hurtful comments = motivation?

Options
does anyone find that hurtful comments make them more motivated?

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I use everything negative as fuel
  • Worth_the_Weight
    Options
    Eh I'm an emotional creature so words = hurtful for me...especially the infamous "You have such a pretty face, if you lost weight you'd be....".

ACTIONS = Motivation (4 me). Kinda twisted but when people act negative toward me whether it be just plain "hatin'" (ie eye rolling, sabotage) or me missing opportunities because someones judging me by my weight or simply me not participating in activities due to my self consciousness . Things that get in the way of my life are strong motivators for me.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    yes, we are going to see my in-laws next month and that is a big motivation, my MIL likes to make snide little comments, even though the highest i've even been was 130, so she can suck it. not that it matters, she will still have something to say no matter what i do... glad she lives in another state
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think truly hurtful comments are inappropriate and not useful. However, hard but honest criticism is sometimes needed. I have seen far too many MFPrs seeking quick solutions to a problem that cannot be solved quickly.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love for people to call me things (like fat) to keep me motivated. it helps a ton.

hating yourself just gets old after a while.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Dita von Teese said something along the lines of, "you can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches." Hurtful people are part of life, unfortunately, but your strength comes from how much you let those comments define who you are. As hard as it can be, remember that you're only living your life for one person, and that's yourself. Use whatever you need to stay motivated, and just remember that there just will be no pleasing some people - even if you're a total peach!
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    no hurtful comments don't motivate me...they are buzz killers for me and leave me reeling...

i respond better to gentle encouragement...
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    speaking of hurtful comments...i had one two summers ago when i weighed about 150; 15 pounds less than what I weigh now...I was at a bar during the day near the beach having a few drinks enjoying the music and dancing with my best friend along with every stranger in sight (boys or chicks). Just having a good time. Anyway, a random guy starts to make his way and his buddy pulls him aside and "whispers" in his ear "no fat chicks".... mother effer....i read lips and i saw what you just said! grrrr....and no, his buddy didnt dance with me.

It didnt motivate me AT ALL but it did crush my heart and i dwelled on that one little stupid comment for weeks :(
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    does anyone find that hurtful comments make them more motivated?

Yes, especially when they were being yelled at you by angry, demented Army drill sergeants! :smile:
  • cnewlin86
    cnewlin86 Posts: 87
    Options
    I was out running with my son the other day and we went by a family member's house where a mutal friend was visiting. We stopped and the friend said, "your doing what I need to be doing. I've put on weight and I can see you have too. Last summer you looked a lot thinner." I smiled and said, yes I had put on weight which was why I was running and trying to get back in shape. I didn't get mad because to me it was like an eye opening moment.

Sometimes we get in a bubble and think that we are the only ones that have noticed our weight gain. I thought I was hiding it with my clothes and that maybe no one noticed but now I know that others have noticed and I'm sure they've even remarked on it to other people. Who hasn't at some point in there life ran into someone and than later said to their friend, mother, spouse, whoever "have you seen Jane Doe lately?? SHe is really putting on some weight!"

I know that I have done that and now I'm on the other end of it. People have noticed I have gained weight and if I wasnt all ready trying to do something about it I would have started than. Instead I am using it as motivation to keep going. WHen people talk about me behind my back I dont want it to be because Ive gained weight but rather because I've lost it and I lost by eating right and exercising. Not some miracle pills or drinks. I'm working hard to lose this weight and I will succeed!
  • piinchi
    Options
    speaking of hurtful comments...i had one two summers ago when i weighed about 150; 15 pounds less than what I weigh now...I was at a bar during the day near the beach having a few drinks enjoying the music and dancing with my best friend along with every stranger in sight (boys or chicks). Just having a good time. Anyway, a random guy starts to make his way and his buddy pulls him aside and "whispers" in his ear "no fat chicks".... mother effer....i read lips and i saw what you just said! grrrr....and no, his buddy didnt dance with me.

It didnt motivate me AT ALL but it did crush my heart and i dwelled on that one little stupid comment for weeks :(
    That is horrible!! What a ****. That guy isn't even worth your time.

I had a similar thing happen - when I was 19, I was so tiny! I think I was... 135 or something? I am 5'7" by the way. I was dating a guy who one night while cuddling on the couch, pinched my stomach skin and said "babe you're so perfect, if you just lost a couple more inches from your stomach..." There are just always going to be people like that out there! These days, if someone tries to take me down like that again, I just turn around and walk away and let them get a good long look at my lovely posterior, which they are kindly invited to kiss. :drinker:
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Reverse psychology definitely works for me. It is the one reason I still believe my parents are looking out for my best interest. I have to believe they know this about me, and they are doing it on purpose, haha. If we were all perfectly healthy, mentally, we would not struggle with weight.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Dita von Teese said something along the lines of, "you can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches." Hurtful people are part of life, unfortunately, but your strength comes from how much you let those comments define who you are. As hard as it can be, remember that you're only living your life for one person, and that's yourself. Use whatever you need to stay motivated, and just remember that there just will be no pleasing some people - even if you're a total peach!
    wow can I repost this on my page??????
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    Eventually it can turn into motivation for me, but initially it's just that, hurtful. I'm of the sensitive heritage. :)
  • piinchi
    Options
    wow can I repost this on my page??????

Sure, yo!
  • chunkydunk714
    Options
    [/quote]

I had a similar thing happen - when I was 19, I was so tiny! I think I was... 135 or something? I am 5'7" by the way. I was dating a guy who one night while cuddling on the couch, pinched my stomach skin and said "babe you're so perfect, if you just lost a couple more inches from your stomach..." There are just always going to be people like that out there! These days, if someone tries to take me down like that again, I just turn around and walk away and let them get a good long look at my lovely posterior, which they are kindly invited to kiss. :drinker:
    [/quote]

hahahaha yup. Guys can be so mean! (no offense to any on here) but i've had some horrible experiences...this only being a minor incidient.
  • chunkydunk714
    Options
    oops didnt post the quote right...sorry
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

[/quote]

hahahaha yup. Guys can be so mean! (no offense to any on here) but i've had some horrible experiences...this only being a minor incidient.
    [/quote]

Well as a representative of the male species I want to say your pretty effing hot!!!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My mom, at my highest weight, told me to "accept" that I was a "full-blown woman" and would never be able to lose weight. 23 pounds later and I'm in the best shape of my life.... I was a little motivated by spite.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yes...it fuels my desire to keep going, but I find it rather irritating when people make those kinds of comments, as if it is really any of their business!!!