Options

Replies

• svazquez820
    svazquez820 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! :)
  • DebbieWillAcheiveGoal
    Options
    My daughter has super curly hair and i nearly lost my mind, because my hair is straight as a board, until i found herbal essence totally twisted. It helps manage the frizz and the drama lol
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    My daughter has super curly hair and i nearly lost my mind, because my hair is straight as a board, until i found herbal essence totally twisted. It helps manage the frizz and the drama lol

I'm glad you did the research. LOL. My mom has straight, thin hair and didn't know what to do with my curls, so she BRUSHED THEM OUT. I spent most of my childhood with a frizzy ponytail. It wasn't until I started reading Seventeen magazine that I realized there were products out there! LOL
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later :)
  • hattiendwoody
    Options
    Mines naturally curly, and I just leave it :) xx
  • alpha1029
    alpha1029 Posts: 139
    Options
    I have sort of wavy curls and I used to use mousse, but it never came out looking very good. My hairdresser recommended I start using a spray conditioner and a little spray gel. I use Cristophe for the conditioner and Bed Head gel. It works pretty well unless it's super humid.
  • Strongisthenewskny
    Strongisthenewskny Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Foxy Curls by TIGI Bed Head works great as well! I suggest using a cream than a gel, because gel tends to have TOO much alcohol in it and tends to dry out your hair more! I'm half black, so I do my hair a little different. I wash my hair and then I put moisturizer in it right after. I then put my hair in a head wrap and wear that to bed, when I wake up I take the wrap off and my hair is curly, and soft! NO FRIZZ EITHER!
  • luggagepuggage
    Options
    Argan Oil is a godsend for curly hair! Put like a dime-nickel sized (depending on length) after you get out of the shower and it makes your hair super soft and frizz-free. Plus its all-natural!!!

I got mine at Sally's Beauty Supply (I don't know if their nationwide) for like $7 but it lasts for months since you use so little.
  • krazykando
    krazykando Posts: 38
    Options
    I use Sprunch Spray by Aussie. Love it!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I did hair for 10 years and I have waist length long curly hair.

Expensive product: Paul Mitchell's The Mousse, it gives a great natural curl, and when it is drying you can run your hands through it and DONE!

El Cheapo product: Suave's Curling Mousse, I love my curl pattern with this mousse. Other curling products give my hair an ugly curl pattern that looks permed (its not). No matter what I use, I keep coming back to this mousse.

No frizz! No fuzz! No clumps! No crusty curls!:smile:
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    curly girl here, love all the suggestions. the flat iron is frying my hair!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Like other posters have said, I also like Garnier Curl Sculpting Cream-Gel, on days I wear it curly.

Half the time I wear my hair naturally curly, and the other half I wear it straight - it depends on how much time I have and how humid it is (it gets ridiculously humid in Minnesota in the summertime). I do feel like my hair looks more "done" when it's straight...I feel kind of messy with it curly, and I've had many men tell me they don't like curly hair. :noway:

My hair is very long and thick, and I do color it every few months (it's dark brown but I had been dying it black for years, and have now started to gradually add in caramel color highlights to get back to brown).

I wash it only once or twice a week, with a sulfate-free shampoo, and condition with a very rich conditioner (can't remember what it's called but it's one of the L'Oreal ones). I then add either a dime sized amount of argan oil or melted coconut oil before I comb through it with a wide tooth comb. On straight days, I use Frizz Ease Straight Fixation Smoothing Cream, blow dry with a round brush, and run a flat iron through it. On curly days I either air dry or dry with a diffuser.

In between washes, a sprinkle of baby powder works to sop up any excess oil! Just make sure you rub it in good, esp if you have very dark hair.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is probably WAY too much info for ANYONE, but it has taken me FOREVER to tame my wild hair, so I'm sharing for anyone who still needs help or for the Moms out there who don't understand their child's crazy hair. (My hair looked like Merida's (a la Brave) when I was young and I can't tell you the nights after a shower I spent with a bottle of No-Tears bawling my eyes out as my mom combed my hair with a fine-toothed comb.)

I don't use anything "spray" or anything "mousse". I only use oils if I plan on flat-ironing it. I have thick, curly, very coarse hair and here's what I've found works for me.

1) I shampoo my hair MAYBE once a month. Just water and my fingernails does what needs to be done most of the time, honestly.
    2) I condition my hair EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    3) I only ever shower in the morning unless, for some reason, I HAVE to shower at night. My hair stays wet FOREVER and if I sleep on wet hair I get a huge mess in the AM.
    4) If I'm going into the pool (I do laps 2-3 times a week), I wet my hair, put conditioner in and don't rinse it out before I get into the pool.
    5) I switch up my shampoo/conditioner brands, but always use their "moisturizing" lines in whatever brand I'm currently on.

Normal day:
    When I shower, I finger/water clean my scalp.
    Then I put a crapton of conditioner in, paying attention to both the roots and the scalp.
    Comb my hair with a wide toothed comb, if I have one. Otherwise with my fingers. This separates my curls a bit.
    Leave that in for a while, and then rinse out well.
    Then I put a small dab of conditioner in my hands, run it through my hair when it's still wet before getting out. And leave it in.
    Afterwards, I wrap it in a towel (but NEVER turn my head upside down or wrap it in some twisted way - just basically a towel around my hair to catch the fall off).
    I then finger comb, style, and put some gel in. There are certain types of gels that work, and others - not so much. Again, no creams, mousse, spray, none of that works well, and extra oils because don't seem to help it at all unless some heat is coming after!
    Hairspray a bit and then never touch it all day if at all possible.

The only spray that has EVER worked for me was this Bohemian Waves stuff or something like it. I once read that Kate Hudson used it so I tried it and it worked great. Then they discontinued it (either just from MY Target or completely) and I haven't found any other spray that works.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I have super curly hair and have several different products I use depending on the occassion. I use either Frizz ease shampoo and conditioner or herbal essence both work as well just need to change it up every once and I while... I put in Ganier frutiess leave in conditioner and Frizz ease mousse comb and go....

In the winter I use Herbal essense gel but in the summer I have to use mousse because its to damn hot and the gel melts lol
  • eva312
    eva312 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Use a cocktail of hair serum and a curl crème >> diffuse>> spritz on some anti-humidity hairspray and you should be good to go. On the low end I use to use John Frieda, but have since made a switch to alcohol/paraben free so I'm using Moroccan Oil products. PS shampoo and conditioner are vital in a curly girl’s hair process!
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    Mine is usually in a pony tail. Can't stand it down when it's curly. And when I feel the gumption to straighten it, I do so. I don't put any products on my hair whatsoever. Ever. Learned when I was a teenager it causes me to have dry scalp and dandruff like its going out of style.
  • TMarieB30
    TMarieB30 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have curly hair and I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum and Herbal Essence Tousal Me Softly Spray gel after. I have battled, frizzy, funky, curls my whole life and just now am liking my hair. Try these and good luck :)
  • Leslieheindel
    Leslieheindel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Moroccan oil is the best!!!
  • duranchick72
    duranchick72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use the DevaCurl line the ArcAnGel and the Voluminizing Foam, together or alone are great. I use the Loreal Sulfate Free Cleansing Conditioner or the DevaCurl One Condition. I shampoo once a week. I try not to use a blow dryer unless I have to. If I do I use a diffuser. I use duckbill clips at my roots for a little lift while its drying too. After the gym I usually try and just keep it in a ponytail or bun. Sometimes I can salvage my hair after working out, most days I can't. I have been fighting with my very long curly hair forever and finally feel like its under control. Using the sulfate free stuff and not shampooing has made a huge difference!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Aussie Catch the Wave mousse & leave-in conditioner in one.
    Apply, scrunch and blow or air dry...
    Less than $4 a bottle and works great!