Low Glycemic Sweet Recipes?

Options
Jeanine_Colavecchi
Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
Does anyone have TRUE low glycemic sweet recipes that can crave your sweet tooth? This means whole wheat flours, no sugar or artificial sweetners(no malodextrin, dextrose), preferably whole grain and no processed.

I think I can use unsweetened cocoa powder...not sure. Some suggestions would help!

Replies

• Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    These don't look too bad and meet most of your requests!

http://www.paleofood.com/baked.htm
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would love to have some ideas, too.

Have you tried making ice cream out of frozen bananas and peanut butter? I add some cinnamon and a few chocolate chips on top and it's a nice dessert.

Most of the recipes I have found use some kind of artificial sweetener, which makes it hard because I'm not eating any of those.
  • HerbT51
    HerbT51 Posts: 36
    Options
    Mentioning whole grain flour seems to mean you are thinking pastry to fulfill your sweet-tooth. I find that when I want something sweet some dried figs or apricots (about 20 grams - 1/2 serving) of either satisfies me. The figs tend to stay with me (raise my blood glucose) longer than the apricots do but are tastier to me and are not really dangerously sugar-rich. Two fig newtons have more calories but are a substitute for the figs.
  • HerbT51
    Options

Have you tried making ice cream out of frozen bananas and peanut butter? I add some cinnamon and a few chocolate chips on top and it's a nice dessert.

Most of the recipes I have found use some kind of artificial sweetener, which makes it hard because I'm not eating any of those.

Bananas greatly affect my glucose. I can't have more than 3 or 4 inches (usually 1/3 - 1/2 banana) at a time. A tablespoon or two of peanut butter stays with me for quite a while, too.
  • artica30
    artica30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cool Whip is super low carbs. Or you can make your own with whipping creme and a tiny bit of splenda. Put either on in the freezer and eat a dollop as a treat.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options

Banana's are high glycemic but thats a good idea...i was thinking like cookies and stuff.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    Cool Whip is super low carbs. Or you can make your own with whipping creme and a tiny bit of splenda. Put either on in the freezer and eat a dollop as a treat.

I think cool whip has added sweetners like malodextrin...but making my own would be a good idea, thanks!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    Mentioning whole grain flour seems to mean you are thinking pastry to fulfill your sweet-tooth. I find that when I want something sweet some dried figs or apricots (about 20 grams - 1/2 serving) of either satisfies me. The figs tend to stay with me (raise my blood glucose) longer than the apricots do but are tastier to me and are not really dangerously sugar-rich. Two fig newtons have more calories but are a substitute for the figs.

I'm with you on this! Dried fruit it typically high glycemic too but maybe figs are alright. I was thinking more pastry though you are right. Fig newtons have white flour I think though...or "unbleached wheat flour" which is just as bad as white!
  • HerbT51
    Options
    I'm with you on this! Dried fruit it typically high glycemic too but maybe figs are alright. I was thinking more pastry though you are right. Fig newtons have white flour I think though...or "unbleached wheat flour" which is just as bad as white!

True, fig newtons are made with white flour. The whole grain variety don't taste good - won't satisfy my sweet-tooth. I know each individual is different, and you have to learn what works for you, but I found portion control (2 cookies) works for me. For the most part I prefer eating a little real food rather than more of a "substitute" item.
    Have you tried ice cream in the tiny containers (I think they are 3.5 oz)? They work for me if I have only 1 in the house at a time.
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have TRUE low glycemic sweet recipes that can crave your sweet tooth? This means whole wheat flours, no sugar or artificial sweetners(no malodextrin, dextrose), preferably whole grain and no processed.

I think I can use unsweetened cocoa powder...not sure. Some suggestions would help!

I make my own German chocolate raw brownies. I'm not sure if its low glycemic though. Its 1 part dried cherries, 1 part dates, and 1 part walnuts, 2 TBSP cocoa powder. Blend together in a food processo, press into a pan and sprinkle with coconut flakes. Leave uncovered in fridge then slice when dried a little. They are super yummy. Pretty calorie dense though. I use them for energy bars when I have a long run day or am really active.

Totally unprocessed and really easy.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options

I make my own German chocolate raw brownies. I'm not sure if its low glycemic though. Its 1 part dried cherries, 1 part dates, and 1 part walnuts, 2 TBSP cocoa powder. Blend together in a food processo, press into a pan and sprinkle with coconut flakes. Leave uncovered in fridge then slice when dried a little. They are super yummy. Pretty calorie dense though. I use them for energy bars when I have a long run day or am really active.

Totally unprocessed and really easy.

I could tweak it a litte, but these sound good!