Low Fat Raw Vegans

Options

Replies

• iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    I do know where to get protein from, I was on Atkins for six months (vegetarian) Ate 150 grams of protein and felt horrible. Protein is overrated, I think. There are raw vegans athletes. (iron man, fitness comp, cycling, ultra marathoners, etc.)
    Name one vegan source of protein that is low fat and low carb.
    broccoli!

If I'm aiming for 10% of my 2000 calories to come from protein, A few cups of broccoli will meet my goal by itself.
    10% is 200 cals. There's 4 cals in 1g of protein. So, 50g is your goal. Fair enough if you're not very active.

However, at 2g per cup, I think you may want to re-evaluate the last statement. Try 25 cups.
    True, but I would also eat lots of fruit. This is an extreemly carb focused diet... weird I know, but if you look into it, it's really quite healthy. I KNOW it is not the answer for EVERYONE, I am not trying to say it is.
  • kotcherr
    kotcherr Posts: 34
    Options
    Really wanted to do Raw. I really wish that I could, but I tried it for a week and constantly felt like I was about to pass out.
  • iRebel
    Options
    Really wanted to do Raw. I really wish that I could, but I tried it for a week and constantly felt like I was about to pass out.
    you were probably not eating enough calories. on LFRV you can eat 2500 calories
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I do know where to get protein from, I was on Atkins for six months (vegetarian) Ate 150 grams of protein and felt horrible. Protein is overrated, I think. There are raw vegans athletes. (iron man, fitness comp, cycling, ultra marathoners, etc.)
    Name one vegan source of protein that is low fat and low carb.
    broccoli!

If I'm aiming for 10% of my 2000 calories to come from protein, A few cups of broccoli will meet my goal by itself.
    10% is 200 cals. There's 4 cals in 1g of protein. So, 50g is your goal. Fair enough if you're not very active.

However, at 2g per cup, I think you may want to re-evaluate the last statement. Try 25 cups.
    True, but I would also eat lots of fruit. This is an extreemly carb focused diet... weird I know, but if you look into it, it's really quite healthy. I KNOW it is not the answer for EVERYONE, I am not trying to say it is.
    I might come off as an *kitten*, but thats just me. People get used to it. This is genuine concern.

You really do need protein in your diet. 50g is fine for the ordinary person that doesn't work out hard, so that's fine. But where are you going to get it from? Do some serious research on this. In case you're not aware you'll probably need to supplement Vitamin B12 as well.

Do your research. For now, stick to what you know in vegetarianism.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Not sure how the vegan low-fat diet would work but feel free to add me if you want. I'm just a plain ole vegan. :wink:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, is this for health reasons?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Sounds funny but I was just looking into this. I'm not a fan of the 811/ 30 bananas a day thing personally but the idea of raw is interesting. I am working on a more 40/20/20 vegan thing working toward raw and that diet is balanced by all standards. You need fat to function and all fat on a veggie diet is beneficial and no one should purposely drop below 15% protein for an extended period of time.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Yup, because calories, just like other measures like, oh I don't know, pounds for example, are variable like that.

Everyone knows a pound bricks weights way more than a pound of foam.

I'm curious though, name one Iron Man athlete that eats like that, 10% proteins, 10% fat ?

Again, not really looking to argue the fact that you eat like that, because I don't really care. I do care however about the healthy claims :p The Twinkie diet worked pretty well for one guy, but he didn't claim he could finish Kona though, that's the difference.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I live with someone who is gluten-casein-nut-meat - free...and eats mostly fruits,vegetables and fish -- pescatarian is the term I guess, and even with fish, a diet so limited is such a pain in the *kitten*. food choices are so limited and boring. but then again, people on restricted diets are often one step away from an eating disorder. and some people with eating disorders mask their ED with diets that have a name and severe restrictions.

but, good luck. I hear it is somewhat healthy. just so ... boring.
  • dansped
    dansped Posts: 1
    Options
    I am vegan and so is my wife. We are both perfectly heathly and normal weight. Someone says they are vegan and people think that is free reign to attack? Veganism is not any less healthy than vegetarianism. Saying you are vegan is pretentious? Haha what a bunch of *kitten*.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and so is my wife. We are both perfectly heathly and normal weight. Someone says they are vegan and people think that is free reign to attack? Veganism is not any less healthy than vegetarianism. Saying you are vegan is pretentious? Haha what a bunch of *kitten*.

I think the OP is doing a great job defending his position without you stepping in and calling people *kitten*.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You're perpetuating a stereotype here buddy. Nobody criticised vegans on the whole.
  • iRebel
    Options

Yup, because calories, just like other measures like, oh I don't know, pounds for example, are variable like that.

Everyone knows a pound bricks weights way more than a pound of foam.

I'm curious though, name one Iron Man athlete that eats like that, 10% proteins, 10% fat ?

Again, not really looking to argue the fact that you eat like that, because I don't really care. I do care however about the healthy claims :p The Twinkie diet worked pretty well for one guy, but he didn't claim he could finish Kona though, that's the difference.

uh, not really sure if you're mocking me or not here, what I mean is people can eat many more calories from fruits and veggies than they can from other foods. I am not sure why, but it's a well documented fact.
  • iRebel
    Options
    [/quote/]

I think the OP is doing a great job defending his position without you stepping in and calling people *kitten*.

[/quote]

thank you, I'm trying! :)
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    Why such an abyssmal amount of protein? Why not go for a diet that's a bit more balanced than 80/10/10
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Are there any of you guys on this site?? I am new to the whole LFRV/ HCRV thing. I would love to meet more like minded people.

And, yes, As always.... Haters gonna hate. :laugh:
    What kind of things can you eat on this diet?
  • amanda_medina
    Options
    im new to the lfrv thing also! i just switched from 3 years vegan to lfrv its really hard getting used to eating so much but so far i like it
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    sounds like torture. what are the benefits? especially of eating such a low amount of protein? i can never understand restrictive diets.
  • Why yes, I have the same raw eat patterns as Squirrels. Yes, I am a vegan.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    just from a digestive point of view...this type of diet would totally F me up! I would spend more time in the bathroom than anywhere else!!!!! To each his own.