Tonsils removed tomorrow.....EEEEEKKK

Options
Well I have never posted before and I usually talk to my best friend jess....but she is in jamaica this week (yeah i sooooooooo wish I was there). I am getting my tonsils removed tomorrow and I am terrified. I have never had surgery before.... On the up side the doc told me i would lose about 10 pounds because I am on a strict liquid diet for the next week or so. Im real happy about that! I am upset because I wont be able to go to the gym for the week.. :sad: Has anyone ever had their tonsils out as an adult? I just dont really know what to expect.......

Replies

• Tanya25star
    Tanya25star Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well I have never posted before and I usually talk to my best friend jess....but she is in jamaica this week (yeah i sooooooooo wish I was there). I am getting my tonsils removed tomorrow and I am terrified. I have never had surgery before.... On the up side the doc told me i would lose about 10 pounds because I am on a strict liquid diet for the next week or so. Im real happy about that! I am upset because I wont be able to go to the gym for the week.. :sad: Has anyone ever had their tonsils out as an adult? I just dont really know what to expect.......
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    I had mine removed when I was little so I cant help you in that regard, but I'm sure you will be fine. Be prepared to take it easy for a while afterwards. Just think - you will never have to suffer with tonsillitis again!!!

Good Luck and let us know how you are!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jsmalla
    jsmalla Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was only five when I had mine out. That was 100 years ago. I've heard it's tougher for adults but the adults I have known who had their tonsils out made it through with flying colors. You'll do just fine. Here's a couple of prayers for you.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    i had mine out when i was 16 and honestly it wasnt as bad as i thought it would have been.... it was probably as bad as one of my really sore throats i used to get before i got them out.... I think i had gotten myself to think it was gonna be SOOOOOOO painful and it was painful but not the worst pain i have ever felt....not even close...
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I had mine taken out when I was 17. It's not that bad, it was my only surgery that I ever had. Rest!! You'll need it. Try not to overdo it.This is your time to let your body relax. Then you can get back into the swing of things! Good luck!:wink:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I still have all my original body parts so I still have my tonsils. They wanted to take mine out about 11 yrs ago and I said no!! Sorry can't help you. But good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i still have my tonsils but i just wanted to say good luck! enjoy your liquids haha!! :wink:
  • Tanya25star
    Tanya25star Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank You all so much for your support....it really means a lot to me.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 23. If the doctor tells you to plan on being out for 2 weeks, they mean it. I tried to go back to work early and didn't make it. You'll spend a lot of time sleeping and laying around. That's okay.

Get your pain prescriptions filled and use them. Don't try to tough it out. Eat only what you can, don't worry about weight loss or eating the wrong foods. For the next two weeks, you'll be eating only to survive.

I developed as taste for hot-dogs with mayo. :sick:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I haven't had my tonsils out but I've had over ten surgeries and I know for a fact that there's nothing to worry about. I think one of the best part of surgery is when the anesthesiologist gives you a cocktail to wind you down pre-surgery. The last cocktail I received I thought I was dancing on clouds :)

You'll be fine.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    My best friend had her's out in January - she's 36. She did remarkably well and recovered pretty quickly. You do need to plan on 2 weeks to recover though. Don't plan any major activities for that long. Rest, be good to yourself and you'll be fine. Hope surgery goes great!! Take care of yourself - Kim