What foods are you a brand snob about?

Options
Loulady
Loulady Posts: 511 Member
The greek yogurt post got me thinking about this. What brands do you HAVE to have and won't substitute?

Me:

Greek yogurt - Fage is my first choice, then Chiobani. If the store is out of both, I go somewhere else or just go without
Hummus - has to be Sabra
Condiments - Heinz ketchup, French's mustard, Grey poupon, and tabasco brand hot sauces (dh has to have texas pete)
Coke (zero) over pepsi
Rotel tomatoes and chilies
Jarred spaghetti sauce - Classico
This may be the opposite of snobby, but I only get Walmart brand deluxe mixed nuts. They have the most pecans. ;)

Anything else that's packaged I'll just get the store brand, whatever is on sale or just happens to look interesting that day.

Replies

• AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    A few that come to mind are - Heinz ketchup, Hellmanns mayonnaise and Pepsi Max. I have to say though, tinned pasta in tomato sauce - I really hate the brands ones and have to go for the stores own brand lol!!
  • gorewhore13
    gorewhore13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt for sure, my favorite is Oikos, then Chobani. I haven't tried Fage though, that will be next on my list. Also bread I like double fiber, I think it's Orowheat.
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    For me what comes to mind is greek yogurt. I have to have Fage. I used to eat Chobani until I tried Fage. Fage is so creamy and delicious. Love it!
  • jnagy9886
    jnagy9886 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Gotta be: Pop Secret Popcorn - Cascadian Farms Granola - Motts Applesauce - Dannon Lite & Fit Vanilla Yogurt - Kroger Brand Creamy Ranch - WishBone Italian Dressing - Heinz Ketchup -
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Jarred spaghetti sauce - Classico

This is me. I'm also snob about mayo and soy milk. I only get Hellman's mayo and Silk soy milk.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Has to be Hellmans Mayo. And Heinz Ketchup. Other than that I am not too fussy.
    It's not a brand, but if at all possible, I will only use canned San Marzano tomatoes. Doesn't matter which brand as long as they have the DOP. I say if possible since no store here sells them. If I travel to the "big city" 4 hours away, I buy a case or two. You know your speciall when I used my good tomatoes to feed you.
  • nmf062174
    nmf062174 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Skippy Peanut Butter-you can ell when dh does the shopping in our house-he comes home with "the other brand"
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    For me its cheese. I gotta have the kraft or sargento or even better is the deli sliced kind but Im usually too lazy for that. Off brand american cheese slices are discusting.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate has to be Green & Blacks.

Dijon mustard has to be Maille.

Baked beans (when I eat them) have to be Heinz.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Coach. oh wait you said FOOD. Coach. no wait Coach doesn't make food. okay i love Coach but for food its:

Jif natural peanut butter
    Silk soy milk
    on the extremely rare (think almost extinct) occasion i have/crave a hot dog i'll only eat hebrew national (not because i'm kosher but because ummm.... hello it's a hot dog who knows what goes into those things so at least with hebrew i know exactly what parts are in there.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Mac & Cheese - Kraft.
    Ketchup - Heinz.
    Mustard - French's.
    Hummus - Sabra.
    Butter - Challenge.

Not sure if it's more out of habit than "being snobby". Except Mac & Cheese. Has to be Kraft, everything else is gross.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I really can't think of any foods I'm a brand snob about. I'll buy store brand if it's a better price pretty much every time. I'm fussier about buying premium foods for my cats and dog than I am about getting name brands for myself.

Now toilet paper... that's another store. Cottonelle or Charmin Ultra only.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    actually i am a snob when it comes to most things ....... but as far as foods i look for the lowest calls whatever the brand. on saying that i dont eat baked beans corned beef things with bones things with eyes things with skin things with heads and legs.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Mine would have to be grass -fed beef! I wont go back to eating "store brand" after eating that goodness ;D!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I like Lucrene's Vanilla Almond Milk. I'll turn my nose up at others.

Oatmeal pretty much HAS to be Quaker-- although I had a really good one from an Organic company a few weeks ago.

Protein bars-- LUNA. Only Luna. Forever Luna. Nomnomnom Luna.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Franks Red Hot
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Ketchup-Heinz
    mayo-kraft
    mustard-frenchs
    soda-pepsi
    pickles-vlasic
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Probably deli meats. Gotta have Boar's Head. I don't particularly care for generic soda either.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    * Turkey bacon - has to be applegate farms, wellshire farms, or garrett county farms (these are the only ones I've found that have the good macros, taste good, and have a very short ingredients list)
    * Peanut butter - whatever lists ingredients: "Peanuts" or "Peanuts, salt"
    * Beer - i like to drink beer, not adjunct alco-pop
    * Chicken breasts - whatever brand is just natural chicken breast, not something containing pumped full of saline. i'll do my own brining thank you
    * Bananas - organic always

i guess i'm more of a food/additive snob than a brand snob per se.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Orange Juice - Simply Orange
    Pizza Sauce - Dei Fratellis ( I used to make homemade until I found this - better than homemade)

I make most of my foods at home even bread and tortillas, pasta sauces, hummus, etc.