Hi

Options
neilcg
neilcg Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to lose about 40 pounds before I go on holiday in April next year (and turn 40!)

I've lost weight before by calorie counting (WW) but am relatively new on here.

I've been tracking for 3 weeks but haven't lost an ounce! I've been under calories on most days and I cycle 18 miles a week.

Any tips/inspiration as I am beginning to lose faith in MFP.

thanks

Neil

Replies

• Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    Great to have you on board. I have one question for you. Do you basically have the same routine everyday? If so that will make you plateau. Change something up. Ride your bike on a different route. Add a different food or leave something out that you normally eat. Any little change will make your body respond in some way. Good luck to you. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Great to have you on board. I have one question for you. Do you basically have the same routine everyday? If so that will make you plateau. Change something up. Ride your bike on a different route. Add a different food or leave something out that you normally eat. Any little change will make your body respond in some way. Good luck to you. Feel free to friend me if you like.

^^This is true!^^
  • neilcg
    neilcg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I do have a bit of a routine and I have been thinking that one significant change might make the difference.

Unfortunately there's not much scope to change my bike route as it's a commute!

I read somewhere that calories are calories so it doesn't matter what makes them up but I'm convinced I'm eating too much sugar and carbs, whilst apparently staying under my calories limit.
  • danblood
    danblood Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If keeping the calories low isn't helping, then your body simply isn't burning them as fast as you need it to.

is your exercise daily?

Find something you can do daily that is additional to anything you'd normally do; break a sweat every day. If you can't do it daily, you're doing too much, but try to work your way up to doing something that makes you sweat for about 40 minutes a day - fitness will come in time; first you need routine.. after that you can challenge yourself; go faster, further, for longer, etc.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Could you open your diary so we can be of more help?

Have you read the threads from the eating more to weigh less group? It tends to be controversial but works well for lots of people.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike as well to work. I really push myself on the way home. Take hills on with more intensity and quicken the pace. If I able not ready to fall off after I am home then I know there was still more in me.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I do have a bit of a routine and I have been thinking that one significant change might make the difference.

Unfortunately there's not much scope to change my bike route as it's a commute!

I read somewhere that calories are calories so it doesn't matter what makes them up but I'm convinced I'm eating too much sugar and carbs, whilst apparently staying under my calories limit.

What kind of sugars and carbs are you eating? Fruits and vegis or doughnuts and bread? These little changes will make a HUGE difference. Things like store bought fruit juices contain a ton of sugar, and not the good kidns either.

Also if you have a multi speed bike, try a harder gear. Or on the way home, jog the bike instead of ride it.