FitBit vs. HRM

Options
mamasmaltz3
mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
I have been thinking about getting one of the two devices. Wondering which is better? The main exercise I do is eliptical, circuit training with weights and Pilates. Are these even going to register on the Fitbit? My goal with buying a device is to get a more accurate count of calories burned. MFP's estimates seem high to me.

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Anyone?
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    No idea about the FitBit, but I KNOW that for a better calorie count a HRM is awesome!! I literally just got the Polar Ft4 in the mail yestaerday and am already IN LOVE. I was looking for one for the exact reason as you. I think you should go with a HRM--- but take my opinion with a grain of salt lol. I honestly haven't even looked into the capabilities of a fitbit! Good luck :)
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I don't have either, but have looked into them both.

The fitbit is basically a pedometer, so it measures motion, great for walking, or running (but not both, because strides change..) and great for sleep monitoring.

HRM sounds like it would be better for you.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    HRM is more accurate for exercises that do not involve forward motion. I would recommend HRM. Unless you walk or run a lot
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think the heart rate monitor would be better for what you're wanting to judge calories for. I have a fitbit & a HRM watch, I normally only use the fitbit to track steps taken/miles walked. for actual burns during workouts at the gym a HRM is better
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I tried an HRM & found it not as reliable as my FitBit. Especially since you can connect FitBit with MFP.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    They are too high. I love my polar HRM because everyone starting heart rate is different. I love
    to use it when I jog and I set my pace around my HR.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    I tried an HRM & found it not as reliable as my FitBit. Especially since you can connect FitBit with MFP.

What do you mean by not reliable?
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    I use a fitbit since my heart rate is unreliable for calculating my activity levels. The sleep tracking feature is accurate in comparison to the $1500 sleep study I've done. Measurements of distance and such is comparable to what GPS on my phone says when I go out for a run. When my heart isn't being a PITA, it's comparable calorie count wise to the outcomes of my stress tests. I give it two thumbs up. I have zero complaints about fitbit. (Well except that for some people it's a little difficult to set it up at first. But that's also why I posted a step-by-step with photos blog about that.)
    Not to mention their customer service is outstanding.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have both. My Fitbit is great for motivating me to move more, but my HRM is more accurate for calorie burn. For example, I went on an hour long (mostly uphill) hike this morning and my Fitbit calories were out by around 90 calories (lower) in comparison to my HRM, and the MFP calculation was WAY over (like over 100 calories over!).

I love them both for very different reasons, but if you care doing lots of cycling, elliptical, circuit training, weight lifting etc then I would say an HRM will give you more accurate information about your calorie burn. IMO nothing is dead on for calorie burn, but out of the three I would say HRM is probably the closest - just remember to set it up right otherwise you can get skewed results.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    I don't have either, but have looked into them both.

The fitbit is basically a pedometer, so it measures motion, great for walking, or running (but not both, because strides change..) and great for sleep monitoring.

HRM sounds like it would be better for you.

Actually it's an accelerometer, measuring acceleration in any direction. A pedometer measures steps in terms of up and down movement.
  • jedikrissy
    jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM I like it very much, it's seems to be fairly accurate to my workouts. I can run for 30min on the elliptical at a leisurely pace and then when I do the same amount of time and I run as hard as I can my calories burned are mush higher. So HRM do work and can be quite accurate, from people I have spoke with that have them they told me not to buy one that is really cheap because it will suck. I spent $60 on mine at Canadian Tire. Now I am looking into buying a FitBit because it counts way more than calories burned and seems to be much better than a HRM, from the people I have talked to that have a FitBit say they all had HRM's first and then got a FitBit and they all say they like the FitBit more. But I guess that's all just personal preference, I will be getting a FitBit soon and be wearing both to compare. :) I like that you don't have to wear the FitBit on the wrist, and apparently it's use's the same technology as a Wii to tally your movements. Hope this helps :) Cheers
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have them both and I love my Fitbit. However it does mostly measure calories burned by steps taken. I just started using my Polar FT7 and I thought the calorie burns were low but I'm sure way more accurate than the ones MFP gives you. I did a Leslie Sanson video last night for 50 minutes and wore both my HRM and FitBit. The HRM said I burned 312 calories and the Fitbit said I burned 467. Not sure which is more accurate. Fitbit measures all day calorie burns and the HRM is only good for sessions of exercise. I hope I come to love my FT7 as much as my Fitbit.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    I use a fitbit since my heart rate is unreliable for calculating my activity levels. The sleep tracking feature is accurate in comparison to the $1500 sleep study I've done. Measurements of distance and such is comparable to what GPS on my phone says when I go out for a run. When my heart isn't being a PITA, it's comparable calorie count wise to the outcomes of my stress tests. I give it two thumbs up. I have zero complaints about fitbit. (Well except that for some people it's a little difficult to set it up at first. But that's also why I posted a step-by-step with photos blog about that.)
    Not to mention their customer service is outstanding.

I don't run and I walk for exercise infrequently. I am a stay at home Mom of three kids which I homeschool so if I want to exercise outside I have to take them all with me. Getting my heart rate up with a 3 year old in tow just doesn't happen with all the stops to look at bugs, lol. So, I use my eliptical and I use videos and strength training. Does the Fitbit register these activities?
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    So, I use my eliptical and I use videos and strength training. Does the Fitbit register these activities?

In my experience, when I used to go to the gym, fitbit was within 75 calories of what the elliptical registered me at. There's a little bit of a difference for me though since I have an irregular heartbeat. That's why I use a fitbit instead of a hrm.
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit. i know it's lower in calculating my burned calories, but i don't mind that. it's never off by a ton, maybe 50-80cals. but despite how careful i am, i figure i probably have inaccuracies in my food too.

my fitbit hasn't left my side since i got it.
    sometimes i leave my desk and go up and down stairs in the middle of the work day so i can get some extra flights counted in my log :)

i have a heartrate monitor that came with my GPS running watch. i worked great for the first year but now it always seems off. and i can never trust it's numbers. but that just means i probably need a better HRM.

it does sound like a HRM would be best for what you do. but if you are a gadget person like i am, and are considering a fitbit, i definitely think you should get one.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Just expanding the conversation a little bit... what about Bodybugg and Nike Fuel bands?
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    My Birthday is coming up and I am trying to decide which to ask my hubby for. Lol, maybe it will be both? What HRM's do you recommend and what is a reasonable price point?