Just joined, and a little frightened.

Options
Hello All-
My name is Donna and I have just joined this site. I have been struggling to lose weight for the last couple of years, and I am a little afraid that this isn't going to work for me either. Did anyone start off like that, but was successful anyway?

I am an ex-fitness instructor and my degrees are in nutrition, so I know WHAT to do, but after going through fertility treatments at 37 and 38, my body does not react to things like it used to. I am now 46, 5'10" tall and 235lbs. My initial goal is 180lbs. I am a size 10 at that weight. It's not my ultimate goal, but getting to that would be over 50 pounds at this point, and I thought I would make that my first goal. Honestly, getting below 200 would leave me ecstatic, my body hasn't seen that in about 6 years.

Any people who tried other things (esp. over 40) without success, but really like what they are doing on MFP?

I would love the pep talk and making new friends!

Thank you, Donna K.:happy:

Replies

• harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    dont be nervous. we dont bite..that hard ;) jk

welcome to a virtual world where everyone is super support. you might get addicted-just warning you
    -Harper:)
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    45 yo girly here and I love MFP. I have done EVERY diet in the past and was most successfull with WW but found figuring out points too stressfull and now with MFP I have everything I need on my phone. Welcome and feel free to add me.

You will LOVE it too...I promise or we will give your money back!!! LOL

Colette
  • 1n2m3g
    1n2m3g Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi Donna!
    Welcome and yes this works!
    :) Nicole
  • Mini_Me_G
    Mini_Me_G Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Donna....I joined about two months ago....my weight loss at first was pretty good .... about two pounds a week.....I have done many diets in the past too...WW was one of the better ones but the weight always came back plus more...and after a while counting all of those points just wasn't doing it for me anymore....I would rather count calories....and as long as you are good at keeping track of what you eat, you should be successfull.....plus doing a bit of excercise doesn't hurt.....only helps the cause.

Good luck!

Mini_me-G
  • EKK0220
    EKK0220 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Donna, I may not be in my 40's yet (am 32) but I certainly feel your pain - I am very similar to you in what I want to lose - and size wise. I am not a nutritionist but I know a lot about it and I do eat very healthy and exercise. Tried low carb, tried WW...what works for me, is counting calories and watching my bad carbs (you know what they are).

I would love to have you add me and we can encourage each other, keep each other in the loop on what is working and what is not, etc... I really do think this is a great site and the mobile version is awesome too.

Erin
  • QueenGorgo
    QueenGorgo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think anytime you attempt to make a change in your life you have an amount of fear..especially if you haven't succeeded the way you wanted to in the past..here's the advice I've learned during my journey of losing weight/gaining weight/losing weight- my body has kept moving, kept working, throughout all of the abuse I've put it through to lose weight..now I'm learning that this body I have is amazing, it's strong, and it's beautiful- no matter what weight I happen to be at. I have to love who I am right this second so that I can truly appreciate who I'm trying to become.. with your background you know this is a lifestyle and a forever type of change..so if it's going to be forever there's no need to rush or beat yourself up if you don't get the results you want when you want them.

If you can work on loving your body, it won't seem like punishment if you don't succeed at the rate you imagine you should...anything you accomplish will be icing on the cake. But if you judge your body negatively because it doesn't look like you want it to look or how you used to look it just makes a difficult job even more difficult..

Never say anything to yourself you wouldn't allow anyone to say to your best friend ....
  • MernyMac
    MernyMac Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welcome Donna.....To your next addiction....lol.....I'm 61 years old, with a sedentary life style due to medical issues, and it's working for me !!....Don't be afraid.....This site is really awesome !....Everyone on here is so supportive, and I've learned so much.....I've dieted before, only to gain it all back plus more.....I would NEVER log my food or blog my thoughts....to be honest I was just to lazy to do it and didn't feel it was necessary.....Boy was I wrong !!!.....I log every day and I blog now too....It helps if you just need to vent about something, or if your just having a great day and want to share it with the world !.....And what's nice is that you find out your not alone, when you might feel like you are....Everyone on here is on the same journey, they don't gloss things over, and tell you how easy it's going to be....They tell you how it is, or how it's been for them.....But they do it in a kind and caring way.....You'll make lots of friends here.....They will cheer you on when you're doing well, and cheer you up when your feeling defeated.......So don't be afraid one bit.....Dive right in and give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose but those nasty pounds.......Please feel free to add me as a friend in you would like.....Good luck on your journey......Together WE CAN DO THIS !!
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    welcome i am here daily if you want a mfp friend add me you wont be disapointed love to give and get support best wishes to all your goals
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I said almost the same thing when I started. I was a bit scared...what if this doesn't work, what if it DOES work? Now sit back and let the fun begin! You can meet and surpass your goals in time.
  • XHeatherDianeX
    XHeatherDianeX Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, until I felt the changes. Just take it day by day. You will be OK :)
  • efhilton
    efhilton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey Donna, I'm in your same boat. I'm 41 and for the first time in my entire life, something seems to be working for me and sticking. Hang in there, follow the program, and you'll be fine!
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical too, tried all the diet pills and even have the lap band... but I was terrified with last fill when I couldnt eat, so had them pull some back out. I am now 30+ days into MFP and have lost 16 lbs. sometimes just accountability helps. and definitely the encouragement you get from complete strangers who know where you are and where you've been.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!! It is (usually) a Safe, Fun Place. It is slightly addictive, but I don't mind because Consistency -Logging in and Tracking your Food and Exercise every day - leads to meeting your Goals AND meeting some pretty Fabulous Friends!!
    :drinker: Good Luck!!
  • ArtsyLaurie
    ArtsyLaurie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP ^_^
    I did pretty well using MFP, lost about 7 pounds I think. Then re-set my ticker when I decided to try the primal blueprint diet I read about on Mark's Daily Apple. Adding friends on here is really helpful, they cheer you on and ask what's up if you're gone too many days.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of success stories coming out of this website. It's easy to use and simple enough. You'll hear a lot of back and forth about the proper way to do things, but just remind yourself what you are here for: calorie counting. I think you'll do fine and find a good support group. I am 23 but I have hypothyroidism and PCOS and I have been successful using the laws of thermodynamics: calories in > calories out.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I thought when I first started here...probably that I would do it for a week and drop it like cold turkey. 4 1/2 months and 49 lbs later I m still here and going strong! I too will be ecstatic WHEN I reach 200 as I have not been that light since the early '90's...I am confident that the site nd the supportive people that are here will be just what the doctor ordered! Welcome and see you "lighter"!
  • estrada3d
    estrada3d Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    be verrry afraiddddd........ jk good luck! :)
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow, Donna, I'm the same height and age 56! I love MFP, I've tried to lose the same pounds over and over and over! At least for the past 10 years, I was at a stable weight, well, within 10-12 pounds up or down! However, even thought I was okay with my weight and figure, I wasn't ecstatic! My first goal was to have to buy a new wardrobe and I achieved that goal within 5 months of starting MFP. I had started a weight loss and fitness contest at work and had lost about 15 pounds before I started MFP. It's definitely been easier when I can log in and see what I'm eating is "costing" in calories. My aiml is to make this weight loss forever. Right now, I'm at the same weight I was 31 years ago, which was my second goal! My next goal is to get below 200, and I'm sure I'll have to buy yet another size of clothes to wear! Thank goodness for consignment stores. :tongue: If you can get yourself to log in faithfully and don't get discouraged about eating more calories than you should. As long as it's not often, you'll do great on this!
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been on this site since the beginning of June and have lost 10 lbs so far. I'm 37 and have some health problems that can make it difficult for me to lose weight... so far so good though! I've found that with better portion control I've been successful these last 5 weeks. Through tracking my food I'm also way more aware of what I'm eating than I ever used to be. My biggest fear being on this journey is that if it stops working I don't want to give up completely.
    Welcome to MFP! And good luck!!
  • wannadance
    wannadance Posts: 59
    Options
    I was definitely a little skeptical - i mean i knew it could work, i just wasn't sure it would (if that makes sense?). But seriously, its the consistency and long term of it that matters - don't worry too much if you have a bad meal or a bad day, the next meal / day is a chance to keep moving foward and towards your goal... it all adds up, and it definately works. All the best! :)