Has anyone seen the documentary "Fat Head"?

Options
If not, it's basically a rebuttal to Supersize me. The guy eats fast food for 30 days BUT he limits his carbs to 100g per day and he ended up losing weight and lowering his cholesterol and his overall body fat percentage. I found the documentary pretty informative. He also talks about how the government and companies like the FDA are telling us to eat way too many carbs (I think 300g is the daily recommended amount) and a bunch of other stuff. I think it's worth watching! :)

If you've seen it, what are your thoughts on it?

More info on "Fat Head": http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/about/

Replies

• LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    "Fat Head should be renamed Hollow Head for what it does to people's education of the various topics it butchers. A good way to make knowledgable people want to punch their monitor is have them sit through that raging piece of crap. " ~ Alan Aragon
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If not, it's basically a rebuttal to Supersize me. The guy eats fast food for 30 days BUT he limits his carbs to 100g per day and he ended up losing weight and lowering his cholesterol and his overall body fat percentage. I found the documentary pretty informative. He also talks about how the government and companies like the FDA are telling us to eat way too many carbs (I think 300g is the daily recommended amount) and a bunch of other stuff. I think it's worth watching! :)

If you've seen it, what are your thoughts on it?

More info on "Fat Head": http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/about/

Seen it, liked it, bought the 'Wheat Is Murder' t-shirt ;)

Some of the books and videos mentioned in my blog may be of interest to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DeadVim
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    "Fat Head should be renamed Hollow Head for what it does to people's education of the various topics it butchers. A good way to make knowledgable people want to punch their monitor is have them sit through that raging piece of crap. " ~ Alan Aragon

And expect the usual suspects to turn up on the thread.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Alan for the win.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It made me feel angry for wasting my time. I guess the guy who made it is a comedian, but obviously not funny, so he's looking for another line of income.
  • meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options

I have to agree. Sorry, I watched 10 minutes of it and had to turn it off to avoid throwing something at my TV.
  • raiseyourgame
    Options
    Fair opinions, you guys care to say why you thought it was a bad film?
  • raiseyourgame
    Options

I have to agree. Sorry, I watched 10 minutes of it and had to turn it off to avoid throwing something at my TV.

Fair enough, but that would mean you wouldn't have taken any of the points made in the doc
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    It is very insightful but admittantly biased towards low carb diets.

The documentary notes some facts about carbohydrates physicians and nutritionists seem to not mention to patients but they also fail to mention all the facts on the opposing point of view

for example they say carbohydrates cause an insulin spike causing fat storage which is true. But what they leave out is that this can only happen if the glycogen reserve in the liver is full which if your following a low calorie/higher carb diet it wont be a problem.

cutting carbs it the only way to lose weight though whether its through low calorie or low carb.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Did it have anything to do with these guys?

alice-in-wonderland-tweedle-dee-and-tweedle-dum.jpg
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    super size me was an extreme...fat head takes it to the other extreme...not too hard to figure out what is going to happen on either spectrum....i couldn't sit through it either...it was lame...i eat about 200-300g of carbs a day and i am losing lbs. by creating an adequate caloric deficit and getting plenty of exercise.
  • brunette824
    brunette824 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I liked it, I thought it was informative but it also shows there are more than one way to lose weight. btw I tried the low carb thing and its harder than it sounds, I eventually just went back to counting calories instead. To me it wasn't really a long-term approach more like a short term option. I still think it was better than "supersize me" which I thought was pretty narrow minded...
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do low carb, so of course i liked this movie.

wheat really is terrible.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    hahaha! Thank you friends! I needed to fall asleep smiling. :)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I watched it. Not only did he watch his carbs, he COUNTED calories. I don't remember his calorie intake for the day, but he was very specific about that.

Which I feel was more important to his weight loss than the carbs.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I surprisingly enjoyed it but I also enjoyed Supersize Me. The science talk was interesting but I'm not going to take the word of a (any) documentary as gospel truth.
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    I watched it but turned it off halfway through because it was already things I knew plus his tone of voice really annoyed me.
  • goatfishtwo
    goatfishtwo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I watched it. Not only did he watch his carbs, he COUNTED calories. I don't remember his calorie intake for the day, but he was very specific about that.

Did you miss the part at the end where he said "according to the calories in/calories out theory I should've only lost 7.5 pounds" ?
  • raiseyourgame
    Options

Did you miss the part at the end where he said "according to the calories in/calories out theory I should've only lost 7.5 pounds" ?

+1
  • raiseyourgame
    Options
    I surprisingly enjoyed it but I also enjoyed Supersize Me. The science talk was interesting but I'm not going to take the word of a (any) documentary as gospel truth.

I 100% agree with your statement, I loved Supersize Me!