Fresh Homemade Salsa

Options
Kalynx
Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
I just searched for fresh salsa recipes and the last thread has been a few months and now is the perfect time so I thought I'd start one again!

Curious if anyone has any fresh fruit salsas or different things we usually wouldn't think of right now when fruit is so plentiful and priced better (at least here it is on sale in stores).

Here is what I did the other night ...took me 10 minutes with my handy dandy food processor to dice everything up..it is delicious! even scrambled it with some eggs the first night oh man! on a tortilla, topped with cheddar, yum! Shared some of the salsa at work today, too. it was a hit!

4 large tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
4 jalapeno peppers
5-6 mini bell peppers
1 white onion
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 TBL olive oil
2 TBL vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)

Makes 5 cups.
Mine came to 1 cup = 77 calories, carbs: 10 fat: 3 protein: 2 fiber: 3 Sodium: 127 potassium: 429 Sugars: 5 chol: 0

bigsalsa.JPG
eggsnsalsa.JPG

Replies

• yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love my husband's salsa. I can't eat jar stuff at all anymore.

6 med Roma tomatoes
    1 onion
    2 Serrano peppers
    Splash of lime juice
    Handful of cilantro
    4 garlic glove

Mince peppers with seeds, garlic and cilantra. Add chopped onion, halved tomatoes and lime juice...blend. I used to eat a 9 oz bag of chips with it, but now I can eat all this salsa with 3 to 4 oz. I love salsa night!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I boil the tomatoes and peppers first. I use serranos, jalapeño, and habanero. I chop cilantro and yellow onion then purée in a blender after tomatoes and peppers have boiled for 20 min. I add salt, garlic, and cumin to taste. I serve hot.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Bump! because I love salsa and buy it by the gallon jugs.

About how long does this keep for? I can use the jug I have left and make some awesome home made to replace it if it lasts a bit. Man, now I wish I had calories left for some chips and salsa!
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have never added fruit to my homemade salsa, but have bought it with peach, plum, raisin, pineapple, cherry, etc. and it is WONDERFUL in my opinion. Growing a large garden this year so hope to make a few batches this fall and will definitely add fruit to some for variety.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Bump...I need to make my own salsa!
  • skinnyminnay
    Options
    That looks and sounds delicious, def will try. Thanks!
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!!! Thanks!
  • Kalynx
    Options
    I boil the tomatoes and peppers first. I use serranos, jalapeño, and habanero. I chop cilantro and yellow onion then purée in a blender after tomatoes and peppers have boiled for 20 min. I add salt, garlic, and cumin to taste. I serve hot.

Maybe I'm weird but I dont mind the skins and seeds one bit. I leave them in when making sauces, too - my cuisinart really gets things fine though if I let it run a while.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping, thanks for sharing
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm gonna be reincarnated as a taco shell lol
  • BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thamks for sharing.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    These are my two favorite salsas. One your typical tomato, and one fruit. The fruit salsa is amazing with chicken and brown rice.

FRESH TOMATO SALSA

2 pounds vine-ripened red and/or orange tomatoes (about 5 medium)
    2 fresh Serrano or jalapeno chilies (or to taste – I like more)
    1/4 medium onion (preferably white)
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
    1 teaspoon minced garlic (I use a little more)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    Salt and pepper to taste

Quarter and seed tomatoes. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch dice and transfer to a bowl. Wearing rubber gloves, seed and finely chop chilies. Finely chop enough onion to measure 1/4 cup and chop cilantro. Stir chilies, onion, cilantro, and garlic into tomatoes with sugar and lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Salsa may be made 1 hour ahead and kept at cool temperature. Yield: 2 1/2 cups

FRUIT SALSA
    1 c. chopped fresh fruit, we like plums
    1 c. chopped, seeded cucumber (I use the English cucumber and leave the seeds in since they're so small)
    2 T. thinly sliced green onions
    1 T. sugar (I will be trying honey next time I make this)
    1 T. salad oil (I will be using Rice Bran Oil or Avocado Oil next time)
    1 T. vinegar

In a medium bowl combine chopped fruit, cucumber, green onion, sugar, oil and vinegar. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours.
  • SarahARodgers
    SarahARodgers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just made this last night -

2 tomatoes
    1 red pepper
    1 red onion
    1 medium cucumber
    2-3 cloves garlic
    2 sprigs cilantro
    salt/pepper to taste
    1/2 lime juice
    1/2 lemon juice

Then turned 3 tablespoons of the salsa (that sat overnight) plus two avacados into guacamole as well.

I considered adding pineapple to the above salsa recipe and i think as long as you take out the garlic you could put any fruit in.
  • Kalynx
    Options
    mimi do you eat the fruit salsa with chips, too?
  • jlschleter
    Options
    I make homemade cinnamon chips for fruit salsa. Just spray both sides of soft tortilla with fat free butter spray or cooking spray and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over it. Using pizza cutter cut into triangles then bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I worked in a Mexican Restaurant and this is how we made it. I triple the recipe and end up with about a dozen pint jars. :)

Claudia's Salsa

3 14.5 oz cans of whole tomatoes (you can use canned diced also)
    10-15 Old El Paso Jalapenos
    1 onion (cut into quarters or small enough to fit into a food processor)
    2 or 3 small tomatoes (cut into quarters to go into food processor)
    3 or 4 garlic cloves
    1/4 c worchestershire sauce
    1/2 c cilantro chopped fine
    1 TBSP cumin
    salt to taste

Directions:

In a food processor or blender add onions and tomatoes that have been quartered. Pulse until very small bits. Pour into large bowl.

Next, add tomatoes, jalapenos, and garlic to the food processor. Blend, don't puree, leave it a little chunky. Add to the tomatoes and onions along with the last four ingredients. Stir and taste.

Refrigerate and store in an air tight container.

**You can always add more spices or peppers. Enjoy

YwADtl.jpg
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I love to make my own salsa from the garden. I never cook mine and I don't seed anything but the jalopenos if they are extra hot. I also add banana peppers. I hand chop all my veggies because I LOVE it chunky! The chunkier the better. As far as how long it will keep? I've never had any stay around long enough to know!! LOL

all kinds of tomatoes from garden, diced
    white onions, diced
    garlic, minced
    banana peppers, diced
    jalopeno peppers, diced
    bell peppers, diced
    lime juice
    hot sauce (to taste)
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    mimi do you eat the fruit salsa with chips, too?
    I never tried it, but I don't see why not. :) I pretty much always served it with rice and chicken...or some other protein.
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    I make homemade cinnamon chips for fruit salsa. Just spray both sides of soft tortilla with fat free butter spray or cooking spray and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over it. Using pizza cutter cut into triangles then bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes
    Oh yum! I bet those would be delicious with the fruit salsa!