Need to be 179 by July 20th.

Options
My current weight is 182, and I started at 200 about a month and three weeks ago. I set my goal to losing two pounds per week. According to this I should be 180 by the twentieth.

My initial weight before gaining all of this weight was 176, and I know that if I get below that my motivation will sky rocket because I'll feel like i'm actually beginning to lose weight instead trying to get back to square one. My ultimate goal is to be 145-150 by my birthday (which is November 7th).

Now, I know that if i'm not under 180 by the twentieth i'm going to get discouraged. I've been toggling between 181 and 184 this entire week and it tends to frustrate me. I'm afraid that i'm going start getting impatient if I don't meet my short term goal as quickly as I had planned. I just really don't want to go back to old habits.

I'm thinking about actually walking a mile everyday and not eating back the calories, maybe I just need to exercise more.

Sorry this was more of me ranting than wanting concrete advice.

How do you keep yourself motivated?
Also, do short terms goals tend to help keep you on track or discourage you?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Short term goals discourage me. In any given day, the human body naturally varies in weight, so it may seem like I gained 2 pounds just by having a small walk! lol. So, I try to stick to weekly reviews.

Pick a day of the week and a time, and EVERY week at that SAME time, weigh yourself.

I fully agree with picking up a walk. More exercise is always better. Always. I like to throw on my headphones and just walk around my neighborhood for an hour. It really helps clear the head, relieve stress, and spends some calories. Talk about a total winner!

Your weight loss seems to be very quick in my opinion. I would suggest trying not to maintain that quick of losses in fear of shocking your body into protecting itself.
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    short term goals are bad for me...i have set a long term goal and have decided what i want to look like weight wise and otherwise, health notwithstanding....because i have experienced being underweight due to health problems beyond my control...so i'm more hoping to a healthy light weight moving on....

another reason i don't set short term goals for weight loss is that i am tempted to binge when i achieve it....so have had to change my mindset....

i have lost a lot of weight and found that maintenance is the hardest part for me....

wishing you luck...hope you achieve your goal and maintain your new weight....
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    I think you should look at what you HAVE achieved and not at what you haven't. So, you're possibly going to be 1 or 2lb off your goal, but your weight can vary by that much each day anyway. Try to be positive. You are not failing, you are winning.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I cannot set up a time line for anything, it puts more stress on me which will make me gain fat. I've been on a 7 month plateau stuck between 2lbs... but I've gained strength. Instead of measuring your weight, try measuring yourself with a tape measure. I haven't lost weight but I've lost inches. Hope that helps.