what is the best method of excercising?

Options
I am trying to lose 100 pounds in a year, but i find it's really hard for me to work out, or have motivation too, i guess i would like to try something fun. I also used to workout a few moths ago, but i worked out with friends. Me and my husband have moved to a different state, i barely have any friends, let alone people that would work out with me. I hate doing things by myself. anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would find some fitness classes in your area that you can try out without making a longtem commitment to a gym membership. That way you can experiment with different things, see what you like and make friends with other people in the class. I was a big Jazzerciser in the 80's. Now there is Zumba and all sorts of other fun things. Maybe check out the local YMCA or city community center.
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is signing up with a trainer. I have a standing appt 2x a week for 1/2hr. By doing it that way, its made me keep it in the forefront, and not as easy to cancel or decide I just dont want to go for whatever reason. Its well worth the money, and he keeps me motivated, and keeps it fun. Hard, but fun.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There is no best method that is for everyone. I would suggest joining a gym with classes if you want to get out and get to know people. If you are not ready for that yet, get some good DVD's and some weights for your home. And then there's always the great outdoors for things like walking, running, biking, hiking, etc... Good luck!
  • misslovely51
    Options
    I fyou like to dance try to find a zumba class it's always full of ppl and I have made a few friends and they are very helpful
  • misslovely51
    Options
    Yes the ymca is where I go and they have a variety of different fitness classes
  • KSmarie333
    KSmarie333 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all. :)
  • bluespace7
    Options
    Hi there! I just completed the P.I.N.K. Method workout (http://www.pinkmethod.com). The program is in 3 phases approximately one month each. I started March 2012 and I have since lost 26 pounds, trimmed 12 inches. I am thrilled with the results. The DVD' are easy to follow, the instructors are motivating, the structure sensible. It is a combination of eating healthy (no sugar, no alcohol, no wheat, limited starches, etc. mostly low glyecmic). It gave me results quickly. I followed the workout structure quite rigidly and it works ladies! Plus it is geared exclusively towards women. There are quite a few Facebook support groups, online support from the PINK team and a phone number to call with questions. Cynthia Pasqualla is the creator of the program and makes herself very accessible for questions as well. Love this program!
  • KSmarie333
    Options
    Your dog is so cute. Just like my dad's back home. I miss him. :/
  • KSmarie333
    Options
    @SherryTeach. ^^^^^
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling in this area too. I feel like I have my diet under control, but fitness is a struggle. The problem for me is when I work out hard (like when I did p90x last summer) it almost back fires cause then I am ravenous all the time.

So now I have been embracing the whole way of life change instead of "going on a diet" and I am trying to find a form of exercise I enjoy and that I can see myself still doing when I am a lil old lady. So lately I have been doing a lot of walking with some major hills, some light jogging (with walking breaks) on a flat route, and I still do yoga (been practicing that for like 10 yrs but that is more for my mind, the body benefits are secondary).
  • UrbanSpaceman75
    Options
    Something that's worked for me is rebounding/indoor trampolining.

Rather than watching television sitting on the sofa, I try to watch it jogging on the spot on the mini-trampoline. Or if I'm feeling tired, walking on the spot or some very light bouncing. It's all better than just sitting.

The main advantages for me are that I don't need to leave the house, I can fit in small bursts if I want to, it's private, and if what I'm watching is good, I'll forget I'm exercising and lose myself in it. But it does involve turning the volume up quite loud, and so might be annoying/distracting for others. It's also not that expensive.

Some of the companies who sell these things (or at least some of them) make rather dubious claims about rebounding as some kind of super-exercise, and misquote some NASA research (which is actually about bone density). But as a way of doing some low-embarrassment indoor jogging or walking, I'd recommend it.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I am trying to lose 100 pounds in a year, but i find it's really hard for me to work out, or have motivation too, i guess i would like to try something fun. I also used to workout a few moths ago, but i worked out with friends. Me and my husband have moved to a different state, i barely have any friends, let alone people that would work out with me. I hate doing things by myself. anybody have any suggestions?

In the same boat. Just moved far far away from anything familiar, no friends, partner is away for the next 4 months. Trying to do this alone.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I would try a variety of things until you find something you enjoy. I would do that thing. Swimming is great. Yoga. Zumba. Jogging. Take your partner or friends with you on a bike ride or to fitness classes.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You can exercise all day long, and I encourage you to but you need to have a balanced attack besides that. The magic formula that I subscribe to is:

1. Diet (use MFP to figure out how many calories a day to hit your target weight)

2. Weight training

3. Cardio ( this should be highly intensive but doesn't have to be jogginng)

If you do all 3 consistently, you will lose weight.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This is largely subjective question.

While your goal is achievable, it is very aggressive and lends itself to considerable muscle loss.

For sheer efficiency of time, lack of relative impact on joints, and total body impact (think muscle retention), I would recommend swimming laps. Work your way up to hitting the 4 basic strokes (front crawl, back crawl, breast stroke, butterfly) eventually as you lap.

Eat back your exercise calories doing this and get lots of protein (1 gram per pound of desired weight). Drink lots of water as well.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, the first 2 weeks you may actually see a weight gain as the body retains water as the muscles adapt to the new activity. That is water and it is normal. You will shed it quickly when the body adjusts to the new stress.
  • KSmarie333
    Options
    Thank you all very much, these tips i am sure will help me a lot! :) in the past week i have already lost about 3 or more pounds. I am so excited to lose this weight and see what i look like, and how it will feel. I really can't wait!!!