The Turning 30 Blues...

Options
I am turning 30 on the 27th of this month and for some reason I am having a hard time with it. I am not even sure why, People who dont know I have 4 children guess me at about 24 so I should feel happy about that but for some reason its hitting me hard. I look better than I did as a teenager and I still have a long ways to go and I suppose I am feeling the regret of not taking control sooner. Anyone else have a difficult time with this particular birthday?

Replies

• sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I turned 30 last year and was dreading it as I had a lot of things I hadnt accomplished by that time. The day after I turned 30 was just a relief that I was okay with where I was at.
  • lenema
    lenema Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nothing was as hard as my 30th, birthday-wise. I'm 66 now., and its all been better since that one. I was almost 31 and I was still thinking- I can't believe I'm in my 30's. LOL. Not a problem since.
  • kcoburn327
    kcoburn327 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Aww big hugs!!! I turn 30 in 2014 and I can't wait! I had my kids young (21,23,25). They are to tue point where they are a little bit more independent and I feel comfortable focusing on me. By doing so, I feel like I have become a better mother and wife. Keep yiur head up and love your 30's!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I actually think your 30s are an awesome time in life!!! I know for myself, my 20s were very chaotic...still trying to figure myself out, what I wanted in life, who I was, etc....etc...lots of fun times, no doubt...but lots of drama, too. Now in my 30s I have confidence I didn't have in my 20s, a happy marriage and kids, and more belief in myself and love for my body. Embrace your 30s...it's a great time!
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    I didn't have a problem with 30. 40 on the other hand...
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I hated my 30th, but for some reason the 28th and 29th were harder for me because the big '30' was looming closer. Fear was greater than the actuality. By time 30 actually got here, I had done my grieving and moved on. :) Big hugs...I'll be 35 in a couple of months, and it's hitting me harder than it should. As long as I don't *look* it. :tongue:
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No, but turning 40 is a bit daunting! I think the key is exercising and eating right. We can look good for many, many years to come as we gain control of taking care of ourselves. I think you will enjoy your 30s!
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    I totally understand the feeling. Just know that the turning 40 blues are right around the corner. Enjoy each day and don't let it get you down. You can end up wasting a decade not wanting to be in your 30s and be dealing with the 40s and beyond. we can't stop the process of getting older so just concentrate on being the best you that you can be and not worry about the numbers it will rob you of joy and waste on something that can't be changed.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I was sad when i turned 30 but i got over it because i decided i want to be at my best now more then ever. We are older but wiser then ever. Now I embrace it 30 is the new twenties. We got our **** together and we still look good.
  • noswal911
    noswal911 Posts: 4
    Options
    I had a hard time with it too! Some of the pressure was internal but a lot of it was external. But I think things are different now, and people are living longer and doing more later in life, so there is still time. I started a project about it, asking successful people what they were doing when they were 30 and what's changed for them since then. For most of them, the answer is, a lot: www.wheniwas30.com
  • cocoa_cutie513
    cocoa_cutie513 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I actually think your 30s are an awesome time in life!!! I know for myself, my 20s were very chaotic...still trying to figure myself out, what I wanted in life, who I was, etc....etc...lots of fun times, no doubt...but lots of drama, too. Now in my 30s I have confidence I didn't have in my 20s, a happy marriage and kids, and more belief in myself and love for my body. Embrace your 30s...it's a great time!

Thanks! This gives me a bit of optimism to work with when February (my Bday month) rolls around. At 29, I just recently came to the realization that I am in dire need of a 'self love' journey. Hopefully this will get me on track when 30 gets here!!

Woot woot to the 80's babies!!!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I turned 30 in May and can honestly say it really didn't bother me. I don't feel any different and its nothing but a number.

Just look around at teenagers, when I do that and see all the drama's they go through on a daily basis I am very glad to be 30!!:tongue:
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    When I turned 30 i got pretty depressed too but in someways it was a good thing because it made me realise I was not living my life the way I should be, you know constantly putting things off "I will do that next year"

I am 32 in Jan and I am fitter than I have ever been and I have been on at least one decent hol each year. So maybe turning 30 isn't such a bad thing after all as it makes us take a good look at ourselves and gives us a chance to make a change.

Hope you feel better about it soon.
  • mommylog
    mommylog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My friends tease me all the time... I just turned "29" a few days ago. everyone is telling me I look 35! and my sweet kid tells me I look 41! man. I guess it's not about age, or even how old ya look... it is all about how you feel about yourself! ;) one day I will be comfortable telling people my REAL age! ;)
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options

THIS. Totally. in my 30s I grew into my skin. I would hate to be 20something again. awful time. 30s are smooth

(Also I just got ID buying wine today. they're supposed to ask if you look under 25. Ha! Add a decade and then some)
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    I had a terrible time with that milestone. I realized that I was no longer planning for my adult life, but was well committed on the path I was on.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 yesterday...and I have a 19 year old son in college.

I hope that makes you feel better. :flowerforyou:

LMAO! :D
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I guess I am different because I was SO excited when I was turning 30! Every year that I am alive makes me grateful. I hope to live to see many, many more birthdays. Age is only a state of mind and when you're healthy, aging is a much more graceful process. I hope you start feeling better about it soon.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    My 30s have been infinitely better than my 20s. I'm not even really minding that I'm just a stone's throw from 40 now. Life keeps getting better and better.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help you but i loved turning 30! Finally people will take me more seriously or at least i thought lol.. Well I turned 35 a month ago and still have people thinking I'm in college *short hair and a baby face does it* Hey even 23y.o. Guys hitting on me help stroke my ego even more lmao Embrace 30 by reflecting on the growth you have had over the pass 10 yrs. it is truly a blessing to have another year, month, week, day, hour or minute as they are not granted to us all.

HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY! May it be filled with smiles, laughter, family, friends and joyous memories!!! ~M