I want to start running but I need tips...

Options
I have been walking for the last 6-8 weeks about 2-3 miles around 5-6 days a week, but I would like to start running. Right now my weight is 247(after losing 25 pounds) so I don't know what precautions should I take regarding getting injured/pulling a muscle and stuff like that. What would you runners recommend, should I lose more weight before starting running, what type of shoes may be better, how do I start so I begin to get used to it, any tip that will make it work will be appreciated!!! :)

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you have some good running shoes and be sure to warm up first and stretch after. You might start by alternating running and walking in your workout and build up to full run.

Best of luck! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No need to lose more weight first!

Start slow - one of the biggest mistakes new runners make is trying to run full speed. This will make you lose your breath and energy very quickly. Think "jog" if you have to, a nice slow run. Try pacing breathing to your steps...breathe in for two foot falls, breath out for 2 footfalls. If you can't keep up, that means your feet are moving too fast and you have to slow down.

A lot of folks here use the C25K program (google it) and/or apps. But you could always set up your own training program (I did) and just slowly increase your running time each week.

As far as shoes go, you'll get plenty of different recommendations for brands. My advice is to find your local specialty shoe store, or running store if you have one and have them check your stride, pressure points, etc. That way they'll know what your problem areas are and will be able to put you in the best shoes for you.

My only other tip is to make sure you're hydrated and well fueled before hand. Everyone's different so I can't say what'll work for you but I found a good balance of protein and carbs helped keep me going. \

Above all, just get out there and try it!

ETA: I highly recommend getting your hands on a book by John Bingham called The Courage to Start. It's excellent for beginner runners! Lots of great advice, tips and motivation!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for the right shoes, and then start slowly - run one minute walk one x 10 At least three times a week...The next week, run two walk one - again for a total of 20 minutes...Keep on upping the running portion by a minute a week, until you can do 2x10 minutes of continious running with one minute walk inbetween...
    Go slowly and don't overdo it - you have to be able to still talk or sing when you run.....
    Good luck and have fun! I started running this way at 227lbs and do 10km - 14km for fun every Saturday with shorter runs in the week...I still do the long runs at 10 run, 1 walks and love it!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting!!!

Shoes first, go to a local running store (not big sporting goods store) and get fitted. They should feel comfortable out of the box and the store will help you with a fit that will make your life much more comfortable and help with injury prevention.

C25K or some other plan that gently builds you up. Slow your pace down. This sounds weird if you think you are slow, but if you are struggling to run at any pace, go slower. Speed comes with time on your feet, injury comes from too much too soon.

Warm up by walking and doing some dynamic streching, do not do static streches until after your run, this is another way to get injured.

Hydrate well, fuel, but don't go too overboard on fueling, whatever you eat to fuel, count it and be sure you stick within your daily calories + workout calories. At this point, just starting out, you are not in danger of hitting "the wall" if you don't have enough to eat ahead of time.

Always remember that some days will feel great and some days are just going to suck (this is not a beginner thing, it is always going to be that way) stick with it, the end result is worth it.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good advice. My two cents: 1. Get the best shoes you can afford; they are worth every penny. 2. Don't think you can't. (I weighed more than you do when I started). Just walk a bit, push off and go! You'll probably surprise yourself!
    3. Stay with it. 4. ENJOY!!!
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you have some good running shoes and be sure to warm up first and stretch after. You might start by alternating running and walking in your workout and build up to full run.

Best of luck! :)

^^^^^ This I started running by doing intervals!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I ran 10 minutes straight--I nearly fell off my treadmill, I was so excited!! I'd reiterate what others have said--take it slow. I didn't do a C25K, but I just sort of made it up as I went--walk 15 minutes, run 5. Then walk 10 and run 10...and so on. If you don't think you can push yourself further that week but want some challenge, try increasing the incline (if you're on a treadmill). You'll do great!!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I started using C25K on the treadmill but now I do more outdoors. I'll pick a tree or a mailbox or some other landmark and jog to it then powerwalk until I catch my breath to jog again. Its a process. If you have any joint or other health problems, get your doctor to clear you before you start anything strenuous. But if you've been doing 2-3 miles, I'd go ahead and pick up the pace. Do what you can do and then push yourself 10 seconds more or 10 paces more. Just more! Good luck!
  • Doxts
    Doxts Posts: 4
    Options
    This is really great advice. I started the same way 4 years ago. I would just try to run 1/4 mile, and then walk the rest. I increased every week...and I even still do that when training for a run! It totally works! I also found that if I just keep going until I sweat, it becomes a lot easier. But until that initial sweat, I feel like I'm dying!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I weighed about 235 when I started running.

Get yourself a good pair of runners (and use them exclusively for running) at a running specialty store. Take your time progressing, listen to your body. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too fast. too soon.

Have fun.
  • ccbarbeau
    ccbarbeau Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tips you've gotten so far - get fitted for a good pair of shoes, and take it slow. I started running at 248 pounds, 5 weeks after giving birth. I'm using a C25k app, and I've repeated weeks when I didn't feel ready to move on.

My couple words of advice:

BREATHE! I tend to concentrate on running so much that I forget to breathe.
    Google some videos on proper running form - they helped me a lot.

Good luck, and have fun! Holler if you need any motivation!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Get shoes at a running store. They will watch you run and help pick shoes that work for your stride. Try to land on your midsole not right on your heel. Run slow. Seriously, slowing down made all the difference for me. Once you can run 5k you can worry about running that 5k faster.

Check out Couch to 5k, if you have an iPhone there are several apps that will help you with it (Get Running is really popular on the Fitocracy C25k group, or you can use 10k For Pink Free (the first 9 weeks are Couch to 5k, it just keeps going to 10k) which is what I've been using.

I'm just wrapping up week 5 of Couch to 5k and it's amazing how ,y cardio has improved. In week 1 I could *barely* survive to 60 second running intervals. Tomorrow I will be running 20 minutes straight. Repeat a week if you have to, but don't give up because you will feel amazing soon.

When you're really struggling breathe out HARD. Forcing all the air our of your lungs will let you fill them with new, oxygen rich air. Seems like a no brainier but sometimes I pant really shallowly when I'm running out of steam.

Good luck!
  • ninakretina
    Options
    I appreciate ALL of your tips, thank you guys!! I was thinking of doing the intervals thing, like mixing running and walking in my routine, so that's how I'll start. And I'll try to get new shoes, too!!! :)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    C25K, its a great app, you can get on your Iphone or Droid for free, it starts you off slow, and if your not ready to move to the next stage then just do the current stage for another week,
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said: Start slowly. Go for your walk as per usual, but every couple of minutes take it at a jog. Revert back to walking as needed (when you feel like you can't jog anymore). Keep cycling like this, gradually increasing the pace of your jog. Eventually you won't need to break and walk as often.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Get some good shoes. Get fitted for some. And run on grass!! I always run along the grass of cement paths. It's just way better for your knees.
  • antonette15
    antonette15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Like most people have already told you, get good shoes and always warm up before running. My advice is to enjoy it. I tell myself everytime I start struggling or think I can't do it anymore is, "Running is a privilege." I know not everyone can run due to their health or other issues. I'm just happy that I am able to run. Start slow, I did the 1 minute walk/1 minute run for an hour. I slowly increased my pace when I felt I was ready. I made sure I pushed myself, but only to a certain degree. For me, being able to run was more of a mental challenge than a physical one. I was never one of those natural runners. I had to earn it. I was able to make it to 80 minutes straight of running. I've had knee problems, so I have to cut that down. But I can't tell you how great it feels to be able to run! I still run really slow. I guess that's my last advice, run at your own pace. Don't worry about other people. When I first started running, I felt a little embarrassed when faster runners would pass me by or even just passing people. Then I got over it. I stopped caring about what other people thought about my pace. I am out there and I am running, that's what counts. You can do it!! I was 228 when I first joined mfp and that's when I started running. I know that running has been the #1 activity for me that has helped me lose 44lbs. If I can do it, you certainly can!!!
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just commented tonight on my page that Speed walking has now turned into long spouts of jogging! And I feel so great. Like I can't wait to go back out in the morning.

Yes, have great running shoes and start off slow! Baby steps not gigantic leaps!
  • SemperFi91
    SemperFi91 Posts: 169
    Options
    I would recommend c25k it will build you up to being a runner! =) Im on week 4 now and able to run 5 min straight im also 222 its been helping me lose weight well running/strength/diet.
  • jackiereye
    Options
    hi there,i started running a year ago and i love it! its a great stress relief and the physical benefits you cant beat. I bought the zig zag running shoes by reebok,they really help with the impact and strain on the legs,get a great pair of running pants,the compression type. Get the shock bra for your chest,i am a 34dd and wear that bra plus a built in bra shirt to hold everything in. Start out with intervals,walk,:laugh: :happy: speed walk,run for 2 min,walk. Try this process a few weeks and gradualy run longer each week. I can now run a hour straight but if i want to blast the fat burn i do this. good luck!