What is your definition of healthy eating?

Options
linz1125
linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
When I wanted to lose weight, I thought for a long time what changes I was going to make in my lifestyle. I started eating more fresh fruits and veggies, and stumbled upon clean eating. To me, it made perfect sense: eat food in its most natural state, eat minimally processed foods, and eliminate sugar. Eliminating sugar was hard, but I'm doing great at it.

I had to find my definition of healthy eating, and I feel this fits for me. I am the daughter of an Italian baker and beer brewer. So the low-carb plan wouldn't work for me. It took a long time to find what works, and I have honestly never felt better.

So what is your definition of healthy eating? I'm just curious and want to see if there are any other options out there I haven't explored.

Thanks!

Replies

• kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Exactly what you said - clean eating. I think it's in the phrase too right - it's *clean* food.

Personally, when I focus on eating a whole, clean, mostly vegan diet I just feel so much better. The trick is noticing how it affects you to eat some of the foods that you've tried to cut out - if I eat dairy I feel congested, if I have a lot of unnatural sugar I feel moody, and processed foods make me feel really bloated and lethargic.

I do think that this is really personal and changes so much depending on your preferences, your lifestyle, and your upbringing. It's so key to find a way of eating that works for you and that makes you feel good. Congrats, keep at it!
  • Mayraapoppp
    Options
    I believe most people's definition of "healthy eating" is pretty similar. Less in, more out. For me, healthy eating means more protein, fruits and veggies.No more carbs (cake, pizza, pasta.. etc.) Less fat, sodium, sugars.. For example, no dressing on my salads, mixing in half nonfat milk and half water when making shakes, grilling with no oil, holding the cheese on a sandwich..A lot of times when trying to eat healthy though I go overboard and end up hating the food I eat since I cut out most of the flavor so I end up giving up. I'm trying to look for recipes online though to help me with both the weight loss and flavor! (:
  • linz1125
    Options
    I believe most people's definition of "healthy eating" is pretty similar. Less in, more out. For me, healthy eating means more protein, fruits and veggies.No more carbs (cake, pizza, pasta.. etc.) Less fat, sodium, sugars.. For example, no dressing on my salads, mixing in half nonfat milk and half water when making shakes, grilling with no oil, holding the cheese on a sandwich..A lot of times when trying to eat healthy though I go overboard and end up hating the food I eat since I cut out most of the flavor so I end up giving up. I'm trying to look for recipes online though to help me with both the weight loss and flavor! (:

I am glad to find someone else who doesn't put dressing on salads!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think for me, it has began with small changes leading up to bigger changes. I still eat unhealthy foods from time to time, but I make more of a conscious effort to eat healthier foods in general - more fruits, veggies, & lean meat. LESS SUGAR AND FAT. :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Definition of Healthy Eating:

Avoiding the Mother and Mother In Law's cooking like no tomorrow... OH MY GAWD...
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Avoiding the Mother and Mother In Law's cooking like no tomorrow... OH MY GAWD...

hahaha I can completely agree with this!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    fats, protein, veggies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Meeting my daily macros/micros, staying within calorie limits, and eating what I like to eat. 80/20 has worked for me for almost 30 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • magicalbedpan
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, lean meats. Eating more than 1200 calories. Eating back your calories.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh fruit and veg, lean grilled meat and fish, water
    Cut down white pasta/rice/bread
    Cut out processed food of any sort and unnecessary fats
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I lean toward cleanish eating, but I don't obsess about it. I try to pick things with the shortest ingredients label. I usually eat very basic. But to answer the question, I guess I would consider any diet where that is within +/- 500 calories of one's TDEE, with reasonably balanced macros to be "healthy".
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I eat all the fruit and veggies I can in a day along w/lean meats or fish. I avoid sugars and sugar substitutes. (I have them in moderation) I avoid processed foods and carbs such as bread, pasta, potatoes (now I will bake a potatoe and scoop out most of the insides) also I don't eat a lot of dairy (I use almond milk). I feel better, it's working for me.
    Oh and I have to avoid the food that my husband cooks, it's yummy but he doesn't seem to know te definition of healthy cooking, lol.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think its a lot about balance. I know that I can't cut out all carbs or high fat foods or junk. I know that sometimes I will have it. I've accepted that. I think healthy eating is more than just cutting out sugar, refined carbs, or eating less processed stuff. I, for one, choose to eat more veggies and fruits and less processed junk. I cut down on carbs, but don't cut them out. Dairy makes me feel like my chest is congested and makes my stomach hurt. I choose soymilk over cow's milk. But the other side of this coin, it is a psychological meaning too. I have to be prepared for eating junk along the way. I have to accept food as a means of providing energy to my body and not just as something pleasing to the palette. I have to understand that exercise is directly related to my healthy eating and is just as important. I have to be ready to deal with all different situations that might throw me off track and not let it get me down. I have to break free from emotional eating and the addictive properties of food. But most of all, it has to be sustainable.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I had to find my definition of healthy eating, and I feel this fits for me. I am the daughter of an Italian baker and beer brewer. So the low-carb plan wouldn't work for me. It took a long time to find what works, and I have honestly never felt better.

an Italian baker AND a beer brewer? Lucky you!!!

I'm glad that you've found a way of eating that works for you. :smile:
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, fruits, meats, dairy, fats, proteins, carbs including pasta, bread, and rice.

Cooking from scratch using said ingredients.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Agreed!!!!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options

I am glad to find someone else who doesn't put dressing on salads!

I eat my salads dry too (no dressing)...I thought I was alone on that!
  • Mayraapoppp
    Options
    It's actually really easy to, too as long as there is a wide variety of tasty veggies to begin with, there is no need for it. (:
  • linz1125
    Options
    It's actually really easy to, too as long as there is a wide variety of tasty veggies to begin with, there is no need for it. (:
    Agree! I want the taste of all the veggies, not have it drowned in dressing.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Its only clean if you wash it with soap... I tend to eat similar to the "clean" eating since I eat a lot of protein and veggies, and those aren't really the culprits anyway. I try to limit my carbs but as long as it fits into my macros (under my calorie goal) I eat whatever I want! When cutting I eat "clean", when bulking not as much! I can afford more! plenty of people have lead by example that if you get enough of the macro/micro nutrients you need the source of extra calories doesn't matter much.