you want.

What she said!

I have man parts.

lol
  • thenicksters
    thenicksters Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Couple things.

16 Days, holy *kitten*.

BE PATIENT.

THIS!!! When you exercise your muscles retain water, which doesn't show a weight loss on the scale. You should google about muscles retaining water, it'll make you feel better about the scale; and make you understand why you need to drink LOTS of water.
  • veraj900
    veraj900 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have lost an inch from your waist that's a great sign! I've lost 20 lbs so far and am only down an inch from my waist.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    If you are that concerned, maybe it is either your sodium intake or sugar (& carbs) intake. Some people have probelms losing weight because of these factors. Also, maybe try increasing your protein as well.

Other then that, give it some time. If you notice after a significant amount of more time that nothing seems to be happening, maybe go to the Dr and get a Physical and make sure there is nothign else going on, like a thyroid issue or something.

GOOD LUCK and I hope it is just a small starting plataeu!! :)
  • aaronrlindemann
    aaronrlindemann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Also note, I've had weekend days 'off' only to regret it when the scale spikes SEVERAL lbs... obviously it's not fat, it's just food in your gut, but at 4' 11" you're going to have to be more careful than most, because you just need less calories.

Try increasing your fiber intake (fruit, veggies, ect) for a while if you haven't already... and DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!! These things help flush the system! The liver and the kidneys process out fat and toxins and it gets flushed out the other end. I cant stress this enough!

'Believe in yourself, TRUST THE PROCESS, change forever.' – Bob Harper, The Biggest Loser
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate every day! It's natural, and an easy way to determine your weight?

Weigh yourself at the same time of day (every day, week, or month). I weigh myself everyday in the morning, and I average it at the end of the week and go with that.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I gain 2-3 pounds with my period! It goes as fast as it comes. Once I figured that out, I felt better and omit the weight on those days.

Also, when eating certain ingredients (sugar, carbs, etc...) there are better times in the days for certain foods. No sugar in the morning! That is not what your body wants when you wake up! I go with protein (liquid eggs) and sometimes I add whole wheat toast (carbs). I never eat sugar or carbs before bed. Again, I go with protein if I need a bedtime munchie. See my trend? I save sugar and carbs for mid-morning and early afternoon meals. It works for me!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Try adding more fresh veggies to your diet. I rarely eat frozen stuff anymore. I know its easy to throw the package in the microwave but this time of year there are such GOOD veggies out there. Tomatoes too! Good luck and hope you break into the loss column soon!!
  • ewhirly02
    ewhirly02 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    By looking at your diary I would say try to eat less processed fodds and more fresh fruits and vegetables. It looks like you're getting a lot of sodium from what you're eating. All that sodium can impact me sometimes. Drink lots of water!
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did 30 DS for about 3 weeks and did not lose at all... when I went back to my regular cardio (walking and step aerobics) I starting losing again. Who knows?
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    First on most days you are way under the 1200 net min and that could be problem number one especially if doing intense exercise like 30DS.

Most of the food is either processed or fast food which hinders weight loss and muscle building.

Try to eat cleaner, watch that sodium and eat more lean protein........

Try for 1200 net calories per day otherwise you are not feeding your body and it will not let you lose weight untill you feed it!!!

Best of Luck!!!
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A few things I noticed about your diary

- carb to protein ratio: you are eating too much carb and not enough protein. I set my carb-protein-fat ratio to 40-30-30 and that really helped me
    - you are netting 1150 calories each day, you should net your calorie goal or your body goes into starvation mode. i.e. you should eat back your work out calories to hit the 1500
    - also aim for 25+g fiber a day, it keeps the body regular :)
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This
    I also set my ratios to 40-30-30 (protein, carb, fat). MFP sets the carbs way too high in my opinion.
    As others have said, you eat a lot of processed foods. Try to eat more fresh food and includes more vegetables. Also try to stay away from Quick add on the calories. There is no way to track the ratios on that and losing weight is as much about those ratios as calorie control.
    Hope you see more results this next week after implementing some of these ideas! =D
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    "Just feeling frustrated because a friend I introduced to MFP has already lost 7 pounds while my scale doesn't move. "

Don't COMPARE!!!!

You focus on you...this is your time...

My husband can lose weight just by reducing the ice cream he eats from a "bucket" to a "bowl" each night...meanwhile, I'm counting out my 14 raw almonds and watching the scale do nothing...but I have lost in the past and I know it takes time and consistency...soooooo hang in there...and keep the lean protein and complex carbs coming....we're here for you!
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and you're eating very low calories and also allot of processed foods. I would try to calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and BMR so you know how much your body is burning to see if you should only be eating what you're eating. I noticed less than 1200 on several days. www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html This is a website that you may find helpful. Good luck!
  • Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check out the calculator link.