anybody with IBS?

Options

Replies

• newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    If you have IBS, you don't have to suffer anymore. I use to have it and it was terrible. Then I found out all you have to do is eat carrots and drink carrot juice. In about a week, you will be feeling pretty good. If you really want to fix your bowels add some good probiotics to this regemin.

Hope this helps.

thats great that it works for you but relief may be different for everyone... Carrots are one of my triggers. even the small amount that is in Mrs. Dash puts me out of commission for 2 days!
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hate it sometimes because people don't understand this condition and it is very embarrassing at times!

totally know what you mean, i get embarrassed a lot about it. and then that makes it worse!

You've just got to beat the embarrassment with humor. I've got a code word: if my friends or coworkers wonder why I am late, suddenly unavailable, etc., I say I had a "bathroom emergency". I came up with that one after growing tired of the raised eyebrows and endless half-joking "are you pregnant?" queries about my frequent morning... sickness.
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    I hate it sometimes because people don't understand this condition and it is very embarrassing at times!

totally know what you mean, i get embarrassed a lot about it. and then that makes it worse!

You've just got to beat the embarrassment with humor. I've got a code word: if my friends or coworkers wonder why I am late, suddenly unavailable, etc., I say I had a "bathroom emergency". I came up with that one after growing tired of the raised eyebrows and endless half-joking "are you pregnant?" queries about my frequent morning... sickness.

yeah i ended up telling my coworkers too! but it gets embarrassing when you're meeting people or at a friends house, and there it strikes!
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If I remember well I had the symptoms since I quitted smoking. After quitting smoking some issues where emerged and I began increasing dietary fibres in my diet, especially dried plums, which I loved.
    2 months ago, I had to go to a doctor because of a food poisoning and there I was diagnosed (except food poisoning) with a rising duodenal ulcer and IBS.
    The doctor hasn't asked me to watch out my diet, and I'm still on medication until I complete a 3 month treatment. Only the first 10 days I was asked to cut the diary products and fresh fruits but this was because of the food poisoning by ice-cream.
    Recently I found out that I will never eat again dried plums! They are far the only trigger of my awful symptoms. As for the pain, before taking medication, made me wake up in the middle of the night because it was insufferable. Now I have only some small cramps, completely tolerable. I'm wondering what it will happen when I complete my treatment.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    really? i find fruits and vegetables the worst. carbs make me feel better usually. are you maybe celiac?

nope i can have gluten loaded things and not a single problem, but a slice of bread will send me running to the bathroom with severe "IBS" symptoms and results followed by a "flu" feeling for about 24 hours. We've narrowed it down to yeast found in baked products, I have a test for it next week to confirm. in the past 3 months, my usual triggers including fats, dairy, have been not a trouble to me.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Any of y'all who would like to friend me are welcome to. It sounds like most of you are IBS-D sufferers? I'm IBS-C (I know I saw at least one who sounded like it, too).

What meds have y'all tried, and are they specific to IBS-D? I tried a bowel-relaxant, but I can't remember what it's called. The side effects were as bad as the symptom it was meant to relieve, so I couldn't stay on it. I take large doses of Fiber Gummies (cause me less cramping than other fiber brands I've tried), and drink water like it's going out of style.
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    Any of y'all who would like to friend me are welcome to. It sounds like most of you are IBS-D sufferers? I'm IBS-C (I know I saw at least one who sounded like it, too).

What meds have y'all tried, and are they specific to IBS-D? I tried a bowel-relaxant, but I can't remember what it's called. The side effects were as bad as the symptom it was meant to relieve, so I couldn't stay on it. I take large doses of Fiber Gummies (cause me less cramping than other fiber brands I've tried), and drink water like it's going out of style.

i concur it sounds like most of you have IBD which is inflammatory bowel disease which is a lot more serious than IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) as it can lead to Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.
  • Athena98501
    Options

i concur it sounds like most of you have IBD which is inflammatory bowel disease which is a lot more serious than IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) as it can lead to Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.

That's possible too, but that wasn't actually what I meant. IBS-D is how people refer to diarrhea-predominant IBS. IBS-C is constipation-predominant. People with IBS-C can experience both issues, but experience severe constipation more often than not.
  • kristineevans
    kristineevans Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi there I have ibs-c it's horrible, I get dreadfully bloated and then in turn it leads to awful wind SO embarrassing have only been diagnosed a few months and have been prescribed mebeveline which definitely is helping with the bloating but still get constipated even with enough fibre !
  • gotchakatja
    gotchakatja Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I dooo. It started out pretty serious. Before they diagnosed me. I started not being able to eat without feeling incredibly nauseous. I couldn't even stomach the smell of food, so I basically stopped eating. It wasn't pretty. It then evolved into just having to go to the bathroom a lot. After tons of tests, they diagnosed me with IBS. And I started taking medicine for it, but I've been weaned off of them and I've been doing pretty well without it.

It generally only kicks in now whenever I get super stressed out or eat junk food.
  • Athena98501
    Options
    Hi there I have ibs-c it's horrible, I get dreadfully bloated and then in turn it leads to awful wind SO embarrassing have only been diagnosed a few months and have been prescribed mebeveline which definitely is helping with the bloating but still get constipated even with enough fibre !

I experience bloating too, but it feels like the norm now. The worst thing for me is the cramping. It ranges from a dull ache, to feeling like my intestines are twisting like a towel being wrung out. That was what the bowel-relaxant was meant to help, sucks that I couldn't tolerate it. I don't have it that bad every day, but when I do, I'm stuck applying a heating pad or cold pack.
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    I have IBD and IBS, so I kmow exactly what you ladies are feeling! I always have to watch what I eat. I find banana has reacted really badly with me lately.
  • Athena98501
    Options
    I have IBD and IBS, so I kmow exactly what you ladies are feeling! I always have to watch what I eat. I find banana has reacted really badly with me lately.

My husband has IBS-D and can't eat bananas at all. When he has in the past, he would be doubled-over for hours. That's the only food that does that to him.
  • InfiniteEcho
    InfiniteEcho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS-D way back when I was pregnant with my son (17+ years ago). What I didn't realize was that there is an IBS-D and and IBS-C. Just two days ago I was diagnosed with IBS-C. I'm still coming to grips with it after numerous hospital visits, procedures, testing, biopsies and countless doctors. I was completely oblivious to IBS-C until my waistline went from a 29-37 basically overnight. The pain was just excruciating and this went on for about a month+. My new Gastro doc nailed it...my body is revolting with the immense amount of stress I am under working non-stop. Really?!? Now each day is a surprise not knowing what sort of day it will be....D or a C. Knowing how intense IBS-C is I would give anything just to have my old IBS-D back any day. I've lived with it so long I've just dealt with it. IBS-C has a whole new set of rules that I need to adapt to. Stress has always been my trigger for IBS-D but now it appears it is the same for IBS-C! I'm still sorting out how to reduce/eliminate the stress to lead a somewhat normal life....definitely a work in progress.
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. :( Sucks. I have IBS-A.
  • babysimi
    babysimi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi im new on here....i found my trigger for IBS is stress :(
    but because i dont get it so often now, i can take co-codimol and it helps to ease it x
  • Ashiaa
    Ashiaa Posts: 3
    Options
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago and have had it logner than I can remember. I cannot eat EGGs!! they are my worst and any kind of pasta, Wheat or White bread. Milk drives me a bit nuts in the morning as well. I try to stick to salad, fish and chicken. Boring but it helps. Its a nightmare at work and I hate it when my tummy blows up.. I look like im about to drop a baby! :(

Stress is a killer too.. nightmare!

I had a ceileac test but am not a one, Just a diet controlled IBS patient.

But its nice to know I am not alone out there. Keep going guys we will lose them pounds. x

Vicky from London
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Have had IBS for 14 years, came with onset of fibromyalgia. If I control stress and eat a high-fiber diet, I don't have symptoms. But add some stress and then I'm lactose intolerant. I take fiber gummies for prevention along with at least 25 mg fiber per day in food. Have lactase tabs when needed, but sometimes the IBS hits me before I realize it. Then I use a combo of OTC Imodium for the diarrhea and prescription Levsin (hyoscyamine) for the cramping. I do get dry mouth and a little drowsy from the latter but since I'm in bed holding a heating pad to my stomach it really doesn't matter!
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This is one stinky thread..lol!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I suffer from IBS. My mum too. For years, I thought it was food poisoning or something. But I finally figured out trigger foods ... wheat, commerical milk and some overly sugary foods. Now I try to control it. And recently, throu tests and doctors found out it could be side effect to my PCOS.