Scales off

Options
So I did my weigh in today - and I got on the scale 3 times.

238lbs
235lbs
236lbs

Which number would you use? I have always debated this with my bf about which attempt on the scale would be most accurate - though i do believe the 1st would (238), I decided to go with 237lbs as the jump from 238, and 235 was significant.

What is your scale routine - is this normal, and what would you do about it?

Replies

• rainforestboots
    rainforestboots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Were the 3 different weights at different times of the day or did you step on 3 times in a row?
    I always step on mine 3 times too, not sure why, but if mine gave me 3 different weights I would change the batteries, if that didn't fix it I would throw it away and buy a new scale!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale 3 times in a row, not through out the day.

I actually just purchased this one not too long ago.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Step on one time and hope I like the number.
  • sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I only step on it once for that reason. I use to use the highest number if i got 3 different numbers.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    just like body-fat caliper testing, I would average the three results.

ETA: so something like 236.3, or just 236. but i always like to err on the higher end of things so i give myself more wiggle room next week, provided i made progress this week! haha
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My scale is easy to fool...if I shift more weight to the front of the scale it reads heavier, but when I shift to the back it reads lighter.

I try to stand up straight and centered to get the proper reading somewhere in the middle, and I'll repeat a couple times to get the same number at least twice if not three times.
  • rcillo219
    rcillo219 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue with a brand new scale! Also, I've noticed if I weigh myself every day it gives me the same number, and I know full well I have lost weight. When that happens I pick up a 5 lb weight and hold it while I step on the scale so it changes the number then step on again without the weight and it gives me what I actually am. Honestly I may give up on the stupid thing all together since weighing myself has become such a crazy routine!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! I use the highest number.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The scale is not working properly. I would get a new one.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've quit using electronic scales because of this and use an old fashioned mechanical one. You only have accuracy to 1/2 a kilo but it doesnt run out of batteries or give me nonsense numbers