Is there a way to get rid of varicose veins?

Options
SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
Ok so I've had these damn varicose veins on my left leg pretty much for as long as I can remember, including in my childhood. They weren't really that noticeable, but as I have lost weight they have become way more noticeable. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them??!

Replies

• chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First of all...are they really varicose or spider....I mean varicose look like grapes on the leg...which I had...and had them stripped years ago...no big deal
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. They can strip your veins ( I know it doesn't sounds good) But, with general anesthesia or a strong IV Sedation, this can be done. I don't know of any other way to get rid of them..??

Ok so I've had these damn varicose veins on my left leg pretty much for as long as I can remember, including in my childhood. They weren't really that noticeable, but as I have lost weight they have become way more noticeable. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them??!
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    They can use lasers to get rid of them, I believe.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    My "spider veins" have gotten less noticeable since I started working out regularly, but I don't have full varicose veins, I don't know if those can improve from exercise (better circulation?)
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    SPNLuver83 - Just cover them with tattoos. You know you wanna.... :)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can do yourself, but your doctor can... or he can refer you to someone who can...
  • pten0pus
    pten0pus Posts: 25
    Options
    I have spider veins on the back of my right knee and would love an answer to this as well. (bump)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'd go see a physician.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    surgery.

My Mom had the surgery earlier this year (one leg at a time). They are inherited, and that was the only way to get rid of them (she lost a lot of weight as well but she's had them for many decades). The surgery is kind of nasty...but it's the only solution.

One thing to keep in mind for those that do have the surgery. If the person ever needs bypass surgery (heart) later on they no longer have leg veins to harvest (typically what is done for bypass). So, they have to go to the arms instead (really tough recovery on that). :(
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yes, a doctor can put a small injection in them, a health care professional told me.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    They can use lasers to get rid of them, I believe.

They cannot use lasers in every case. :(
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about it. There is no natural way to lighten them unfortunately.
    He basically said the stripping thing. Which scares the **** out of me, but if they get any worse.... I'm gonna save up for that.
    Does anyone know how much a procedure like this costs?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I have spider veins on the back of my right knee and would love an answer to this as well. (bump)

spider veins can be treated with laser. Varicose are different. Go to a vein center for spider veins. There should be one in your area.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I asked my doctor about it. There is no natural way to lighten them unfortunately.
    He basically said the stripping thing. Which scares the **** out of me, but if they get any worse.... I'm gonna save up for that.
    Does anyone know how much a procedure like this costs?

The procedure depends on how much is covered by health insurance. You can get a free consultation at a vein center to find out the true cost in your area.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

this!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if they still strip veins - the procedures I've heard of more recently is one of two less invasive methods. One, they use lasers to basically close up the vein from the inside or 2) they inject something that iritates the vessels and causes them to shut down. My mother had the laser procedure done years ago and it's helped a lot with her discomfort. And to the PP's question, if you have spider veins, there are laser treatments to help those be less visible too.

As far as looks go, they don't bulge as much but you can still sort of see them. Tanning is the best way to make veins less visible. If your skin is pale, that blueness really sticks out but if your skin is darkened, they're much less visible. Maybe check out that spray tanning if you don't want to sit in the sun or use tanning beds.

I've got horrible vericosities in my left leg that are super uncomfortable this time of year in the heat and humidity. They're itchy, sore and achy. Haven't resorted to wearing support hose yet but there are days when I think about it pretty seriously! And I know at some point in the next 10 years I need to have something done to help with the discomfort.

Losing weight and getting active didn't make a difference in mine either way...they've only gotten worse with age. Although in my case, that could be because of genetics (everyone on my mother's side of the family has them, even her brother).
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    My nana has had spider and varicose veins for a long time. She is now 57. She has had everything done to try to remove them. She had laser surgery THREE times and then had to wear some sort of cream under stockings for a week, and nothing happened. They faded a bit but are still there and noticeable. :/ Same thign with stretch marks kind of. They will always be there even after laser surgery, they're just less noticeable sometimes.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There are a number of ways to get rid of them, depending on what you have and where they're located it can be laser, injections, or surgery. All options are safe and effective. Just google vein center and you're zip code and you'll find a place.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

I like this idea!! I have one on my right leg.... never was a problem until I lost weight!! grr!