Good protein snacks for someone not bodybuilding

Options
Hi there! I'm doing alright fitness-wise, but I was wondering what some good protein snacks would be that aren't protein shakes, fatty cheeses, or yoghurt. I'm willing to cook lean meat for meals, but I'm looking for snacks I can easily bring to work. Any suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    I am liking a variety of nuts...peanut, walnuts, almonds, or lemon pistachios. For a commercial product, I like Mojo bars.
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    I like Quest bars a lot (if microwaved for about 10 seconds - totally changes them). Hard boiled eggs are another option.
  • dorite7
    dorite7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you able to buy Herbalife?? They have an AWESOME Protein beverage that is only 70 calories and 15 grams of protein!! I have some everyday!! Tastes like koolaid!! :)) I also do string cheese and cottage cheese too.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    light string cheese is pretty good. Nuts are kind of high in fat as far as protein sources go but they transport well. some sliced up cold steak (med rare) is usually tasty. Shredded chicken with sauce on it (franks or BBQ sauce). Quite a few bar options - I like the kashi dark mocha almond granola bars -- they only have 6 grams of protein per bar but better than some other quick snack options out there as far as protein goes, and you can have 2 as they are only 130 calories.

(obviously there are PROTEIN bars out there with way more but they usually taste nasty because they're full of nasty protein powder and stuff).
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of light string cheese and turkey pepperoni. A little high in sodium, but nothing you can't combat with water :)

There's some decent bars out there too.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    you know, body builders eat lean meats too, so are you sure you're willing to cook/eat that?
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Think Thin bars are great.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    unsalted nuts
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    roasted soy nuts
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Biogensis has great bars in various flafors (I buy them on Amazon) that are whole food bars with no chemicals and are gluten free. Not cheap but super high quality, taste pretty good and are highly recommended by a couple of nutritionists I know.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's no difference between what proteins "bodybuilders" would eat and what mere mortals would eat. It's not like you're going to turn into Hulk Hogan if you have a protein shake. :wink:

I like protein bars because the fill the urge to eat a candy bar. I've had some Marathon bars by Snickers that are delicious, and I really like Balance Bars, too. And I adore beef jerky. High in sodium, but otherwise.... a perfect snack. And Gatorade protein recovery is surprisingly good, too.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for the info ...thanks everyone!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    @Arleigh7...how many calories and how much protein in those bars!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Luna bars!! 180 calories, a good amount of protein, and it's a GREAT treat. It feels like a candy bar. It probably isn't the most hardcore protein bar out there, but I like my food to taste good! :)

I eat a "Nuts Over Chocolate" Luna bar every day. In fact, I just went on a ten minute search around the house for my last one to find that my husband ate it, because they taste sooo good!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've switched to Pure Protein bars because they seem to be way lower in sugar than many of the other protein bars. I like them myself! I also just tried "Muscle Milk Light". It's a premixed, is a small package with a drink straw, 8 oz, and 100 calories. I think the chocolate is pretty tasty, myself.

I also use the 3 oz cans of chunk chicken and chunk tuna. I throw a tablespoon of light ranch dressing and I'm ready to go... eat it with celery instead of crackers to get a good crunch without all the calories! This isn't good for "on the go", but it works great as an afternoon snack at work or when I'm here late.

I love nuts, but I totally BLOW my fat alottment for the day when I have them.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    So you aren't exercising at all? That's ok but so you want snack with less calories? Don't forget even walking around the house bending and lifting build/tones muscle and burns calories? Other than protein snacks there are the usually carrot sticks, fruits, smoothees. Those snacks you mentioned are healthy for anyone, body building or not. We need all of the food groups unless someone is allergic to something or a doctors diet for certain conditions;) denise:drinker: :drinker:
    [/quote]
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    There's no difference between what proteins "bodybuilders" would eat and what mere mortals would eat. It's not like you're going to turn into Hulk Hogan if you have a protein shake. :wink:

I like protein bars because the fill the urge to eat a candy bar. I've had some Marathon bars by Snickers that are delicious, and I really like Balance Bars, too. And I adore beef jerky. High in sodium, but otherwise.... a perfect snack. And Gatorade protein recovery is surprisingly good, too.

^^ this, any kind of protein shake or bar. or nuts, greek yogurt, milk, beef jerky, etc... protein from any source is needed in your diet and will actually keep you full longer.
  • callingoctober
    callingoctober Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! I really appreciate it; adding some of 'em to my shopping list as we type. (For the record, I do exercise, and I walk about four miles a day, but a lot of the threads I've seen about protein have focused on shakes, specifically for focused muscle gain. I have nothing against body-building, exercise, or lean meat - y'all are reading in a heck of a lot :D)

Thanks again!