Measuring Waist

Options
Hi Everyone, I hear and see so many different answers, but I would like to know how and where to measure your waist?:huh: I know it sounds silly, but I hear that you should measure youself around your belly button and that determines how much you're "at risk" for certain things, but I also see people measuring themselves at their waist (where their stomach curves on the side) I have a high waist, so it's way different than where my belly button is, but I'm not even sure what measurments I should be taking...does this make sense :embarassed:

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I measure mine at the smallest point, above where my hips cut in. Right or wrong, I'm consistant.
  • s_sanchez
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing...I've heard both at the smallest part and around your belly button??
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, you measure your waist at the smallest point as denoted by any inward bend at the sides, if you cannot determine that, usually about 1 inch below the belly button is the point.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My narrow point is 1" above my belly button:huh:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

we're all different. :laugh:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I'm with you. :laugh:

I personally track both the smallest point (my "waist") AND, right at my belly button. Currently, my "waist" is about 3" smaller than at my belly button (what can I say, at my belly button, my body is already preparing to turn into my monster sized hips/butt/thighs :laugh:).
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ok cool, thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will measure every lump I have on my waist just to see if its all going down :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I just stood up at my desk, looked furtively over my shoulder to make sure no one was watching, and pulled up my shirt to see where my belly button falls versus my waist. My waist is about 1" above my belly button too. :wink: Maybe the 1" below is a male thing. :tongue:
  • vanimami
    Options

I just stood up at my desk, looked furtively over my shoulder to make sure no one was watching, and pulled up my shirt to see where my belly button falls versus my waist. My waist is about 1" above my belly button too. :wink: Maybe the 1" below is a male thing. :tongue:

Mine is too, about 1 inch above my belly button.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Bit of a "boy-girl" thing there too. As a dude, my thinnest spot is a little below the navel. That point on my wife is hip-flared (beautifully, I might add :tongue: ),,, and her smallest is a couple inches higher.

Men and women are different, and vive la' differance!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

it's kind of arbitrary, since the belly button is skin, it's not in a fixed location for everyone. Basically, you should measure where "normal" pants would button (by normal I mean, not the low waisted ones some people wear). Essentially you're supposed to measure right above where the hip bone ends, but again, some people store fat differently, so you really should try to find the spot that's smallest for you.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options

I am glad you posted this, because I was thinking the same thing about myself.:embarassed: I am glad that there is another like me:laugh:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    thanks for this info folks...another question bout measuring....I have seen many when they measure someone ( Dr Oz ) pull the tape tight or have the person suck in? to me this would not be a normal measurement...anyone? sure I can suck in, but it WILL be smaller...
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can suck in, but you can only suck in so far. If you measured consistently at maximum "suck in", and "sucked in" just as hard consistently over time and compared measurements over a period of time - then that measure of progress should be just as accurate as any other.

Personally I tend to stand with the shoulders back and the abs a little tense and a bit of a suck-in just a part of good posture, so that's how I measure. I've been getting pretty consistent measurements over time, and doing well with it.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    thanks for this info folks...another question bout measuring....I have seen many when they measure someone ( Dr Oz ) pull the tape tight or have the person suck in? to me this would not be a normal measurement...anyone? sure I can suck in, but it WILL be smaller...

no sucking in, but it should be snug, not to the point where you're creating a "dent" but snug, I.E. tight enough so that there's no opportunity for the tape measure to ripple or bend.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    for a brief time when i was on the gimmicky bandwagon and looking to get broke lol i did herbal magic...

they would measure me 2 "fingers" (an inch?) above and 2 fingers below my belly button and then around my hips as well... i have added all of these measurements to my measurement chart :smile: i figure the more places to measure the more inches to lose!!! heheeh
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this! I've been having problems figuring this out myself.

I've also been measuring my hips wrong, I've recently learned. But for the sake of consistancy in reporting, I'll just keep doing it my 'wrong' way. :)
  • vanimami
    Options

no sucking in, but it should be snug, not to the point where you're creating a "dent" but snug, I.E. tight enough so that there's no opportunity for the tape measure to ripple or bend.

That was my next question, thanks for answering :smile:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ARG! So my waist is either 27" (at skinniest point, about an inch above belly button) or 30.5" (at widest point, with tape measure going right across belly button and around hateful muffin top).

I most certainly do not have a place just above my hips where it dips in. If anything it flares out at that place (see above reference to hateful muffin top).

That's the measurement that has been so slow to change.