i think i just need a nutrionist - feel defeated

Options
2»

Replies

• mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Going to see a registered dietitian is a great idea! There are so many different approaches to weight loss and nutrition out there that it gets a little confusing. An accredited professional would be a big help to get things going in the right direction. You are not admitting defeat so much as discovering that weight management is hard work and perhaps a little more complicated than we like to admit. Good luck with reaching your health and fitness goals :happy:
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you seem to be doing fairly well. As others have mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to add more fresh foods (think outside aisles in the grocery store), but really, your numbers seem to be fairly good.

I'd say keep it up as you're going (maybe add some veggies) and you're very likely to see results (as you said, you're losing inches - pounds will follow).

(I can understand the frustration of the scale not moving though-but sometimes it takes time)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Wooooooo, this is cool!!
    Do you have a hyvee grocery store near you - most of them have Registered dietitians, free of charge!
  • mskimber99
    mskimber99 Posts: 30
    Options
    my heaviest meal is dinner - because if i eat what ppl consider a "normal lunch", sandwich, or something from a local restaurant by my job, i will have absolutely no appetite for dinner....weekends are the hardest for me.. i have to make myself eat - i can have 1 meal a day and feel fine.

i was bringing grapes,watermelon, carrots, a few crackers for lunch and then i see my sugars go up and i freak. i even started drinking my tea without sugar.

so i will take the great advice on here...make my sugar go away.

try very hard to choke down some breakfast.

eat more veggies/fruit and whole grains

thank you
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your profile and diary and it doesn't look so bad to me overall... You're losing about a pound a week which isn't bad ( I'm aiming for 1-3lbs a week). I do see a high number of days that you were well under your calorie goal, coupled with your exercise routine and your age group you metabolism is like a bit slow (you already seem to be addressing the calorie deficit but it will take some time for your body to re-adjust). I'm bad for skipping meals myself, especially in the summer (my appetite tends to die in the heat) but I force myself to eat breakfast and use the lunch as my skip. I think this starts up you metabolism earlier in the day and helps you burn those calories faster(I'm no expert mind you). Also if you're exercising hard enough (you are losing inches) you may be gaining muscle which is denser than the fat its replacing(again no expert but it seems to fit). I would try to go more for fresh and no processed foods and add the fiber column to your diary. Fiber regulates a lot of aspects of digestion and helps to aid weight loss.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Wooooooo, this is cool!!
    Do you have a hyvee grocery store near you - most of them have Registered dietitians, free of charge!

i know! I thought the same thing!! I see a nutritionist and it's covered by our insurance since my husband is military and i go to the one on post, but when he was a civilian i wish we had that around! it would have helped out so much when i first started out!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is easy, but it requires patience and dedication. There's some great advice on mfp, but there's also a lot of quackery.

In general - based on your diary - you seem to be doing OK. I do agree that you should improve the composition of your diet a bit. More fruits and veggies, especially veggies. More home cooked meals. Chicken and fish are winners, and can be prepared in bulk to be eaten later (especially chicken).

You need to get a digital scale (they're cheap) and weigh everything. You also need to be sure you include everything in your diary. Don't forget that tablespoon of virgin olive oil, or the melted butter, etc. These calories add up.

If you're going to eat more, make sure you exercise those additional calories off, so the net result is lower net calorie intake.

Look for NSV's in the beginning. Measure yourself really well. Any improvements should be highly motivational. Take whatever you can get!

If you can afford a nutritionist, great. But my guess is the quality varies tremendously. So caveat emptor.

--P
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I did 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Two months of my life, not a pound lost. But I lost six inches off my waist. Not long after I finished Ripped things kind of shifting, and I started actually dropping pounds. Inches are good - those are pants sizes! Be thrilled! It will shift eventually - you can only lose so many inches before the pounds start coming off, too!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Some things I eat:

Fish(cod, steelhead, salmon, talapia)
    Pork
    chicken
    salads
    green giant frozen(in the little boxes)vegies
    Jasmine Rice
    Yukon Gold Potatos
    protein smoothees
    bacon
    eggs
    soy milk(vanilla)
    yogurt with 5 live cultures
    strawberrys, blueberries, rasberries, cranberry juice and pomegranite
    walnuts, peanuts in shells(unsalted)
    string cheese
    Nabisco multi grain crackers
    Ak mak crackers
    Laughing Cow Cream cheese triangles
    oatmeal w/br sugar and raisins(home made)
    Stevia(w/tea or coffee)
    Avocados
    Franz Multi grain and Sweet Dark breads(just 2 of my faves)
    WATER, :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

This is only the short list but basically my menus consist of these. I need more variety for sure but wanted to give you an idea as to what you can eat and still lose weight. I'm learning more everyday that losing fat is not about cutting calories, it's about eating more calories of healthy foods to fuel our bodies to burn up the fat.

denise PS I also use olive oil often and I do use spray butter(I can't believe it's butter) Oh, and I almost forgot Peanut Butter, Adams Crunchy!!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh excellent, the digital scale I bought is like my best friend!! Thanks for bringing that up!! Denise
    Losing weight is easy, but it requires patience and dedication. There's some great advice on mfp, but there's also a lot of quackery.

In general - based on your diary - you seem to be doing OK. I do agree that you should improve the composition of your diet a bit. More fruits and veggies, especially veggies. More home cooked meals. Chicken and fish are winners, and can be prepared in bulk to be eaten later (especially chicken).

You need to get a digital scale (they're cheap) and weigh everything. You also need to be sure you include everything in your diary. Don't forget that tablespoon of virgin olive oil, or the melted butter, etc. These calories add up.

If you're going to eat more, make sure you exercise those additional calories off, so the net result is lower net calorie intake.

Look for NSV's in the beginning. Measure yourself really well. Any improvements should be highly motivational. Take whatever you can get!

If you can afford a nutritionist, great. But my guess is the quality varies tremendously. So caveat emptor.

--P
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I don't know what the shred is but this is awesome dedication and pure guts!! You didn't sweat that dang scale! I know this is the ticket right here. Build muscle to burn away and keep those fat-stores bankrupt and outa biz, yeeeeeeehaw!!

So proud of you, denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I did 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Two months of my life, not a pound lost. But I lost six inches off my waist. Not long after I finished Ripped things kind of shifting, and I started actually dropping pounds. Inches are good - those are pants sizes! Be thrilled! It will shift eventually - you can only lose so many inches before the pounds start coming off, too!