Regarding these "plus size models" that kill my esteem..

Options

Replies

• kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    You all are so so inspiring and helpful..I guess I'll just keep on trucking. My goal is to be in single digit pant sizes..but I guess I have to learn to stop comparing
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I just want to take a moment and point out something that hit me hard last night. I am in a hotel and you know how they have giant mirrors to make sure you can see everything that might be wrong with me.

At my maximum weight of 425 lbs, I had NO ROLLS. Honestly, I think I LOOKED more in shape than I LOOK now. It isn't true of course...Looks can be deceiving......I looked last night and I have sags and a small roll, stretch marks that didn't show up when I was at max density. And I jiggle.

My brother has never had the weight issues I have had. I am glad. But he gets "fat" and still fits in his clothes and looks good. I know a woman that is a size 14 jeans, but you would swear she was a 6 simply because of how her genes fit in her jeans. Genetics determines a lot, you can only work with what you were given.

Stop looking at other people, because no matter how good you look, you will always find someone YOU think looks better than you do no matter what your fitness level.

When you are sad, stop being sad and be awesome.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I found that I felt better when I stopped comparing myself to everyone else. I'm 5'4" and around 145-150lbs. I used to find myself getting pretty depressed when I would see women on this site who were starting at 150lbs because they looked "fat" and "horrible". What the heck? I was happy as heck to be 150lbs and these women think they look horrible at that weight? What must they think of me - having it be my GOAL weight?

Then one day I woke up and realized that I didn't care what anyone else wanted to do. I didn't care what their goal weight was - all I cared about was the fact that *I* had achieved my goal and have been maintaining it for almost 2 years. Some people may think I'm chubby or even fat, but I don't care. *I* like what I see in the mirror.

Focus on loving you and forget what everyone else is doing.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have always had an issue comparing myself to other people..I guess I'm just worried that I don't see a difference under my clothes despite I've lost 50lbs..

*Edit: You can input your height. I'm 5'4*

you want an eye opener? put fifty pounds in a backpack and carry it around for an hour. fifty pounds lost is AWESOME. hang in there
    100% this!
  • Logsv
    Logsv Posts: 36
    Options
    I found that I felt better when I stopped comparing myself to everyone else. I'm 5'4" and around 145-150lbs. I used to find myself getting pretty depressed when I would see women on this site who were starting at 150lbs because they looked "fat" and "horrible". What the heck? I was happy as heck to be 150lbs and these women think they look horrible at that weight? What must they think of me - having it be my GOAL weight?

Then one day I woke up and realized that I didn't care what anyone else wanted to do. I didn't care what their goal weight was - all I cared about was the fact that *I* had achieved my goal and have been maintaining it for almost 2 years. Some people may think I'm chubby or even fat, but I don't care. *I* like what I see in the mirror.

Excellent point! Couldn't have said it better myself :)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I will never understand this obsession some people have with the size of clothes. Women actually have a size zero? That is whack.

I would suggest you quit comparing yourself to others. If you feel good and like the way you look, how on earth does the size number mean anything. Once you let go of this idea that a number matters, you will not only have more enjoyment but less stress.

good luck

that IS whack! LOL i don't aim to be a size zero ever... not that there's anything wrong with it if that's someone's size. my hips are too wide for that. haha i will probably never be smaller than about a size 8 or so and i'm totally fine with that.

i had to learn over time not to compare myself to others. sometimes it's still a struggle especially when i have a friend dieting unhealthily (she hardly eats anything other than maybe coffee and energy drinks and junk and then hops on the treadmill and runs for miles) and just a couple of weeks ago she weighed more than me and was larger and now she weighs 10lbs less than me and looks smaller than i am. i just have to keep reminding myself that our bodies are completely different shapes. i have a definite "pear" shape while she doesn't curve much from her hips to waist. she was naturally tiny as a teenager while i have always been curvier/lumpier. :wink: i have rolls and i'm 23lbs away from my goal weight. embrace your body and love it for what it is. work on improving and being the best YOU.. don't worry about everyone else. i tell myself that every day. :smile:
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    As it's been said Photoshop. It's the best for making us non models feel like crap. It's human nature to have a few lumps and bumps (Just need to see a celeb magazine and see even they have flaws when they are spotted on the beach) You have got into a great dress size and should be feeling proud of yourself, don't compare yourself to overly brushed pictures of others. You are doing great!
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It is photoshop, honey. Don't compare yourself to some digital image of a chick that has more than likely been retouched. You are doing an awesome job. Compare yourself to... yourself. Take before and after pictures.
    I've lost 40-some pounds and am between a size 6 and 8... it's SHOCKING to me that I am this small... And while my rolls are gone I still have the dimpley butt and giant thighs and... whatever... you know... it's not that it doesn't bother me... it does... but I am working my *kitten* off and have come so far and some days i think i look amazing and other days well... not so much.
    Keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you are eating enough to fuel muscle-building and getting enough protein. I think a lot of people under eat and lose muscle mass. But it sounds like you are doing great so keep it up and keep your chin up. :)
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I see pictures of women on magazine covers who are so proud of their weight loss, they look great.... they weigh what I do, and *I* don't look like that! It's frustrating. I was told by a trainer "Hey, if you're a size 6, what are you worried about, you're fine." But how does a size 6 still have a potbelly and a fat jiggly bum and calves that are too fat for a nice pair of tall boots? Something's WRONG there!

It's frustrating and discouraging and I understand. I tell myself that if I quit, it won't *ever* get better, so just don't quit and maybe eventually I'll get there. Hang in there! The well-toned women at the gym didn't start yesterday or even last year, they've been doing this for years, so I know I have a ways to go before I can claim that; just gotta not quit.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And the people on the My Body Gallery website (they are actually real people), how is it that at the same size I am, they have no rolls or fat anywhere? I don't even understand. I'm finally a size 14 in some clothes and when I compare my picture to theirs, I have fat all over. Now, I know you shouldn't compare, but where are their rolls at? Even the people on that My Body Gallery site, they look flawless. It worries me that when I'm smaller than I am, I won't look any different because what I still have isn't skin, it's fat. I don't get it ): Am I going to look like a size 20 when I'm a size 8? I do strength training and cardio. I alternate kickboxing and 30DS. When will I start to see the fat disappear? /: I know it takes time, but when the clothes come off, I still see the same fatty that I saw 3 sizes and about 50lbs ago. I heard that the smaller you get, the less it takes to see a difference, but when will I look firm and flat? What am I do wrong? I eat at a 1250 deficit, cardio and strength..why do I look so fat? When will I just have NATURAL curves instead of fat curves? I hate this so much. What can I do or what am I not doing right?

Most "plus-sized models" are sizes 6-10, not 14 so they are not the same size you are and you shouldn't compare. Also, even if they were, models are first the most genetically blessed among us, so they choose women who are larger, but may not have rolls. And then they airbrush them.

As for My Body Gallery, well, people have delusions about their own bodies. There was a super skinny, very straight-up-and-down woman on there claiming to be size 8 (I suppose it's possible) and to be an hourglass. She was a ruler, not an hourglass.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I honestly find the opposite to be true. I inputed for my goal weight and I honestly think those chicks are lying about their weight. It actually has me worried that I still won't be happy at my goal weight.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Couldn't have put it better! :)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options

yes yes yes! in all honesty, i am 183-185lbs (i've been hovering there) and i feel fantastic. i read from others... "i was so fat and awful looking when i started at 185lbs" and i'm like... wow, well that sucks. LOL i don't feel horrible or fat and awful at this weight to be honest. i feel amazing and confident! i'm a size 10/12 (10s are sometimes too small in the thighs for me though). it took me a long time to love my body but i do. yes, i still want and need to lose weight, but i do love the way i look right now most days. :)
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am right there with ya! 55-60 pounds gone and I feel like my body still looks the same (with the rolls and folds) but it is a much smaller size. I am 5'7" 155ish pounds but still have the muffin top. When I get really frustrated at the mirror I run up and down the stairs a couple of times to remind myself that I am much healthier and can BREATH! HA! And yes, I know it is sad, but sometimes I just sit and look at the tag in the back of my jeans that says (Size 8) and I smile. It is all worth it, the rolls of extra skin and flab are slowly starting to shrink, but I know because of my genetics, many years of abusing my body and my age I will never have the flat six pack abs of the super model, but it sure beats where I was two years ago!
    Don't be so hard on yourself-like someone else said, carry around 50 pounds for an hour and you will realize how much you have lost!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I guess I have come a long way since January and I'm gonna have to keep doing what I'm doing if I want to accomplish my goals and reach them. I'll try and be the best Kassie I can be
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    How's your eating habits? Are you eating to reduce body fat or are you eating based only on total calories? Im 172 lbs and Im a size 7/small. I dont have rolls when I stand in front of the mirror, even at this enormous weight, because most of my weight is lean mass now. If most of your weight is fat, as opposed to lean mass - then youre going to have rolls of fat instead of muscles below a nice even healthy layer of skin and necessary fat.

If your strength training is anything involving sets of more than 10-12 reps, then you should be lifting heavier. You dont want to be so good at what you do for exercise that it doesnt leave you sore. You adjust faster to exercise than you realise and you have to keep leveling up. Im not talking about- your skills shouldnt improve - i mean you should constantly challenge the skills that you're developing. Lift heavier, go faster, master body weight exercises, etc.

Also, just as a side note, I know many women see "plus sized models" and think ZOMG she is NOT plus size! But its not "plus" like the "plus size" section you see in stores. Its plus meaning "sample size plus", or sample plus 2, sample plus 4, etc :)

Dont lose hope, challenges are the best part of this game. its all about leveling up :D:D:D
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

yes yes yes! in all honesty, i am 183-185lbs (i've been hovering there) and i feel fantastic. i read from others... "i was so fat and awful looking when i started at 185lbs" and i'm like... wow, well that sucks. LOL i don't feel horrible or fat and awful at this weight to be honest. i feel amazing and confident! i'm a size 10/12 (10s are sometimes too small in the thighs for me though). it took me a long time to love my body but i do. yes, i still want and need to lose weight, but i do love the way i look right now most days. :)

I'm in the 180s, 5'5-ish, and a size 16-18, more on the 18 side. Which shows the scale isn't the ultimate telltale of attractiveness and fitness. I have small bones, so I'm carrying way more fat than a larger boned or taller person at this weight. I've seen pictures of 180 pound women in bikinis on this site that make me boggle and go, no way, I will never look that good in a bikini, even when I weigh 120 pounds! It's all where it's carried and how much of it is fat as opposed to bone and muscle that matters.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1, wear a size 12 shoe, and even when I was a lot thinner than I am now I always had a big frame. I will never be a skinny minny and my dream size is a 12. The way you look has a lot to do with your genes. Clothes have a lot to do with how they are cut. A size 14 Gap might be a size 12 Macy's. just stuff to keep in mind.

EDIT: My point is that some of us aren't meant to be model skinny. Some people are meant to be a bit more curvy than others.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I don't under the bone concept. How do I know what type of bones I have? I'm short..
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everything but also remember a size 14, 12 or 18 can be somewhat subjective. I'm a size 10 in one brand of pants but a size 6 in another brand. I'm a medium in some dresses but a large in others. Who knows what "standards" they're going by!

Be kind to yourself, you're doing amazing!