Cardio before weight training?

Options
MelStren
MelStren Posts: 457 Member
I read in a thread here that Cardio should be done before Curcuit/weight training if you are doing them both on the same day?
I work out 3 days a week. 60min of walking (3mph) then 60 to 75min of curcuit training. Would get better results if I changed the order of my workout? I want to build muscle mass but I'm still carrying about 20lbs of padding. I'm female. 44yrs old.

Replies

• kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym a few weeks ago and the trainer there told me stretch, warm up for 5 minutes on the treadmill, strength training, then cardio.
  • Linda345
    Linda345 Posts: 11
    Options
    Cardio seems to work for a good warmup for me before weight training.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    If spread throughout the day, it doesn't matter.

If literally doing them during the same workout (like one immediately after the other), my trainer and NRLW both say to do weights first, cardio last.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Warm up then weight training first with the goals you've outlined
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you are just going to toss around light weight, by all means, go ahead.
    if you are looking to build the most strength in the least amount of time, and are really pushing yourself, then you know that anything more than a short/light walk is going to hurt your progress

The way to warm up for weights is b y doing weights.

For example, if you are going to squat 200lbs, you would do something like
    45x5
    85x4
    105x3
    130x2
    160x1
    (work set)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I always Cardio then weight train.

Weight training is a waste of time for weight loss anyway
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Brief cardio (5 minutes tops), weight training, heavy cardio...then stretch. You never stretch at the beginning when muscles are cold!!!!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you are just going to toss around light weight, by all means, go ahead.
    if you are looking to build the most strength in the least amount of time, and are really pushing yourself, then you know that anything more than a short/light walk is going to hurt your progress

True--and circuit training is often just an extended cardio workout (weights aren't heavy enough to build muscle and the point is to go quickly from machine to machine getting your heart rate up--cardio).Take a short, brisk walk to get warmed up for strength training then do more cardio afterwards. If you're doing strength training correctly, you shouldn't have the energy to do much cardio after a 60-75 min strength training session.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

not sure if trolling, or srs.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was told to cut my cardio down when I was building muscle to 2x week. Also, cardio after (20 min max of slight jog etc) as you want the most strength/energy kept for weight training.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always do a quick mile on the treadmill before hitting the weights. Helps loosen things up for me.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options

He's just telling the truth.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    cardio last. always.

typically, save your bulk energy for the weightroom.

check this out... from http://www.builtlean.com/2011/11/07/cardio-before-or-after-weights/

Here are 7 reasons why you should consider doing cardio after weights:

Cardio After Weights Reason #1) Increased Energy For Lifting Weights

During exercise, the body uses stored energy in our muscles called glycogen. If glycogen levels are low, it affects our energy levels for workouts. For example, if you’ve ever gone on a low carb diet and experienced less energy during workouts, then you know what it feels like to have low glycogen levels. The same phenomenon happens if you do cardio before strength training – you use up your body’s preferred energy source for intense exercise. If you use up that energy, it won’t be available when you need to lift heavy weights, making a goal of building muscle, increasing strength, or maximizing calorie burn through weight lifting compromised.

Cardio After Weights Reason #2) Favorable Changes in Blood PH

Completing cardio can make your blood more acidic. As you exercise, energy gets broken down and utilized to make lactic acid. Although lactic acid helps to replenish your fuel sources for continued exercise, it does so by creating excessive hydrogen ions. These hydrogen ions need to be buffered, which your body handles at an ineffective rate, lowering your pH (which makes your blood plasma more acidic). This acidic environment causes muscular fatigue and performance drops. So besides using the energy you need for heavy resistance training, doing cardio first also makes it harder for you to contract the muscles.

Cardio After Weights Reason #3) Favorable Hormonal Changes

By completing cardio first, cortisol is released without a concurrent increase in testosterone. Cortisol breaks down muscle in order to give your body the continued energy to workout. This works fine when doing cardiovascular exercises and happens extensively in long duration cardio (think marathons), but is detrimental to building muscle if there’s not a concurrent increase in testosterone. For example, when you’re strength training, cortisol levels will go up but so will testosterone levels. This hormonal shift not only allows you to have energy for the workout, but also helps to rebuild muscle after the session. Without these changes in hormonal profiles, it becomes much harder to gain muscle.

Cardio After Weights Reason #4) Clear mTOR Pathways

Another nail in the coffin for doing cardio before strength training is the inhibition of the mTOR pathways. Many people have not heard of the mTOR pathway, but in essence, this is the pathway that tells your muscles to grow. In fact, one of the biggest genetic differences between those that gain muscle easily and those that really struggle to gain muscle size is due to the differences of expression for the mTOR pathway. In other words, “genetic freaks” have easy access to this pathway, whereas “hardgainers” don’t. When you do cardio with strength training and especially before strength training, this muscle building pathway becomes inhibited, making an already difficult situation that much harder.

Cardio After Weights Reason #5) Greater Afterburn Effect

The workout that causes the largest afterburn effect will be the most effective for fat loss because you will
    not only burn calories during your workout, but also for up to 48 hours afterwards. While the research is inconclusive (some studies show the afterburn effect to be greater with cardio before weights), an intense metabolic resistance training workout can create a very large afterburn effect and increase your cardiovascular health. A traditional bodybuilding workout on the other hand will not create a very significant afterburn effect so in that case, cardio before lifting may make sense from a fat loss perspective.

Cardio After Weights Reason #6) Exercise Feels Harder Doing Cardio First

The “perceived exertion” rates (how hard exercise feels) is higher when you do cardio before strength training – even if the results you get from both routines are the same. This simply means that if you do the same routine, but do cardio first, it will feel much harder then if you did the same exact workout by doing the strength portion first. In other words, all of those reasons listed above truly do make your workouts feel harder. The sad part is that this method is not more effective for fat loss or muscle gain than if you simply did the strength first.

Cardio After Weights Reason #7) Less Risk of Injury Due to Fatigue

If you try maxing out on squats after an intense cardio session, you may be mentally and physically fatigued, which increases the chance of injury. Besides needing the mental fortitude to put a heavy weight on your back after cardio, you will also need the help of a number of smaller “assistance muscles” to help with the movement. These may have become fatigued from the cardio beforehand. By tiring these stabilizer and assistance muscles before performing heavy strength training, you risk the chance of completing an exercise incorrectly or with improper form.

Why Not Combine Cardio and Weights?

If you’re truly pressed for time, you can combine strength and cardio movements. An example would be to complete two strength training exercises – think lunges and cable rows – followed by bike sprints for 30 seconds. By combining the strength and cardio portion, you are satisfying the need to create damage to the muscle, keep your heart rate high throughout the session and have more spikes to your heart rate creating a greater oxygen debt.

The Wrap Up

While there are several benefits for lifting weights before cardio, at the end of the day, the best fat loss plan is the one you will stick to and that continues to produce results. If you enjoy completing cardio first, then by all means go for it! I would caution using the “weights after cardio” approach, however, if your main goal is building muscle.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options

ha, you're funny.
  • ipock
    ipock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio after weights. I'm usually dead tired by the end of a long run, and don't have the energy to lift heavy weights.
  • jealous_loser
    Options

Depends on how you want to look at it. Do you want to look better fully clothed? Or naked?
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options

you can weightlift and lose weight!! as you are after all reducing fat cells!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it depends on which one you want most focus on. As both cardio and weights tire you out doing the one you want most focus on first makes sense.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio after weights. I'm usually dead tired by the end of a long run, and don't have the energy to lift heavy weights.

^^this

I've always heard if doing all together in one workout session to do weights first. Cardio tires me out and form could suffer if done afterwards.

If I space out throughout the day it doesn't matter.
  • bigaggie06
    bigaggie06 Posts: 10
    Options
    Brief cardio (5 minutes tops), weight training, heavy cardio

This is what I do. It works fairly well for me except between travel, illness, vacation I haven't been in the gym for a month now ... :(