carbs/ fat/ protein are everywhere

Options
went over my carbs over my fat and over my protein and under my calories. I have no idea what I did wrong today. I tried to eat fruits, veggies mainly for dinner I ate an egg roll veggie and for lunch a mini bagel. would anyone look at my diary see what I did wrong? I am feeling really frustrated. welcome suggestions and comments as long as their is no bashing or puts downs.

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You didn't go over on protein, you were way under. Your diary looks okay apart from the very low protein. Perhaps consider moving some calories away from the breads and starches and switching them to things like eggs, lean meat, and fish.

FYI It's pretty much impossible to go over on all three macros and still be under on calories - since almost every calorie you eat is accounted for by those three macros (that's why they're called the 'macros'). If you're under on cals, you must be under on at least one of the macros.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You didn't go over on protein, you were way under. Your diary looks okay apart from the very low protein. Perhaps consider moving some calories away from the breads and starches and switching them to things like eggs, lean meat, and fish.

FYI It's pretty much impossible to go over on all three macros and still be under on calories - since almost every calorie you eat is accounted for by those three macros (that's why they're called the 'macros'). If you're under on cals, you must be under on at least one of the macros.

^^^^Yep, what he said. Way under on your protein. You might want to try -

greek yogurt (14 grams of protein per carton!!)
    chicken
    tuna
    cottage cheese
    string cheese
    other lean meats and fish
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    went over my carbs over my fat and over my protein and under my calories.

Did you discover a fourth macronutrient?
  • Tynen
    Tynen Posts: 5
    Options
    You're not on Keto that's what you did wrong.
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options

Um, no.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Ditto;

Lean meats
    fish
    eggs, string cheese
    cottage cheese
    Greek Yogurt(good quality)
    Organic milk(whole)
    and.. don't forget nuts.

Dark berries also have great benefits

All fats are not bad. The fats in veggies, nuts and organic dairy are actually beneficial. I would much rather eat more of those kinds of fats than carbs. It keeps you full longer and you don't get the sugar cravings. Fat will typically burn like carbs for quick energy, and it is what feeds the brain. Carbs are usually instant energy.
    Oatmeal and such are really the only time I intentionally eat carbs, like before my rides or runs. Proteins afterwards.

If you are going to eat rice or pasta, stick to long grain brown rice, and whole wheat pasta. At least they are a bit better for you in the fiber department (and less starch)
    If you want potatoes, try red or new potatoes. Even better are yams.
    White breads and corn are evil and should be avoided.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options

notsureifsrs
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Alcohol is the 4th macronutrient.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    TOO much processed foods! Eat more egg whites greek yogurts lean meats and fruit.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Don't get too hung up on the macros. Look, you're only eating a miniscule number of calories anyway. If you're under whatever number of calories you think you should eat, you're fine. Leave it at that.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options

facepalm_and_carry_on_its_one_of_those_days_postcard-p239457629147198599baanr_400.jpg
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options

D'oh. Forgot about that for a second.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options

Isn't that up for debate though? I was under the impression that it was typically classified under carbs.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I personally try to stray away from processed foods, especially carbs. I would have cut out the Rice-a-Roni and Hashbrown myself and substituted those for veggies or more protein. Also, I noticed your breakfast calories were pretty high... not that this is necessarily bad, but it leaves you with little room for more food throughout the day. I don't know about you... but if I blow most of my calories in the morning, I am more apt to eat unhealthy later in the day because I'm hungry and have no wiggle room. But, to each their own!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    You should be careful on your protein choices. Steak fingers sounds like a protein choice, but looking at the numbers in your diary, they are actually more of a huge chunk of fat. I don't know what those are, but I would guess they are battered and deep-fried with those numbers. Try some lean proteins.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I agree. Less carbs more unprocessed food, lean meats and veggies.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Isn't that up for debate though? I was under the impression that it was typically classified under carbs.
    Isn't it;
    4 cals per gram of protein
    4 cals per gram of carbs
    9 cals per gram of fat
    14 cals per gram of alcohol? EDIT: 7 cals per gram as corrected below.

Or something like that.
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options

Carbohydrates (with few exceptions) have a 2:1 Hydrogen:Oxygen ratio.

Alcohol does not.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Isn't it;
    4 cals per gram of carbs
    9 cals per gram of fat
    14 cals per gram of alcohol?

Or something like that.
    7 calories per gram for alcohol.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Isn't it;
    4 cals per gram of carbs
    9 cals per gram of fat
    14 cals per gram of alcohol?

Or something like that.
    7 calories per gram for alcohol.
    I'm off to work out how to make butter out of alcohol.