Back Pain and exercise/weight loss

Options
long story short, i have a herniated/degenerating disc. and now i'm at the point where i love going to the gym, but sometimes i just can't because my back just wont hold up. elliptical is good for me but sometimes after 10min i start to get sore.

anyone else had weight loss success while having a bad back? tips/tricks?

Replies

• brutalrage
    brutalrage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have back problem myself, at my heaviest I just couldn't walk long time or stand up for long. I would suggest doing cardio on the Recline Bike to do cadio and for weight you can use the machine since most of them you can sit at. When I started to loose the weight I know that helped me.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I have an SI joint problem in my lower back and have to watch my exercise.
    I also have two bulging discs.
    I started doing Pilates, one on one with an instructor and it really worked.
    You have to work on your core strength, that in turn will help your back.

I also do a lot of walking and back exercises to keep limber.
    I stagger my exercises and try to do different things too.
    I hope this helps.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Pilates and core workouts using a stability ball.
  • ShrinkingLauren88
    ShrinkingLauren88 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thanks :) I'm in physical therapy on and off so i do a lot of core/leg strengthening. I know that the more i lose/tone, the better my back will feel. Guess I just have to keep at it. I usually do great with the circuit training/free weights, etc. But when it comes to cardio, it's difficult when i'm having a flair up.
  • ShrinkingLauren88
    Options
    shirly- if i walk for more than a few minutes i tend to get sore. you don't have that problem? i can do light walking on a treadmill for about 5 minutes and then i start to hurt :(
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I know about flair ups. Strengthening the core will help with the back pain.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What about swimming/ water walking/ aquaerobics? The water helps support you and cuts pressure on your joints etc. Don't know if you've got a public pool/ gym pool anywhere near you...
  • ShrinkingLauren88
    Options
    i also do PT in the pool once a week. i like it but it's not like hard-core weight loss cardio. lol
  • scgbball
    scgbball Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My gym actually has classes that take place in the pool - aqua kickboxing and aqua zumba- you should check out your gym and see if they have anything like that. Also, if you talk to any of the trainers at the gym they might have a few suggestions for you based on sound science. (instead of our opinions lol) Good luck!
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia and RA so pain is a constant for me. I push through it and keep going. When my workout is over, I feel 100% better. Exercise really is a great tool for pain management. Just be sure that you're not doing anything so intense that it could worsen your condition.