Swelling

Options
Is it normal for hands and fingers to swell while doing cardio?

Replies

• beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    See a doctor.
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Mine do. Can't even get my ring off after cardio, especially if it's hot out! Someone told me it could be excessive salt in diet. I do eat string cheese almost every day...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do you have HBP?

it's only normal if you have issue with sodium OR if you arent drinking enough water.

get yourself checked out by your doctor if you dont have blood pressure issue then start drinking more water.

your extremities shouldnt be swelling at all
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Nothing should be swelling during, well, anything. As someone else said, get that checked out by a doctor. It may be something as simple as too much sodium in your diet and not enough water and potassium, but it's best to get the serious stuff ruled out first. How much water (plain water, nothing added) do you drink on a daily basis?
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My hand swell walking, when I let them hang (after about 4 miles). If you bend your elbows they shouldn't swell. You can try squeezing your hands into fists gently to force the blood out or holding your arms over your head to return the blood to your core. If these things don't work I would see a doctor.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mine also swell sometimes when I do cardio - especially if it is really hot.

Q: Why do my hands swell when I do cardio?

A: According to Mayoclinic.com: Hand swelling during exercise is a fairly common problem. Unfortunately, the cause isn't so clear. It may be due to an exaggerated response by the circulatory system of your hands and fingers. Hand swelling during exercise is unlikely due to drinking excess water, electrolyte imbalance or weather.

Usually, when you exercise other parts of your body, your heart redirects blood from your hands to exercising muscles. This cools the skin and local tissues of the hand. The blood vessels in your hand try to maintain circulation but may overreact, leading to a local increase in blood and possibly swelling.

There is no proven method for preventing or reducing hand swelling during exercise. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that the following tips may help some people:

Before you exercise, remove your rings and loosen your watchband. During exercise, do occasional forward and backward arm circles. In addition, occasionally stretch your fingers out and then make a fist. Repeat this several times during exercise.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My hand swell walking, when I let them hang (after about 4 miles). If you bend your elbows they shouldn't swell. You can try squeezing your hands into fists gently to force the blood out or holding your arms over your head to return the blood to your core. If these things don't work I would see a doctor.

This. Mine swell if I'm not moving my arms and hands.
  • msgunder
    msgunder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mine also swell sometimes when I do cardio - especially if it is really hot.

Q: Why do my hands swell when I do cardio?

A: According to Mayoclinic.com: Hand swelling during exercise is a fairly common problem. Unfortunately, the cause isn't so clear. It may be due to an exaggerated response by the circulatory system of your hands and fingers. Hand swelling during exercise is unlikely due to drinking excess water, electrolyte imbalance or weather.

Usually, when you exercise other parts of your body, your heart redirects blood from your hands to exercising muscles. This cools the skin and local tissues of the hand. The blood vessels in your hand try to maintain circulation but may overreact, leading to a local increase in blood and possibly swelling.

There is no proven method for preventing or reducing hand swelling during exercise. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that the following tips may help some people:

Before you exercise, remove your rings and loosen your watchband. During exercise, do occasional forward and backward arm circles. In addition, occasionally stretch your fingers out and then make a fist. Repeat this several times during exercise.

Thanks everyone. I just had my annual check up and my blood pressure and HR are always fine. So I don't think it's health related. I know I need to drink more water each day. Some days I hardly get 3 glasses in me. I'll try what Mayo said and see if that helps.