What to order at a restaurant? (date with hubby)

Options
I was wondering what everyone has ordered at a restaurant when dieting. I'm going on a date with my husband tomorrow night and every online menu I've looked at seems out of the question. One thing is for sure, I will be ordering a glass of red wine as a reward! I only want to consume around 550-600 calories. I plan on exercising an extra 25 minutes on the elliptical tomorrow morning at the gym. My ticker says vie lost 7 but I'd already lost 2 before joining MFP. So 9 pounds! Any help would be great!

Replies

• KellyC115
    KellyC115 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BumP
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what everyone has ordered at a restaurant when dieting. I'm going on a date with my husband tomorrow night and every online menu I've looked at seems out of the question. One thing is for sure, I will be ordering a glass of red wine as a reward! I only want to consume around 550-600 calories. I plan on exercising an extra 25 minutes on the elliptical tomorrow morning at the gym. My ticker says vie lost 7 but I'd already lost 2 before joining MFP. So 9 pounds! Any help would be great!

Order anything you want. Just cut it in half and take the rest home. REAL HALF.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    plain grilled protein and salad or steamed veg with butter.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of sharing an entree with the hubby . My husband and I do this all the time, even on our date nights :happy: Or you can do an extra work out during the day before your date.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    whatever resturant you are going to probably has nutrition guide online. I always look up what I'm getting before I go. Hubby likes it cause I'm now the 1st one to order. :)
  • KellyC115
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to look at those menu options. I like the idea of ordering whatever and only eating half!
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I order chicken or shrimp because I like them. I ask for "special" preparation (i.e. grilled, broiled, no butter, lemon only, whatever) if it's not on the menu. Add a salad (dressing on the side, etc, maybe steamed veges? Just depends upon what you like & what it's "worth" to you :-))
    Like another person posted, I frequently now take home half.
    Have fun!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to look at those menu options. I like the idea of ordering whatever and only eating half!
    It works for me Every week.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Salad without dressing, soup or chicken with vegetables is what I usually get unless its a free day
  • HarlequinnAsh
    Options
    If youre doing a fancy nice night out then try not to dwell on the meal too much, it will ruin it otherwise. Make sure you eat a small lunch or meal before you go out so you're not starving and tempted to overeat but also keep it light so if you want a few bites of a dessert you wont feel so guilty. If you like appetizers split one with hubby, dont order any pasta or rice sides or main dishes. Stay away from heavily sauced dishes like chicken franchaise or marsala. If you want an entree to yourself go for a smoked salmon, to share try a high protein like steak. Choose steamed veggies for a side, skip salt and butter on top of anything and if you really want a dessert split it with hubby and take any additional home. Ive gone to Outback steakhouse, had an appetizer my steak with side, a salad and a drink on top and stayed just under 650 calories. its doable so long as you dont over eat.
  • KellyC115
    Options
    I order chicken or shrimp because I like them. I ask for "special" preparation (i.e. grilled, broiled, no butter, lemon only, whatever) if it's not on the menu. Add a salad (dressing on the side, etc, maybe steamed veges? Just depends upon what you like & what it's "worth" to you :-))
    Like another person posted, I frequently now take home half.
    Have fun!

Has you ever had difficulty getting it specially prepared? I
  • joymechelle99
    joymechelle99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    applebees has the under 550calorie menu, and most restaurants i look at nutritional facts online and decide what to eat before we go,,,and one tip of advice stay away from the free heavy carbs they usually give you to munch on before your meal comes such as bread...ugh thats what usually gets me.
  • KellyC115
    Options
    If youre doing a fancy nice night out then try not to dwell on the meal too much, it will ruin it otherwise. Make sure you eat a small lunch or meal before you go out so you're not starving and tempted to overeat but also keep it light so if you want a few bites of a dessert you wont feel so guilty. If you like appetizers split one with hubby, dont order any pasta or rice sides or main dishes. Stay away from heavily sauced dishes like chicken franchaise or marsala. If you want an entree to yourself go for a smoked salmon, to share try a high protein like steak. Choose steamed veggies for a side, skip salt and butter on top of anything and if you really want a dessert split it with hubby and take any additional home. Ive gone to Outback steakhouse, had an appetizer my steak with side, a salad and a drink on top and stayed just under 650 calories. its doable so long as you dont over eat.

Thank you! My husband mentioned going to Outback. I'm going to look at their menu. Louisville has some awesome upscale restaurants but I think I'd rather stay away from them since a lot of dishes do have heavily sauces dishes with more butter than I'd care to know about!
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    order steak or chicken or seafood... with a side of veggies.. avoid bread and dessert
  • unapologeticallyemma
    unapologeticallyemma Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    avoid any and all things with the words creamy and fried
  • Nath07
    Nath07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Order whatever you like - log it and move on to the next day.

Most important thing is to enjoy your night together!! :)
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I either do the half take home. I ask for a to go box, when I order. I then take 1/2 my meal and put it in the box. Then I can enjoy me meal. I have also ordered just half. Apple Bees has this option with salads. When we go to a steak house, hubby orders a steak with salad, and steamed veggies. I order a side salad, and sweet potato. He then share a bit of his steak with me. If we order an appitizer we only get one and share, the same goes for dessert. We each get a slice of bread with a bit of butter, if its offered. Then it goes in the to take home box. Makes great steak sandwiches the next day. lol

Applebees has a menu with 550 and under.

You know what you like to eat, order that, bring home half and enjoy. Or Share. Ok Im going in circles. You have the right idea. Enjoy your dinner date.
  • KellyC115
    Options
    Thank you everyone, this was my first post on MFP.
    Since we only go on 4 to 5 dates per year ( I know it's not a lot) but we have 4 children, so I want to enjoy it! In the last 3 weeks I have changed my eating habits and honestly don't feel deprived at home since I'm cooking and know what goes into my meals. Eating out is completely different - too many hidden calories that I NEVER gave a second thought to in the past because I didn't care how I ate. Searching through menus made me realize i was probably eating 1500 calories or more when we went out to dinner....yikes! Your advice has been well taken!
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's just one meal, so order what you want and enjoy yourself. You're not going to undo all of your hard work with one meal, no matter how many calories, so have a good time and carry on the next day.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

This is fantastic advice!!! To eat beforehand, that's awesome!

Man I remember when I went to Saltgrass Steakhouse, I'd get a 6oz steak with mushrooms, mashed potatoes, AND THEN a piece of chocolate cake afterwards! Still the best meal on the planet. Easily 4 million calories.

Just have fun and remember to look it up beforehand! I never eat out unless I google the menu. ;)