What am i doing wrong?!

Options
I did flat bench bench presses last night

Did my normal start at 75lbs and tack on 5lbs doing 1 set of 10 reps with each increase up to 150lbs and than do 2 sets of 10 reps at 150lbs.

I do not feel it in my chest. When I press I arch my lower back and pinch my shoulders back and put everything I got into my chest when pressing. However when I'm done I feel it more in my shoulders and biceps feel very little in my chest. I'm not saying I don't feel it in my chest, I just feel it more in my arms and shoulders.

Is it a sign I need to beef up arms and shoulders more to better target my chest? Or am I not doing enough reps, or enough weight? When I do inverted and inclined I feel like I hit the chest more than I do when I do flat back.

Replies

• holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Are you bringing the bar all the way down to your chest? Might try spacing your hands different on the bar as well. You really shouldn't feel it in your biceps but it will hit the triceps
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Put more weight on the bar is what I would guess. Are those last 2 sets hard at all?

Edit: Also, a lot of people say they don't "feel" it in their chest but when you ask them where they feel it they will point to their upper bicep/armpit region. This is where your pectoral muscle insertion is, so they feel the stress there more than like, say, the middle of their chest where they expect to..........
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Put more weight on the bar is what I would guess. Are those last 2 sets hard at all?

Edit: Also, a lot of people say they don't "feel" it in their chest but when you ask them where they feel it they will point to their upper bicep/armpit region. This is where your pectoral muscle insertion is, so they feel the stress there more than like, say, the middle of their chest where they expect to..........

That is exactly where I am feeling it... in the 'armpit' area.

No I do not touch the bar to my chest I was told many times over by trainers that you should only put yours arms to a 90 degree bend and not go beyond that.