Low Fat Raw Vegans

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Really wanted to do Raw. I really wish that I could, but I tried it for a week and constantly felt like I was about to pass out.
    you were probably not eating enough calories. on LFRV you can eat 2500 calories

Yup, because calories, just like other measures like, oh I don't know, pounds for example, are variable like that.

Everyone knows a pound bricks weights way more than a pound of foam.

I'm curious though, name one Iron Man athlete that eats like that, 10% proteins, 10% fat ?

Again, not really looking to argue the fact that you eat like that, because I don't really care. I do care however about the healthy claims :p The Twinkie diet worked pretty well for one guy, but he didn't claim he could finish Kona though, that's the difference.

uh, not really sure if you're mocking me or not here, what I mean is people can eat many more calories from fruits and veggies than they can from other foods. I am not sure why, but it's a well documented fact.
    A well documented fact? No. A person who eats thousands of calories of fruit and veggies will get just as fat as a person who eats thousands of calories of burgers. No offense, but I think you've been misinformed.
  • itmeantnothing
    Options
    The original poster seemed to want to find other raw foods enthusiasts to talk to. In no way was it implied that this diet was superior than all others....

I am not sure how stating one is a raw vegan is pretentious in and of itself, nor does being a raw vegan mean a person subsists on celery. Celery is a great alkaline food though...but anyhow, I just thought that the logical fallacies in your unsolicited comment needed to be addressed. There are plenty of perfectly healthy people who eat a raw vegan diet, a raw diet with some fish, a vegan diet with cooked food, etc. Just because one person chooses a diet that you would not choose does not give you the right to poke fun at them. This is a site for people to encourage others on their journey.

Moving on, eating lots of fruits, vegetables and legumes is not at all similar to the severe restriction that an anorexic person engages in during the throes of their disease.

Just because what works for someone else does not work for you does not mean you need to challenge that person in a post in which their intent was to seek out other like-minded individuals. You do not need to mock everything you don't understand.

Finally, just wanted to add that there actually are vegan bodybuilders. If anyone is curious as to how they do it, feel free to check out these links:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/sports/vegans-muscle-their-way-into-bodybuilding.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.belsandia.com/vegan-bodybuilding.html

PS - Serena Williams just won Wimbledon and she eats a mostly raw vegan diet....just saying.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Serena still eats chicken and fish, that's not any kind of vegan, never mind a raw one. Also, there's a a major difference between a Vegan and a Raw Vegan.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There are several raw, vegan protein powders out there for anyone concerned about low protein. But the OP will have no problems reaching their protein goals on a 80/10/10 diet. Protein is easily obtained from a varied plant based diet. There's a myth that we need enormous amounts of protein to be healthy and strong...but if you look at studies that correlate high animal protein consumption and disease, there's a strong positive correlation. The USDA recommends .36 grams of protein per pound of body weight. So 50-55 grams of protein from a raw plant based source can be obtained by eating 1/4 cup almonds (7.4g), 3T Hemp seeds (15g), 1 cup of lentils (18g), 1 cup of broccoli (5g), 2T flaxseeds (4g), and a couple of cups raw spinach (5g). It's really not that much.

While animal meat is a good source of protein it also contains saturated fat, cholesterol, hormones, antibiotics, bacteria, is acidic, and lacks antioxidants, enzymes, fiber and phytonutrients. I think I'll stick to the broccoli, thanks.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Really wanted to do Raw. I really wish that I could, but I tried it for a week and constantly felt like I was about to pass out.
    you were probably not eating enough calories. on LFRV you can eat 2500 calories

Yup, because calories, just like other measures like, oh I don't know, pounds for example, are variable like that.

Everyone knows a pound bricks weights way more than a pound of foam.

I'm curious though, name one Iron Man athlete that eats like that, 10% proteins, 10% fat ?

Again, not really looking to argue the fact that you eat like that, because I don't really care. I do care however about the healthy claims :p The Twinkie diet worked pretty well for one guy, but he didn't claim he could finish Kona though, that's the difference.

uh, not really sure if you're mocking me or not here, what I mean is people can eat many more calories from fruits and veggies than they can from other foods. I am not sure why, but it's a well documented fact.
    A well documented fact? No. A person who eats thousands of calories of fruit and veggies will get just as fat as a person who eats thousands of calories of burgers. No offense, but I think you've been misinformed.

Sorry, I am NOT misinformed. Do your research on the raw low fat vegan diet. I dare you to show me one overweight longtermer. Everyone "overeats" at every single meal on fruit, and still manages to lose weight, or maintain a strong, lean body.
  • tigersword
    Options
    If you aren't overweight, you are not overeating. Volume =/= calories. It's basic human biology. A body needs X calories to maintain function. If it receives more than that, it gains weight, if it receives less than that, it loses weight. Being a low fat raw vegan doesn't allow you to break the laws of physics and biology.

I never said anything about low fat raw vegans being overweight or not, I said you can't lose weight eating over your TDEE. It's biologically impossible.

If you think they are eating more than they are burning and not gaining weight, than you are misinformed. Period.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    This is exactly the problem with Vegans--that they are low fat, and they happen to taste terrible raw.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the problem with Vegans--that they are low fat, and they happen to taste terrible raw.
    And, apparently, loaded with carbs and very little protein.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

4 Time Finisher Hawaii Ironman (PR 9:43)
    4 Time Finisher Lake Placid Ironman (PR 9:38)

http://www.thefruitarian.com
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Why yes, I have the same raw eat patterns as Squirrels. Yes, I am a vegan.
    Gorllias have the same eating patterns as low fat raw vegans too
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    And, apparently, loaded with carbs and very little protein.

I wouldn't want to base any lean-muscle plan around eating raw vegans.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and will occasionally follow a low fat raw diet. I'm actually eating (mostly) raw this week as a matter of fact, so I sent you a friend request. :)
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP has any obligation to have to defend herself. I've done a TON of research and low fat raw vegan is extremely healthy, healing and is a great way to live for a lot of people. Not all.

In the original post, she just stated she was looking for others who eat this way. If you are THAT curious, do your own research....there's a lot out there. And here's some raw vegan athletes for ya: http://www.inspirawtion.com/raw-vegan-athletes.html

To the OP, feel free to add me...I'm striving towards this way of eating at least 80% of the time, but I'm gradually transitioning for now. :flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    Options
    Why yes, I have the same raw eat patterns as Squirrels. Yes, I am a vegan.
    Gorllias have the same eating patterns as low fat raw vegans too
    Gorillas aren't vegans, they eat termites, grubs, worms, and snails. They don't actually drink water, either, they get all of their hydration from the food that eat. You sure you want to continue comparing yourself to the way gorillas live and eat? They don't have the same internal organ structure we do, either.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I don't think the OP has any obligation to have to defend herself. I've done a TON of research and low fat raw vegan is extremely healthy, healing and is a great way to live for a lot of people. Not all.

In the original post, she just stated she was looking for others who eat this way. If you are THAT curious, do your own research....there's a lot out there. And here's some raw vegan athletes for ya: http://www.inspirawtion.com/raw-vegan-athletes.html

To the OP, feel free to add me...I'm striving towards this way of eating at least 80% of the time, but I'm gradually transitioning for now. :flowerforyou:
    Interesting site, especially the RAW VEGAN FEMALE BODYBUILDER WHO WON 3RD PLACE! The one who didn't become a raw vegan until a couple weeks before the competition. That doesn't count. How many competitions has she won, or placed in since?
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    If you aren't overweight, you are not overeating. Volume =/= calories. It's basic human biology. A body needs X calories to maintain function. If it receives more than that, it gains weight, if it receives less than that, it loses weight. Being a low fat raw vegan doesn't allow you to break the laws of physics and biology.

I never said anything about low fat raw vegans being overweight or not, I said you can't lose weight eating over your TDEE. It's biologically impossible.

If you think they are eating more than they are burning and not gaining weight, than you are misinformed. Period.

I don't disagree with that. HOWEVER, there are other factors. Fruit is not calorie dense, and yet takes calories to digest. the overall net calorie affect is lower than high-fat, calorie dense food. Calories in< caloreis out= weight loss, but there are other factors. Most importantly life isn't all about weight loss- you can lose weight eating twinkies. I'm doing this to feel alive.
    hope that made sense. :)
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds aren't low fat, no way you could get to 10% protein without exceeding 10% fat...

most fruits are composed of at least 8% protein, which is the same ammount of protein in human milk- does that say something?
    Actually human milk has very low amounts of protein, due to the fact that an infant's kidneys are unable to handle higher amounts of protein until they get older. So, that really doesn't say anything about anything. An infant's nutritional needs are nothing like an adult's.

Besides, most fruits contain 2-4% protein, some contain higher amounts, most contain lower amounts.

And I won't even get into all of the fat, including saturated fat in human milk...

ok, well I don't really want to argue, but all I know is I feel like crap on the SAD, even a calorie restricted one. I've been a vegetarian for 17 years, but I feel ready to takr this next step. It works well for people, even athletes.
    Vegetarians are by and large considered healthier than vegans as they have a better nutritional balance. I know there are a few vegetarian bodybuilders for instance, but I don't know of any vegans.

I don't really feel this is a step forward for you. Protein is very important and you don't seem to know where to get it from.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

03.jpg

04.jpg

02.jpg

19.jpg

And some info on the leading ultramarathoner (anything over 26.2 miles) - Scott Jurek who is a vegan. Have any of you ever run 100 miles through the desert? http://scottjurek.com/
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Now that is interesting :)

Being truly fit on such a restrictive diet went from "impossible" to "Bloody difficult", but at least there is one dude that did it. You actually provided more proof than all the broscience iRebel is spewing here for 3 pages, thanks :)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Low fat? What about protein? I'm always curious how this works, because I don't know of any good RAW protein sources. Everything I can think of needs to be cooked. Also, why low fat? The body needs fatty acids for proper function. Not trying to bash, just genuinely curious, because it just sounds unbalanced, which is unhealthy.

Most vegetables are 10%+ protein, and can be eaten raw. Legumes and grains (many of which are more than 10% protein) can be soaked or sprouted and eaten raw. While it is not a diet I follow myself, I do know that some people are quite healthy on this type of diet. There is some movement away from 100% raw diets, to so called "high raw" diets, which include some cooked foods, typically cooked legumes.

And in case you're wondering, the World Health Organization sets protein needs at right around 10% of calories--so according to them, if you're getting enough calories, this type of diet would contain sufficient protein.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Now that is interesting :)

Being truly fit on such a restrictive diet went from "impossible" to "Bloody difficult", but at least there is one dude that did it. You actually provided more proof than all the broscience iRebel is spewing here for 3 pages, thanks :)
    Brendan Brazier is another athlete (champion ultramarthoner) who is vegan (and eats a high raw diet). He even wrote a series of books about high raw vegan diets. The first book "Thrive" discusses how high raw, vegan diets can increase athletic performance, and the second book (I can't remember the title now) includes training programs.