Women Lifting Heavy

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Also, I find it insulting that the simple of idea of women trying to be strong = women getting hurt. Don't want to damage our delicate female bodies.

I dont see where anyone said women wanting to get strong means women getting hurt. Dont be inventing things so you can feel insulted. Life is too short for that attitude.

When Starting out, "lifting heavy" applies to men, women and children. You dont walk into a gym with no experience and just start grunting and groaning with a weight that is too heavy for you. Men can get hurt that way just as easily as women.

that's what her trainer said, unless she invented that
    Well, he said he doesn't do that with women and that I might hurt myself!
  • ozznando
    ozznando Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bench 50 lbs (plus 15 lb bar) doing 3 sets of 10 and have only been at the gym for 9 months. Honestly I am the only woman in my gym who bench presses. works for me and my trainor (a female) did show me proper form so no issues. Arms look awesome, not manly. Will post pics soon. Go for it!
  • MissEmmaG80
    Options
    How ridiculous! I have been weight training for about 2 months and I squat at least 60kg/132lbs, DL 70kg/154lbs and bench 35kg/77lbs for 4 x 8 reps... now in comparison to a lot of weight lifters that's not much but it's heavy enough and being a 'feeble girl' I have managed not to hurt myself!! He's probably worried you'll show him up!!

Have a look at this... http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

it's free and I found it a great starting point :smile:
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women. Get the book from the library if you have to, join the group, print out the workout sheets. If you don't know the exercises, there are tons of links in the group to YouTube vids of how to do them.

It's a very structured program, which I think is great for beginners and seasoned vets. Feel free to ask any questions.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your trainer has a preference for women that aren't overly muscular. He should be training you to meet your goals...not his. Get a new trainer.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Also, I find it insulting that the simple of idea of women trying to be strong = women getting hurt. Don't want to damage our delicate female bodies.

I dont see where anyone said women wanting to get strong means women getting hurt. Dont be inventing things so you can feel insulted. Life is too short for that attitude.

When Starting out, "lifting heavy" applies to men, women and children. You dont walk into a gym with no experience and just start grunting and groaning with a weight that is too heavy for you. Men can get hurt that way just as easily as women.

You seem to be missing something crucial here. OF COURSE you don't do that. The point is that women, on the whole, do not do this. They lift with lighter weights than is necessary and never progress and are told this is a good thing. Men can get hurt as easily as women and women get better the same way men do - progressive overload. Essentially 'lifting heavy' means that you are training 'like a man' - it is a given that proper form and proper weight need to be used but that you are shooting for progressively heavier loads, not getting to 200 reps with 2 lbs.

I'm not inventing anything. This is common.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women for the past few weeks. I'm loving it so far!! It's amazing how fast your body adjusts. I'm alot stronger then a few weeks ago. The NROLFW book is very specific and great for a beginner becuase it tells you specifically what to do on what day & it tells you proper form. I haven't ever lifted before so it was intimidating at first. I set up an orientation at my gym so they could show me around. The trainer assumed bc I was a girl that I would want to do all of the machines. I was like no I just want you to show me the proper form for deadlifts & squats. He laughed and was like oh you are going to brave going in the man cave! Haha...anyway he showed me around the weight room for a few minutes then i was on my own. I agree with watching LOTS of youtube video's to help you with form.

There is a NROL4W group on here. You should check it out.

Also, if you are interested in the program me a message I can email you my spreadsheet with the first stage exercises. That way it will give you an idea of what it's like.

Good luck! :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer at my gym tell me the same thing. When I showed him the NROLFW plan, he agreed it looked good, but INSISTED it would make me bulky, but he'd (reluctantly) show me good form anyway, since I told him that's the plan I wanted to follow. On the day of my appt., he was nowhere to be found. He called to reschedule, but I never bothered, and he's never there @ 5 am on weekdays when I am. I'd be fascinated to know what the other trainers at my gym think of it, but I haven't bothered to find out.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!!! I would be so upset!!!! I did 1 training session in May and they asked if I preferred female or male and I said female but then after I thought maybe I should have said male but you're making me glad I said female now!!!

She mostly showed me lower weight high rep stuff but I did insist she show me squats and deadlifts. I also watch videos on bodybuilding.com. you can search for the exercise you want (like barbell squat) then click on the female tab and it shows Jamie Eason doing it. Of course the male tab is exactly the same. haha. :smile: Anyway I usually watch the videos for the stuff I'm planning to do that day before I go to the gym and then practice my for everyday. I've been having the strategy of upping weight slowly until I feel really good about my form so

I'm really sorry about what happened in your training session. Lots of people do new rules for lifting but I like this better although I'm more doing my own thing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Talk to the gym management and see if that is a gym policy or just the trainer. If it is the gym, then it's time to find a new gym. If it's the trainer, report him, and ask for a session with someone else since this guy wasted your time. Let them know his attitudes and that you were very disappointed with the service you received.

I agree
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What a douche canoe.
    My new favorite insult!
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    The kick *kitten*, effin amazingly hot and killer athletic women at my Crossfit box would not only dissagree with that trainer, but would probably school him in lifting heavy.

They did not all start heavy on day 1, but they wokred up to it and it always impresses me to see a 140lb woman doing a 175# snatch. Plus I really just love when they are done and you can go up to them and say "hey, beautiful snatch" or "wow I love your snatch" or "your snatch is really looking sweet".. and then they high five you for it and say thanks, it never gets old.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer at my gym tell me the same thing. When I showed him the NROLFW plan, he agreed it looked good, but INSISTED it would make me bulky, but he'd (reluctantly) show me good form anyway, since I told him that's the plan I wanted to follow. On the day of my appt., he was nowhere to be found. He called to reschedule, but I never bothered, and he's never there @ 5 am on weekdays when I am. I'd be fascinated to know what the other trainers at my gym think of it, but I haven't bothered to find out.

Yup. The exact reason I made my profile picture. So bulky!! Way to keep at it!
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the support! I will definitely get the NROLFW and look up form on youtube. I love MFP! :bigsmile:
  • AlexnEmma2012
    AlexnEmma2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ^ This lady is smoking hot! Good thing she's my wife!
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ^ This lady is smoking hot! Good thing she's my wife!

Awww....:blushing:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a complete idiot.

You don't really need a personal trainer though. I just did a lot of research and watched a lot of youtube videos when I first started. It made me nervous at first going and doing it because I felt like I didn't know what I was doing but after that first day, it was fine. I even see men over there doing things with bad form and it makes me feel better about myself lol.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a PT just for this reason. I do PT with him twice a week, do a group exercise once a week, a cardio set once a week and now train in the pool once a week.

It does sound like you need to find a better gym or ask around in the free weights area for any recommendations.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    most trainers (at least in my gym) dont know about lifting in general, so i wouldnt trust them for form checks. for instance a few of them i've seen make people do weighted squats standing on a bosu ball :laugh:

even if they know good form, there's no guarantee that they know about lifting heavy. a few weeks ago, i was squatting next to another guy who was going heavy. one of the better trainers stopped to ask both of us why we were squatting with our shoes off.

if you want someone to show you proper form, ask at your front desk any trainers who have a background in powerlifting or body building (and not just an interest). this might be helpful in narrowing down the PTs

also you dont need someone to show you how to lift heavy. lifting heavy and lifting light requires the same form, the only difference is the weights you use, so even if it's someone showing you the right form with light weights - which is is how you start anyway until the correct form becomes second nature to you.

NROL4W is a good book.
    strong lifts and starting strength are also good programs as well. i prefer those because in the latter stage NROL4W gets a little too metcon with their workouts. i like metcon workouts, but when i want to lift for strength, i dont want to waste time on stuff like i legged DB rows or cutesy moves like back lunge with front reach
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    wow. I would've had to resist the urge to punch him in the crotch.