Frustrating

Options
I lost about 16lb since May. I am still hungry between meals. I can eat fruit but even fruit has some calories. Any ideas for fighting the hunger? I am tired of being hungry. Do I have to be this way for the rest of my life? I have 3lb to lose and it is hard.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? what's your deficit at?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    3 pounds huh...once you get the pounds off, you will switch to maintenance mode which means more calories for you, so you won't be as hungry. Protein and fiber are basically the power duo for fighting off hunger- so try to incorporate those into your meals and snacks. Make every calorie count.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1300 calories a day and I'm almost never super hungry between meals. I try to eat regularly - breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack and that helps fight hunger. But, if I am hungry between meals, I'll eat a small unplanned snack (agreed with Brenda -- hunger fighting snacks need to include *protein* and fiber definitely helps, too) and then I eat less at my next meal (or you could exercise a little longer than planned) to compensate for the extra calories of the unplanned snack.
  • JOY621
    JOY621 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1,200 calories or less so I will reach the goal. I just feel that 1,200 calories are not enough. I try to eat high fiber food and protein. I don't eat meat so I substitue it with soy.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I am eating 1,200 calories or less so I will reach the goal. I just feel that 1,200 calories are not enough. I try to eat high fiber food and protein. I don't eat meat so I substitue it with soy.

but what is your deficit? I.E. how many calories per day are you under your maintenance calories?
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Are you using your calories on high calorie food? Could you have more low calorie vegetables as snacks (like cucumbers, green peppers, celery)? Are you eating enough for breakfast? When I eat about 300 calories for breakfast, I feel really good all day, but when I eat less than that, I'm hungry and just want to eat all afternoon. Are you working out too hard and not eating enough of those calories?

Play around with how many calories you're eating for your meals and the types of food you're eating and you will find the right balance eventually. Good luck!
  • SherryBaby66
    Options
    A full glass of Water helps also :)

301699.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    hmm definately you shouldn't be below 1200 clas. I think that is the bare minimum to survive. also depending on ur exercise, u shud get exercise calories that u are allowed to consume. I don't always eat mine but with working out I have atleast 100 or 200 cals extra each day.

Suggestions for snacking:
    brocolli - very filling and very low cal (skip the butter, cheese, etc)
    hummus
    baby carrots - about 30 cals per cup
  • JOY621
    Options
    I love this message boards..so supportive.

My problem I think is not enough protein. I don't eat meat at all..etc red meat, chicken..turkey. Do you have any suggestions? I am already eating a lot of soy product. I need variety.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    as to protein, nuts, legumes, whole grain pasta, protein powders (non soy based, too much soy isn't really the answer IMHO), avocado, hummus...etc. lots of good proteins out there that aren't meat. Just make sure to check and see what you need to eat with those foods to complete the proteins, incomplete (non-meat) proteins are useless to the body, you need to pair it with other foods to complete it.

Still would like to know what your daily deficit is though, it's hard to even comment without knowing if you're eating enough.
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I am on my husbands new diabetic plan so I can loose weight and eat better but I am trying to eat less carbs. However, I find if I eat more fiber & protein in a day it helps stop that hunger felling. I love Fiberone bars and eat the peanut butter ones for a snack in mid afternoon. So the peanut butter & fiber helps me get throught the rest of the day.
  • JOY621
    Options
    I eat 1,100 to 1,200 calories daily. Nuts and avocado are good but have a lot of calories though. I am trying to keep my daily calories under 1,200 calories so I still lose weight.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    My trainer tells me that she has NEVER seen any one get fat on veggies!!! And not to worry too much about counting those, as long as you dont dip them of cover them, in other words eat them plain!! So on super hungry days that is what I do, love my veggie sticks
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat 1,100 to 1,200 calories daily. Nuts and avocado are good but have a lot of calories though. I am trying to keep my daily calories under 1,200 calories so I still lose weight.

But that doesn't tell us what your calorie deficit is. Unfortunately, 1,200 isn't a magic number that works for everyone. Because of my tall frame (5'10"), if I only ate 1,200 calories I would end up going in starvation mode, which we all know is a bad thing. It makes us stop losing and possibly even start gaining weight. Banks is wanting to know the difference between your maintanence calories and what you've actually been eating. It will help everyone know if you are eating enough to prevent starvation mode.
  • JOY621
    Options
    According to Myfitness pal, 1,400 calories will maintain my weight. So the difference is about 200 calories.
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You should have high protein snacks, how much are you eating (calories), also eat lots of veggies which are low in calories, i prefer steamed hot veggies, more filling.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    According to Myfitness pal, 1,400 calories will maintain my weight. So the difference is about 200 calories.

wow, so you're pretty tiny then huh? 1400 cals, you're what? about 4'11" or so?

Remember, when you're metabolism is so low to begin with, you need to expect smaller numeric changes. Remember, a 1 lb drop for a 200 lb person is half a %, but a 1 lb drop for a 100 lb person is double that, so even though you may not be losing fast, you may still be doing so, it'll just take longer because you have so little to lose.

Also, really think about those 3 lbs. How will losing those 3 lbs affect your life? Is 3 lbs worth causing you mental stress for the next 3 to 6 months it will take to lose it? If the answer is yes, then keep working. If it's not, then maybe bring your eating up a few cals at a time until you are at or near maintenance.

That's about all I have. 3 lbs is a very small amount of weight, small enough that you can gain and lose it in water weight in the course of a day, it's hard to plan for that kind of weight loss. I know this isn't all that helpful, sorry for that.
  • JOY621
    Options
    You have been very helpful. Thanks. I should be more patient and less stressful.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    When you go onto your food log, does it say you should eat 1400 calories a day? Or does it say you should eat 1200?

If your food log on MFP is saying 1400, that means you should be eating 1400 to lose weight, not to maintain. If you click on "my home" and then "goals" and then on the right it says "your diet profile." I'm 5'5" and 225 lbs and mine says I burn 2200 calories from daily activity, so when I go on my food log and it gives me a little over 1400 calories, it means my body will burn 800 calories a day if I eat 1400.

I know it sounds crazy, but if you don't eat enough food, your body won't lose weight as well because it will think you are starving.
  • JOY621
    Options
    MFP says if I want to lose weight, I have eat 1,200 calories.