Eating vegan to aid weight loss?

Options
Has anyone heard of this before? I am severely anemic, but cannot absorb iron from meat for some odd reason - awaiting tests to find out why. SO I'm trying a new route, getting my iron purely from vegetables and pulses. As much as i love milk, cheese and chocolate, I over eat on them, all the time and its not helping my diet lol.

Would changing to a vegan diet, even just for a couple of months aid my weight loss and improve my iron intake?

Replies

• aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    There are two pitfalls from eating vegan in general. People tends to consume more sugar, and people tends to not understand nutrition and get deficient in a lot of areas.

If you can keep this in mind and make sure you get enough nutrients, then you should be find. It's a good way to start learning your eating patterns and watch what you eat.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ITA with aqm22. There are a lot of "junk food vegans" around, meaning the ones who live off of highly-processed stuff from the natural foods store, etc. The mistake that a lot of would-be vegans make is eating too much of those, including starch and sugar, vs. getting in enough produce and vegan protein sources, which usually are combo carb+protein, like beans and peas for instance. However, those legumes are low in fat and high in fiber, which makes them GREAT for one's health in general. If one is going vegan, the first thing to do after dropping the eggs and dairy(usually present in ovo-lacto vegetarian eating styles)is seriously up one's produce. Green smoothies once a day, and a big salad or heap of lower-fat prepared lightly-cooked veggies are an easy way to do this. You want to be getting in 7-10 servings of produce a day, if not more depending on your needs. Those serving sizes are not all that large either - often just a half-cup which when one looks at it is pretty small. People often get scared off by the servings recommended for produce because they think of a whole plateful as being one serving - it's not LOL! Then, after you've addressed the produce issue, you can get in the alternate concentrated protein sources like tofu, tempeh, legumes, and then unrefined grains and grain products(sprouted grain stuff is excellent, delicious and very satisfying too). Healthy fats like coconut and olive oils(extra-virgin), avocados, raw nuts and seeds in smaller amounts(as these are high in calories) are all good. Limit sweeteners to natural ones, ideally fruit, but if one must have a sweet treat, then there are many simple raw food desserts that are truly yummy, all natural and not a huge amount of calories either, eaten in moderation.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you look at the book Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. It is a plant based diet that is based solely on whole foods - fresh raw and lightly steamed veggies (concentrating on greens), beans, fruits, nuts & seeds. It can be vegan, or some people will add lean meat or eggs (making up no more than 10% of the diet).

Because of the high volume of food you reach all your nutrients with the exception of vit B-12 - that can only be found in supplements or meat products. I consistently hit all my iron and calcium eating this way and feel so much better than when I'm eating a meat-protein heavy diet. We have a group in the forums if you want to stop by and ask questions. There's several vegetarian/vegan groups as well.
  • Luxxmundi
    Luxxmundi Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions! Definitely will have to do a bit more research. For dinner tonight I'm cooking Lentils, courgettes, leeks, carrots, celery, cumin seeds, tomatoes, spinach and coconut milk, in a sort of casserole. I'm not sure if its the best vegan recipe, or if its lacking in a major food group, but it was pretty much what I had in the cupboard so have thrown it all in together to see what happens. With a bit of brown rice on the side does this sound okay? Or have I made a really rookie mistake some where?
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sounds YUMMY! lentils are real power-houses of nutrition. Enjoy!
  • gogogulliver
    gogogulliver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan (have been so for threeish years and have not eaten meat or fish for about eight or nine) and I've just joined (well, actually started using) this site to lose a few pounds. I eat pretty healthily, but there's nothing naturally low calorie or low fat particularly about a vegan diet, and it can be very carbohydrate-centric if you're not careful.

Lots of red beans, lentil and green leafy vegetables contain iron.

Also, I have complete casserole envy right now.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of this before? I am severely anemic, but cannot absorb iron from meat for some odd reason - awaiting tests to find out why. SO I'm trying a new route, getting my iron purely from vegetables and pulses. As much as i love milk, cheese and chocolate, I over eat on them, all the time and its not helping my diet lol.

Would changing to a vegan diet, even just for a couple of months aid my weight loss and improve my iron intake?

Have you tried taking an iron supplement? I am exactly the same, unable to absorb iron (currently being tested for celiac disease) but taking supplements in the meantime. I'm also vegan, and before anyone says it, I was just as anemic while I still ate meat.

Def do some research if you want to go vegan, you don't want to rely on fake meats/soy products, but it sounds like you already have a pretty good idea about what to eat.
  • Luxxmundi
    Options
    It was actually really satisfying - next time might add a bit more spice. Filled me up a lot faster than my normal meals, and half the calories and probably double the iron. I took a picture I was so proud lol
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have to say, as a vegan at one time, you have to truely want to be vegan. It has to be something you want really bad for a strong reason. You could do it for weight loss yes, but what about when you lost your weight? Will you always be vegan? Weight loss is about a lifestyle change, but you have to want to keep that change! Wishing you luck!
  • Luxxmundi
    Options

Have you tried taking an iron supplement? I am exactly the same, unable to absorb iron (currently being tested for celiac disease) but taking supplements in the meantime. I'm also vegan, and before anyone says it, I was just as anemic while I still ate meat.

Def do some research if you want to go vegan, you don't want to rely on fake meats/soy products, but it sounds like you already have a pretty good idea about what to eat.

I take over 800mg of iron a day, and it never budges, infact it just keeps going down =[ I'm also being tested for celiac diesease, but also have an overactive thyroid which could be affecting it too apparently.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's funny, i know some very fit Vegans and i know some very fat/unfit vegans ... it all depends on what you eat as a vegan, there's TONS of vegan junk foods and fatty foods too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have seen too much unhealthy vegans and vegetarians to ever consider it myself. Also, that and the difficultly to obtain enough protein steers me clear. I much prefer the Paleo Diet (meat, fish, veggies and fuits).
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to check out Dr. Fuhrman, especially if you're anemic. Leafy greens are great sources of iron!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any more unhealthy vegans than unhealthy people on the SAD. That said, I don't think being vegan alone will help weight loss. The only way it helps me with weight loss is that I can't eat the 10 tons of junk that people bring to my job. However, if I wasn't committed to being a vegan in the way I am, I would be sorely tempted to cheat.

On the other hand, if you are a bit of a dairy addict, being a vegan could help you while you get some things straightened out. However, with all of your medical concerns, I would ask your doctor for a plan to follow.
  • gogogulliver
    gogogulliver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have seen too much unhealthy vegans and vegetarians to ever consider it myself. Also, that and the difficultly to obtain enough protein steers me clear. I much prefer the Paleo Diet (meat, fish, veggies and fuits).
    Complete and utter myth about veganism. Really, total claptrap.

I've had 150g of protein today without much difficulty and I'm vegan. How much more should I expect to be eating?
  • Luxxmundi
    Options
    I have to admit my Doctor is useless. I have been severely anemic for years, but after the birth of my daughter it got a lot worse. My Iron level is normally sat around 6, sometimes if I'm lucky 7.His suggestion for loosing weight, is to excercise more, which is great, but as I work 6 hour shifts as a care worker 6 days a week, run after a baby and walk the dog daily, I dont really have time for much else!

I decided to cut dairy out for now, just so I can sort myself out and limit myself on my intake, especially chocolate. I love it to death, but its getting out of hand now. Perhaps I can slowly work it back in at some point, or I may just enjoy the alternative choices :)
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to take the Iron supplement with orange juice? The vitamin C helps absorption. Also, make sure not to take the supplement at the same time or within two hours of milk, calcium, antacids, High fiber foods, (such as whole grains, raw vegetables, and bran) or Foods or drinks with caffeine

If you can, try to take it on an empty stomach but I've heard that can be really harsh.

Good luck!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007478.htm
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I've had 150g of protein today without much difficulty and I'm vegan. How much more should I expect to be eating?

Thank you for addressing that, I was about to facepalm.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I never said it wasnt possible and it wasnt meant to be an attack, for me i need 180-200 g of protein which i could never get if i was a vegan as i cant eat beans. I am also not inferring this is an inferior diet either. Just want to be clear about that. Personally whatever floats your boat is my motto.
  • EmilyT1994
    EmilyT1994 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but my friend of 7 years was vegan.
    She was relatively small but had a lot of spare fat.
    She found it very hard to stay healthy on a vegan diet, because there's not as much variety in vegan foods.
    She just used to eat nuts, which bored her, so then she began to eat junk food because there is lots of this that is vegan friendly.
    If you think you can eat similar things most of the time, then I wish you all the best.
    But I don't know, I think it would be very hard to stick to.