Keep my Calories Available above 1000

Options
Is it wrong that I motivate myself to keep my Calories available to more than 1000? If I get below I feel the need to take a walk in order to get it back up to 1000. I find myself doing that every day at work.. Does anyone else do such a thing or am I nuts? Well, I know I am nuts already.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You should be eating enough calories that your net calories are as close to '0' as possible. When you set up your calorie goals, you chose how quickly you wanted to lose weight. MFP set it up so if your net calories were at '0' you would lose that much weight every week.

If you're eating less, you could risk harming your body, and cause it to act in ways which will make you feel bad, and will actually make you lose weight slower.
  • LuckySar
    LuckySar Posts: 12
    Options
    If your net calories are '0' that means you are exercising ALL the calories you've eaten. Your net calories should be your "goal" for the day if you're eating back your exercise calories, or lower than your goal if you're not.

That being said, I think the original question was not phrased well, so maybe we're misinterpreting the original question.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the OP's post. Try re-phrasing it better, not sure what you're trying to ask.

As for the guy that said you want to net 0, that is so horribly not the way it works. Please please re-read how MFP is set up because you're doing it wrong. If MFP tells you to eat 1500 calories and you do that and don't exercise, your net will be 1500. This is GOOD. If you eat 1500 calories and exercise to burn 500 calories, your net will only be at 1000. You need to eat back those 500 calories to net 1500. You are supposed to be NETTING the original goal calorie number MFP gives you. You're not trying to work out to zero out that number,
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Do you mean at the end of the day you still have 1000 calories unused? If so....that's just wrong. Your not eating enough. Starvation does not mean a 'faster' or sustainable weight loss, in fact it usually results in slow weight loss and plateaus.
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    OK, so here is what I am saying. Guess I didn't think before I wrote it.

Start day at 1490
    Eat
    down to 1100
    eat
    down to 800
    Wallk to earn back another 200 to keep that number above 1000
    By the end of the day I am around 0, but I like to keep it above 1000 during the work day.

Minus breakfast, lunch and snacks..
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's generally better to have a big breakfast, then burn your calories through the day.

The reason to eat a larger breakfast is because you're actually going to use energy during the day, so you'll have the energy available.

If you eat a big dinner, your body is going to digest all the calories, then it'll have to store them because you're not using much when you sleep.

But there are people on here who don't even eat breakfast and seem to be getting good results.

If what you're doing now is working out all right with you, you never feel tired, hungry, or irritable at all, then keep going with it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    OK, so here is what I am saying. Guess I didn't think before I wrote it.

Start day at 1490
    Eat
    down to 1100
    eat
    down to 800
    Wallk to earn back another 200 to keep that number above 1000
    By the end of the day I am around 0, but I like to keep it above 1000 during the work day.

Minus breakfast, lunch and snacks..

As long as your calories remaining is near zero at the end of the day, you're fine. If turning it into a "keep a thousand for supper" game is encouraging you to get more exercise in, then I for one think it's wonderful game and you should keep playing it!

"Don Pardo, what do we have for the participants in the 'Can you Keep A Thousand for Supper'".
    "Well, Bob, our contestants are really lucky today. Each one of them gets to take home a consistent regimen of weight loss, some fun diversion, and a small improvement in fitness!"
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm still not sure I'm understanding - but it would seem like you are consuming the lion share of your calories in the evening. Technically not a bad thing as long as your staying with in goal. But IMO I've always felt that spacing my meals out equally - 3 main meals and 2 midday meals is better for my digestion and energy levels. For me, I just feel better physically doing it that way. But hey if you're losing and it works for you..carry on!
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh...*finally understands*

Me too...I'm always happy when I have a lot to "spend" for dinner. :D